home

Author Topic: I Have a Few Questions  (Read 1363 times)

Offline 101st Vostroyan

• Members
I Have a Few Questions
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »
Hello all,

After redoing my army list last night I have a few general (and maybe specific) questions about the army.

1) How do you find your Arch lector on war alter to fair in games? After looking at him again, he actually seems like a decent choice besides the fact that he takes up a good amount of points without even beginning to kit him out...

2)What is the reason for the prevalence of characters in many lists I see. I know Empire is all about the buffs and synergy and thats what characters do for Empire but in my lists at least I prefer many and varying units that can work together.

3) Why oh why the 50+ units with huge detachments and major buffs on them?! I understand that some people may feel that that is the best way to play empire but how is that really playing. If you run 3 units, 1 of which is impossible to move with any tactical sense and you just wait for the enemy to close and hold them up all game, how are you really playing the game...(and how does that not get stale after 2 seconds)

(sorry for the ranty tone but I hate hordes with a burning passion)

With my empire I run units of 30 which people may immediately say is way too small but I prefer the flexibility the units offer...and I can have more of them.

4) What is the general consensus on cavalry? I know that they are favored now by some and that some like to run huge cav units. I plan to use a unit of 6 Reiksguard knights, 5 inner circle and 5 regular knights with great weapons in 2500. The idea is that the cavalry is held in "strategic reserve" until they are needed in the battle to work around the enemy flanks and charge into units tied up by my infantry.

Thanks

Offline FriscoEmpire

• Members
Re: I Have a Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »
I agree with your dislike of hordes.  (Hordes are for Skaven.)  I don't understand the point in taking a block of 50+ into a game.  It's unwieldy and, as you say, boring as all get out.    It seems more in the spirit of the Empire to field multiple smaller units with greater mobility.  I do like the idea of coordinating detachments with them.  Part of what makes Empire exciting is learning to creatively wield such a force.

For the same reason I'm against big blocks of knights.  They look impressive, and I'm sure they hit hard.  But anything more than 5x2 or 6x2 seems over the top.  Again, I'd rather creatively field multiple smaller cavalry units (and mix it up with some Demigryph units and the other mounted options), working in mounted warrior priests and various magic standards.  That seems more exciting and dynamic than one big block of 25 knights.

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »
The problem with taking many smaller (30 models) units is that most of the buffs or abilities come from having a character in your unit or in your regiment unit (if you are a detachment).

If you focus on smaller units, I think you need to take an AL/WA instead of WP in each unit.  I think you need the buff wagons to spread your buffage to as much as your army as you can. You also need to pick spells that can affect multiple units, like lore of heaven.  But when you bubble buff, the casting value goes way up.

It just seems easier to put a WP and Captain in a block of 40-50 and the hatred and hold the line pass on to the detachment of 20-25.

To each their own though.  Do what makes you happy to play the game.  Personally, I like seeing a unit of greatswords smash into a unit of temple guard/chaos warriors/etc. and both sides removing casualties.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:34:10 PM »

It just seems easier to put a WP and Captain in a block of 40-50 and the hatred and hold the line pass on to the detachment of 20-25.

+1

bubble buff

This just became my new favorite term. I'm going to try and use it in a sentence every day.
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »

+1

bubble buff

This just became my new favorite term. I'm going to try and use it in a sentence every day.

Lore of Beasts also has bubble buffs for characters.  So that is another excuse to say it.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:32:08 PM »
I took a bubble buff the other night. Oh wait....
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
I always try to merge my bubble buffs. :engel: