home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 67842 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2019, 03:10:12 PM »
Ravening Hordes describes the 5th edition method.

Like Fidelis mentioned, its the middle model in the back that is not placed - you still have models on the left and right.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2019, 02:52:38 AM »
Ok thanks! I am going to make a lance shaped movement tray for them.

I mostly fixed my Elf's spear. Have a little shaping to do. Hope this doesn't happen a third time.

Also...

!!! BIG NEWS ALERT !!!

So I came up with this idea a few weeks ago, and things went in motion pretty quickly because some great auctions came along and I pounced. But I wanted to wait till everything was in place before mentioning it.

I am building a pure Gnoblar/Hobgoblin army. Well, a 700 point one, so a small one.

I am using Ravening Hordes, but leaving out the Chaos Dwarves.

I had planned some time ago to use some leftover Gnoblars to put towards a Chaos Dwarf army, but I can't get into the Chaos Dwarves at the moment. Maybe some day. But in the meantime for some reason I like the Gnoblars and thought I would try to do something with them, as I liked reading about them in the Ogre Kingdoms army book.

So looking over the Ravening Hordes list, I didn't have a lot of options:

And worse the plastic Gnoblars don't come with a lot of options. But some of the models got me thinking.

Looking over the lists, I decided I could do a few things. With a third Gnoblar set, I would have a total of 72 figures. Enough for 7 10-Gnoblar units and 2 figures for bosses. But I didn't have many weapon options except for what came on the models. I then stumbled on a couple of auctions that changed everything.

First was a semi complete unit of 10 Goblin Wolf Riders, who I could use as Hobgolin Wolf Riders. I didn't get all the parts to make Goblins, but I didn't need them. All I needed was the legs, wolves, and shields.

But then! I found this lot of Goblin junk!

I couldn't make out all that was included but I was just hoping for enough parts for 10 bows. Turns out I have many, many more and lots of other goodies.

Some of this stuff I don't recognize either. But the point is I have some parts to make standards, musicians, extra weapons, and so on.

So the plan is this... I am going to kitbash a couple of Hobgoblin heros.

Then I am going to break up the Gnoblar models by weapons to make the following units:

1 unit of 10 Gnoblars with weapon and shield (I have enough of these guys in the Gnoblar set but will customize)
1 unit of 10 Gnoblars on Wolves with weapon and shields - Might add bows. Probably should add bows.
1 unit of 10 Gnoblars with bows (using parts above)
1 unit of 10 Gnoblars as Sneaky Gitz (using the guys with two hand weapons and some other customizing)
and then 3 units of Gnoblars with whatever is left. Basically just a hand weapon and that's probably it. Fills out the 72 models I have.

Of course, all with champs, standards, and musicians. As a matter of fact, if I can't make enough standards, I am going to use the guys who are pigging backing as standards, like they didn't have enough to make one so they did that instead.

Its a shame the lists don't offer spears... cause I got a ton of the goblin ones in that auction.

I also picked up a set of these:

to spice things up.

I will juice up a couple of positions with those random Gnoblars, or use those to make a crew for the Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower that just arrived. Not sure I want to use the Hobgoblin crew since they dont really match the Gnoblars.

To make the wolfriders, I am literally going to be cutting the Gnoblars in half and attaching the torsos to the Goblin legs, and then it will be a lot of work cutting off various arms to attach the bow arms, and then sanding everything down to look as natural as I can get it. The Gnoblars are really skinny and parts aren't a perfect match, but they are such pathetic little creatures I am not sure its going to make a big deal.

So no wizard or shaman. No elite units or tough units at that. Totally expect these guys to get steamrolled, but that is okay. I am totally into this for the theme and for the fun. And of course I can use many of these down the line with the Ogres and Chaos Dwarves. I really do not like the old Hobgoblin figures, and the Gnoblars seem to be the new versions of them, so thought this would be cool.

Also, I am excited that I have some Goblin torsos in the wolfriders set so I can add a couple of goblins to my Mordheim Orc gang. So everything worked out beautifully.

What do you guys think? Insane?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:57:37 AM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2019, 11:19:37 AM »
You know, now that I have re-read all this, I am like wtf. Totally have enough to work on that I shouldn’t be spending money and time on these little fools. Oh well.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2019, 03:00:41 PM »
You know, now that I have re-read all this, I am like wtf. Totally have enough to work on that I shouldn’t be spending money and time on these little fools. Oh well.
I have multiple projects moving along started, too. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2019, 08:27:15 PM »
I believe there are 6 mounted crossbow men somewhere in the project list. (We have not forgotten)

@KTG17 : just having them is great. When you get overloaded on one project you can relax with another.

Edit: forgot to mention. Gnoblar army is a great idea. Would love to see that come to fruition
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:24:15 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2019, 02:46:25 AM »
Thanks...

Well, it turns out that hoards o bits seller seemed to forget the whole reason I made an order from him in the first place: the Gnoblars! I have no idea if I will ever get them. What a shame. I really wanted a few figs in different poses.

:icon_cry:

Dammit!!! It’s cause I told you all about my plans too soon! Should have kept it secret and instead I jinxed it.

Fire Truck!!!! - Warlord mod
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:59:35 AM by Warlord »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2019, 12:30:31 PM »
Keep hunting and you'll find them.  Gnoblars are small wee folk, and good at hiding! :icon_mrgreen:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »
I am sure I have some mounted crossbow figures somewhere in the deep dark recesses of a cupboard ... ... ...

Maybe I should find them and model them, and paint them up.

#Crossbow Shaming      :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2019, 05:37:28 AM »
More then I have finished :closed-eyes:
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
It appears I have fallen into the infamous Warhammer Fantasy Trap, which I was forewarned about. I thought I would be strong, not weak. I set a 700 point limit, then 1000, then just ditched the limit. Now I am just making up armies that don’t need to be made. AND NOT GETTING THE PARTS THAT I AM ORDERING. Oh and the seller isn’t even responding. Total mofo.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Dwarf Hammerers. . .

Interestingly enough, when I originally got the box set, it was for the Longbeards. But then I realized that the Longbeards looked like the rest of all of my dwarves (especially my Iron Breakers), and I also think it was mentioned here that GW killed them off in a later edition (correct me if I am wrong), so I started looking at doing the Hammerers. I have to be honest, their look didn't do much for me, especially their helmets, but then I realized that would set them apart from the rest so decided to do them instead. Glad I did I love their look now they are all assembled. They were a pain in the ass to assemble.

So all that is left to finish for my 1000 point army are the Iron Breakers! That is, if I ever get around to doing them.

I haven't looked into it yet... but if the Miners have great weapons, and the Hammerers have great weapons... what's the difference? Ah... WS. Cool.

Oh, and it should be noted that I took the advice and got a set of the plastic Night Goblin Fanatics. The set of three. So I think I am done buying for those guys too.

Oh part 2, I do also have that Dwarf Gyrocopter to build too.  :icon_neutral:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:18:45 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2019, 04:42:36 PM »
I have a question about Army Battle Standards. The rules for them and magic banners refers to the unit, which I am assuming that it might join. What about if it is attacked on its own? Do the rules apply to just the single banner carrier?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2019, 04:58:40 PM »
A BSB on his own is, just like any character on his own, also a unit.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »
Okay thanks! I've been giving Army Standards a thought...

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2019, 07:08:49 PM »
In the 6th edition, he is not as valuable as in the 8th, where he allows re-rolls of all Leadership tests. Also note that, if he takes a magic banner, he cannot take any magic items, and, in the 6th edition, he cannot take any mundane equipment either, except for L/H/FP armour and barding for his steed.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2019, 02:36:06 AM »
You know what, I am going to do it. I am going to make the second hero I have for each army a Army Standard Bearer, where they are allowed (I noticed the option isn't there for Lizardmen in RH). I magically already have much of what I need from earlier purchases and what I have coming in the mail. Just a few armies I will have to do some shopping for.

ALSO! I was looking over my stuff for Mordheim, and the great thing about Mordheim is that I can pull models from my WFB collection to add to my gangs. I want my initial 8-10 gang members to be purely 'Mordheim', but imagine I can borrow the Troll from Skull Pass for my Orc gang, or one of my Rat Ogres from Island of Blood for the Skaven, etc etc. Well, one thing I realized is that I wish I had more Zombies for my Undead gang. The box set only comes with 5.

However, looking over the sprues (from Mordheim and my Vampire Counts Battalion) I noticed I have 8 heads on each of the 5 total Zombie sprues that I have for a total of 40, and more arms than I need. Well, you remember all those loose figs I got awhile back that I got for my Swordsmen and Crossbowmen? Well I have a ton of bodies left from that and others in crappy shape (I only used the best ones for my Empire army and Mordheim Reikland and Marienburg gangs). So with 25 legs and torsos from the Zombie sprues, I am going to use the leftover various Empire bodies to make 15 more Zombies, for a total of 40, so that I will have a total of 10 Zombies for Mordheim, and now 30 for the Vampire Counts! I love when a plan comes together.

Amazing how shit works out sometimes. Really, really trying to find a use for everything as well as save here and there so I can buy a few of the more pricer stuff.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:59:10 PM by KTG17 »

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2019, 07:06:11 AM »
Lizardmen can take a BSB - and he is much better than the normal one. You can upgrade a Slann Mage Lord or Priest to BSB, who can take a magic banner in addition to other magic items, and he can be the General as well.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
Oh wow you are right, the only problem is I am not building big enough armies to field Lords. Strange every army has battle standards for heros but the Lizardmen. I wonder why this is.

So I guess no BSB for my Lizardmen. I am not going to 2000 points!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2019, 01:57:56 PM »
Look at what I just found:

Remember that base I made for the Black Coach? Well, we were debating the size for it and it looks like GW mounted theirs on a pretty wide one. It looks like a custom one based on the height of the sides, compared to the other bases around it. I am guessing its about 75mm wide? This is from the 6th edition army book btw. And btw, I did see a list of base sizes for models and the official base was a chariot base which we all know wouldn't be big enough.

Not that I am going to redo mine, but had I seen this before, I prob would have made mine wider. And lately the size of what I made is bothering me, since it came out a little wider than the official chariot base, so I thought I would just run it down through the saw again which would prob be enough. Guess it doesnt really matter.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:12:07 AM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2019, 03:08:31 AM »
Okay super excited to share this.

So as I am collecting for WFB, I am also collecting for Mordheim. I am trying to make warbands for all those listed in the (2nd edition?) rulebook (including the Dwarves and Orcs). So as I am buying up models for WFB, I am keeping an eye out for what I might be able to use for a warband. For example, all those second hand Empire models I got, some of them are going towards a Reikland Warband.

Well, once I got that haul of Goblin junk and Wolf Riders, I decided to add Goblins to my Orc warband. Its taken me a bit to get the right parts together for the Orcs though, and after getting the Warboss/Battle Standard kit, I am using some of those parts for my warband. I just love the chest piece with the wolf skin. Prob would look cool as a standard bearer, but since I want to make an identical foot/mounted bearer, and I only have one of these torsos, I think it makes for an amazing gang leader.

So anyway, here are the parts I am using for my warband so far. I was going to just use the shields that came in the Orcs regiment box, but that would not only have left me short, but also kinda repetitive, and I really want my warband figs to be different from my army guys, so I picked up some Savage Orc shields which I love.

So at the top is the Big Boss. To the upper left my Big Un, who I am still deciding on what to arm with. He's going to be the psychopath of the group, so I want the model to show that. I will prob give him one of those Orc face plate pieces. Then two boys with swords and shields, and 2 arrer boys. I know these are small groups, but I don't want to make a huge warband and I am still going to include 2-3 goblins (don't know how I will equip them yet - prob spears and shields).

I am planning on adding a Shaman, but not sure which model to use. I don't want to use the one from my WFB Orc army, even if I love the figure. It just doesn't look warband-ish enough for me.

I am some ways from assembling these and painting them. Kinda just getting all the parts I need as I go.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:17:13 AM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »
I should add too that I am basing my warbands off the template of GW's pre-packaged warbands like the Witch Hunters and so on, where there is a leader, a champ or two, then a unit of 3 guys, and another with 2, with some exceptions like the Skaven and Undead. And of course, the 500 point starting limit. Marienburg will be a little bigger as they get to start out at 600.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2019, 12:39:43 AM »
Guys I need help. I got my Night Goblin Fanatics today. Love them. Don't know how I put getting these guys off. I guess it was getting them for $9 that did it for me. Anyway, I got them on the sprue without the instructions, and aren't sure how to assemble them.

You see how some of the models have a second ball coming off their side? Well one of the models has it attached to the model already, and its obviously attached to the greater chain. However the others don't have an obvious spot on the model to place them. Looking at the demo models, one looks like it comes off his belt, but I am not sure. Has anyone put these together, or know what the second ball is for? The model on the actual box doesn't have one, so I am not sure if this is an option, or each model should have two of them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:42:02 AM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2019, 03:07:57 AM »
Maybe the pictures on the box might help?  Oh, and glue. :icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2019, 04:19:32 AM »
Well the pics don’t show what’s going on on the back of the model.