home

Author Topic: Takenoko returns to the hobby  (Read 24596 times)

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
Takenoko returns to the hobby
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
Having been a frequent lurker here for almost a year now, I have finally decided to make a log. I had a break from the hobby for four or five years, but when I moved back to Sweden this fall I decided it was time to come back. The Empire has always had a special place in my heart, and following the new releases this summer, not to mention all the love Forgeworld has been showing the Empire, I decided to build a new army. I had a semi-finished Averland army from before, but since I hate how it's painted and strongly dislike painting yellow and black, I have now turned to Altdorf instead. Altdorf also has the advantage of giving me an excuse to field everything I like...

I'm a slow painter, but I have finished my first bunch of nights and am currently working my way through some halberdiers. Photos will follow, but for now I have a different query.

Before I came back to Sweden, I decided that I deserved a homecoming gift from me, so I bought the lovely Elsbeth von Draken from FW. Since then, she's been disassembled in a box while I've busied myself with other stuff, but now I'm feeling the temptation growing. At least, I want to assemble her. The problem is her base:

As you can see, it's horribly molded. I don't know if this is common amongst FW stuff, but it will not do for me. So the question is, how should I base her? What base size is reasonable for a dragon? Should I get a large monster base, or is it the size she came on enough? Also, do you think I should try to remove the molded base and replace it with a plastic one, or is it viable to resculpt it with greenstuff? I'm not exactly talented at sculpting, and I fear it might look even mor clumsy should I try to mend it. If the base size is too small for "official" play (which she of course will never enter anyway, but still...) I'll have to get rid of it in any case, but what do you think?

I will return with more colour at a later time. For now, I hope you can help me out of my indecisiveness.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:54:34 PM by takenoko »

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
Re: Takenoko returns to the hobby (Or, 'in Altdorf there be dragons')
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
Ok, I took some not very good pictures of my first batch of knights. I went with Reiksguard, since I wanted to keep my palette down (coming back to the hobby after five years meant I had to buy all colours new...) I'm sorry that the light is bad, but since this is a depressingly dark country, I don't expect to be able to do much better before spring...

I haven't based them yet. I bought a can of GW's structures paint, but since that turned out to be shit, I haven't been able to finnish them yet. Expect to buy some sand next week, do it old school...

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »
I haven't based them yet. I bought a can of GW's structures paint, but since that turned out to be shit, I haven't been able to finnish them yet. Expect to buy some sand next week, do it old school...

Do you mean the new Texture paints? I've not heard of their Structures paint. I don't know if it's as bad as you seem to indicate, but I tried it out on the base of the Pleasant Surprise I sent out. I picked up a pot at my local store and I painted over the sand I put on the base and I thought it turned out with a decent texture. I used it because the sand I used was a bit too coarse in texture and this helped fit in all the texture. I honestly probably wouldn't buy anymore, but it was worth trying it out. I can probably make my own with a very fine grained sand I have.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »
Yes, that's what they're called... I don't know, my hope was that it would provide a swift and easy way to texture my bases, but it really did not live up to my expectations. Coped with the price per bin and the amount you would need to get a decent finish, I decided not to use it. Sand works fine, after all, and it's almost free.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »
Nice and clean!  I like the red and white combination.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »
Small update: Yesterday I finished sculpting on an old project, a mounted version of my foot lore of Beasts wizard. The guy on foot was one of the first models I painted for my previous Averland force (six years ago, maybe), and he in turn is based on a recurring NPC in an old WFRP campaign I did. He was an Albionian (Albino?) druid called MacMillian, and he hunted Skaven.

The picture is bad (also, if someone could stick a note on how to reduce the size of images in the "how to post images" thread, that would be much appreciated...), but he was based on a plastic Beasts wizard. The new version is based on the mounted Beasts wizard, converted similarly to the guy on foot - a longer and more natural cloak, plus a less "4th editiony" staff. I put horns of one of the skulls because I was tired, might lose them later...

More updates will follow soon... You comments are much appreciated!

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
So, I've had a couple of weird and busy weeks with much less time for painting then I expected, but...update! My mounted Amber wizard is now done, and I'm fairly satisfied with the result. I opted for less common colours, moving away from my old "wild = brown" idea. I made the pelt a black bear and gave him a red beard to add some colour (also, red beards are awesome). I also experimented with painting bronze on his jewelry and claws, since I will soon move on to artillery (soon as in within the next couple of months...)

And a group shot: The might of Altdorf!

Next in line is my first block of infantry.

Comments are always appreciated!

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
looking good, looking good. The mounted wizard looks like a guy from the movie, thirteenth warrior.
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »
December and January turned out to be much more busy than anticipated, so I haven't had a lot of time to paint lately. While my plan was to focus on my halberdiers, I've only managed five so far. At least I now how have a few models in the colours of Altdorf...

I also got sidetracked by this months painting challenge, as I had a newly stripped Witch Hunter in my bitz box. First time I painted this guy he looked aweful, but this attempt turned out ok, I think. It's hard to balance state colours and grimness, but I think black leather did the trick.

I really hate painting banners and stuff freehand, but his cloak is too big to be empty, it looked weird. The cross is the same as on the knights, as simple as possible...

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »
For some reason, I have much less time to paint than I had hoped to, but a small update. I've painted a few more halberdiers, including their halfling drummer - the Empire should be multi-cultural, I hope that my army will reflect this - as well as a shadow wizard. Failed miserably in my attempt to take individual pictures, so a group picture again:

Also, it seems that I will play my first game of WFB in four years next weekend. I'm very excited. All the rules changes that have occured since 6th edition still confuse me, but it will be great to try them out on the field.

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
Re: Takenoko returns to the hobby (update: Gotrek Gurnison)
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 09:22:28 PM »
I've had some motivation problems lately, so in order to get back to painting I allowed myself to do something a little bit different - Gotrek. I've had him for years but never got around to painting him, and since he and Felix work fluff-wise in an Empire army I felt I might as well give it a go. He was incredibly fun to paint, especially the orange. I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed it, really.

Now I'm back to painting halberdiers, however. Not so much fun, but very rewarding.

Offline henrysouth

• Members
Re: Takenoko returns to the hobby
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
Embrace the base for the dragon. Sculpt down over the sides of the mould patch. Mine came with the same problem. But it's such a good model.
http://4gotowar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/eleanor-finished.html

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
Nice work on your Knights' banner. :::cheers:::
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
HS: I've actually decided to build a Griffon size base for her. Put the base of the dragon back-center on the base, scult a slope from Milliput or Green stuff, and then fill it with stuff. I have an idea to make Dragon footprints with water in them (Jurassic Park-style), and maybe throw on a dead horse or something. I think a large base is the most correct for a Dragon rules-wise, and it might give some stability to the model as well.

Perfesser: Thank you. I suck at freehand, so I try to keep it as simple as possible. It was much easier in the old days of paper banners...

Offline Luthor

• Members
-
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
-
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:06:08 PM by Luthor »

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »
While he is horribly painted, I'm still fond of the conversion. The base is the old Talisman (I think) shaman character, which was later released in a box of plastic wizards. You can see the original here: http://www.coolminiornot.com/232078 I used greenstuff to stretch out his cloak and reshape the staff. Also, this was done many years ago, and I take no responsibility for the paint job...

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
Update! I have finally finished painting my first block of infantry, 30 old-school halberdiers (all I had). Unfortunatley/fortunatley, I received 15 more from a friend just as I finished the unit, so I'm now going to paint 10 more to make a horde. Also, the standard needs to be redone. In an attempt to avoid freehand painting, I just painted the initials KF in one corner, but it looks rubbish so I will have to face my deamons. Still, a (poor) picture of the unit at the moment:

I have also painted the old Imperial Noble from Warhammer Quest (now forming a formidable pair together with my Witch Hunter). Fairly happy with how he turned out, especially since I seem to have finally learnt how to paint less-than-rubbish gems.

In line now, apart from the ten halberds, are five pistoliers, a mortar and an organ gun. After this, I think I will turn my attention to Elsbeth...

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »
The noble looks top notch!
"What I like best about a siege is that there is nowhere for them to run..."
+++ Witch-hunter Zacharia Schmundt +++

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »
The  Warhammer Quest miniatures were some of the best minis GW has done, the Imperial Noble, Witch Hunter and Warrior Priest are great minis.

Great job on the Noble, it's a mini I've always wanted  :::cheers:::
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »
Thank you for your feedback! Yeah, the Warhammer Quest minis are excellent. Except for the fact that they carry exceptionally large weapons (even for Warhammer!), they are beautiful sculpts. I've always wanted the Noble, so when I received him from a friend a couple of weeks ago I was very excited. I really want the old Warrior Priest as well, even if I think GW has produced quite a few better priest models in later years...

I actually have the original Warhammer Quest box stored away, so it is possible that the original four adventurers might also find their way into my army eventually...

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »
Time for an update, I think. I've been working on my pistoliers for way longer than I should, and still have a bit left to go. Horses are killing me - I love the models, but horses are aweful to paint. I'm almost done with them now, however, and I assume the riders could take no more than a week at most, so there should be pictures around next weekend. Anyway, when my hatred towards the equine species has been too strong, I have managed to paint a couple of characters in between. First out: Foot version of my soon to be captasus. He can and will also be used as a regular captain on foot:

I experimented with clear vanish on the fish, and I'm fairly happy with the result. Second, my wizard for the lore of metal:

I've had this model for ages, painted in a red colour scheme that made him look like Santa. Tried to move away as far as possible from this now, and I think it worked fairly well. Not really a fantastic model, but as a metal wizard he feels fairly solid.

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
Time for a update! I do struggle with finding time for painting in between everything else ("life" etc), but after a long time in the making I finally managed to finnish my unit of Pistoliers. While I love the models and am fairly happy with the result, I really really hate painting horses... It might have been a mistake doing all five as a bunch, it took ages and in some ways made me less interested in painting. Anyway, here goes!

They look a bit glossy, but I think that the matt (Vallejo) varnish I use tends to get a bit less glossy with time. Also, they are on my first fully painted movement tray. I exeperimented with sculpting stones on the base, and since the result is decent I'm likely to do the same for the rest of my units.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 02:48:43 AM »
nice  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Since I finished my pistoliers I have been able to paint some faster, easier and more fun stuff. I shall soon turn my attention back to my halberdiers, where i have 20 more to paint before I have a decent horde of 50. However, I decided to paint some other useful things in between. First out is my first warrior priest. It's a classic model and not very intersting compared to later renditions, but I wanted to try out the paint scheme on him first. Fairly happy with the result, given the not too impressive quality of the model to begin with.

Second, I've been fielding a lot of artillery lately, with a random selection of uniforms (most stuff I own is either my older models or second-hand). After the splendid job my artillery did in halting a Chaos horde two weeks ago, I felt they deserved to get some Altdorfers out there. I absolutely love the commander, from the classic Great Cannon. His face is fantastic, like so many of the old Empire models. Watching facial features emerge after some washing and some dry-brushing is without a doubt my favorite part of painting.

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 08:48:23 AM »
I love the expression on the engineer

My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/