home

Author Topic: Reiters!  (Read 10064 times)

HammerOSigmar

Reiters!
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:45:17 AM »
In the 16th century the Holy Roman Empire (Germany) starting in the Italian Wars. They used a cavalryman known as the Reiter. He was decked out in Plate Armour, given a Lance and a few Pistols or so. These Reiter units performed sterling duty riding around on their horses and annoying the French heavy cavalry and charging them once they had engaged the Pike Center. I think the Reiter should be inc. into the Empire Army instead of Pistoliers. Here are the Reiters

M  WS BS S T W I A LD
4    4    3  3 3 1  3 1 7

Equipment: Lance, Full Plate Armour, Pistol

Mount: Warhorse

Special Rules: Fast Cavalry

Reiter Charge: It was common for the Reiter to shoot his pistol as he charged allowing him to shoot his pistol at a -1 Modifier in combination with the units charge. This does not count in combat resolution but if any usually panic qualifiers are still in play for ex. If the unit takes 25% or greater causalities.

Offline riff100

• Members
Re: Reiters!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:18:54 AM »
how many points?

Offline Lord Etharion

• Members
  • RIP Rufas
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:34:29 AM »
For fast cav with a 3+ armour save, 1 s5 and 1 s4 AP attack on the charge, and better-than-average shooting? A lot. Like 28 points per or something. Seriously, these guys can do everything and they have zero downsides.
Quote from: Shadowlord
Moo-moo land here I come.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I only wish moo-moo land didn't have an internet connection.

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 04:58:41 AM »
Isn't there a rule fast cavalry can only have a 5+ armor save at best?

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 06:45:04 AM »
similar philosophy and similar way to play as well as similar historical inspiration to these, http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=24920.0

I'd consider also doing a stradiot inspired type cavalry, based on the medium cavalry from the balkans and lower carpathians.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »
Reiters, stradiots, etc were the bridge between knights and light horse (the english also had reivers which were similar to Reiters) and the forerunner of modern cavalry/dragoons

I would say they had heavy armour, no barding, spear (not lance) brace of pistols, no shield (but maybe a buckler)

They arent fast horse, but they are versatile, flexible cavalry units that can grab territory, harrass flanks and een do damage hand to hand.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:23:57 PM »
I also wouldn't say they get a pistol shot as they charge. Use the old Mordhiem rule where each Knight in base contact gets an extra attack at str4 in the 1st round of combat (when charging) when being charged they may stand and shoot as normal.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline yakmastermax

• Members
  • Empire, Guard, Tau, i like guns!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:02:19 PM »
is this unit meant to replace pistoliers / fulfill the same role?

I think the empire does lack a "light" calvary unit. Something with heavy armor, shield, then mounted for a +3 save, then the pistol rule seems cool, and either lances or spears depending on the rules about the pistol.
Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

HammerOSigmar

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »
I did some more research and the Reiter did have a Spear instead of a Lance. In regards to Folken there is no such rule.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 09:01:32 PM »
Isn't there a rule fast cavalry can only have a 5+ armor save at best?

I think the catch is some fast cav. units have the option to take barding, at the price of lost the fast cav trait.  Not a BRB rule, but written in to most every fast cav unit with the option for armor.  I could be extremely wrong though.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 11:57:52 PM »
Barding, armor or shields are all ways they can improve their armor save.  Anything that would improve their armor save above a 5+ for any fast cavalry makes them lose that rule in all the lists I have encountered.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 12:02:35 AM »
But my point is that it's not a rule in the sense of, there's no specific place in ANY book that says "Any time a fast cavalry unit improves its armor save, it loses the fast cavalry quality".

It IS a rule in the sense that EVERY fast cav unit loses that quality if it takes armor...it's written into EVERY unit.  So, it's a de facto rule, I guess you'd say.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Lord Etharion

• Members
  • RIP Rufas
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:41:56 AM »
Yeah, like the 'rule' that you can't cast spells while wearing armour. For most mages, it's simply the fact that they don't get armour options.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 03:26:15 AM »
Precisely.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 05:04:52 AM »
The old Hobgoblin Cavalry came with a 4+ save - light armour, shield, and mount.

The Reiters...eh.  I'd take a looser "Freelancer" option instead - mounted with heavy armour and sword, option for spear and pistol, lance, or shield.  But I'd take Demilancers over both.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Lord Etharion

• Members
  • RIP Rufas
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »
How would you do demilancers?

I'd probably do it as pistoliers being allowed to replace one pistol with a lance for some amount of points, probably between 0 and 2.

My initial instinct was that having lances and pistols would be really hella powerful, but they would still be less powerful than 6th ed pistoliers, which weren't exactly broken.

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »
Demilancers - human (WS3, Ld7) on horse, light armour, lance, and hand weapon, 14 points.  May carry a (singular) pistol for +4 pts.  Full command options.  Fast Cavalry.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 02:20:36 AM »
Command at 7 for mus and 14 for others?
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 03:13:21 AM »
Yup.

Offline badpixie

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
I have always assumed that Pistoliers were GW's take on Reiters. Going back to the original is therefore pointless.

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
The only time fast cavalry no longer becomes fast cavalry is when they are given barding to their warhorses.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 03:29:39 AM »
The only time fast cavalry no longer becomes fast cavalry is when they are given barding to their warhorses.

Or shields and light armour(see the gobliun fast cav entry in the army book)
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »
http://images.wikia.com/totalwar/images/d/d4/HolyRomanEmpireReiters_01.png

They do have spears but the picture doesn't show that.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »
http://images.wikia.com/totalwar/images/d/d4/HolyRomanEmpireReiters_01.png

They do have spears but the picture doesn't show that.

Ah total war reiters... my favourite unit of cav in the game... Just like pistoliers for me in fantasy, they are just awesome.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »
Actually those French archers are just as awesome, three units of them with gold chevrons, priceless...