home

Author Topic: Perplexed with the use of my last few points. Advice?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Zegroth

• Members
Perplexed with the use of my last few points. Advice?
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:02:16 PM »
Hi guys, I am currently working to finish up my empire army for this years grand tournament season. After reading through almost all of the war room articles, I feel I have come up with something pretty solid yet not too WAAC as to hurt my composition scores. It is a 2000 pt army, however with everything I currently have in the list I am at 1711. The last few points I cannot decide what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated from you long time empire players. I mainly play a Chaos Marauder army, hehe first time I will be taking imperials to tournaments.  :evil:

The list is as follows.

Elector count, Full plate, Shield, Icon of Magnus.

Counts Advisor. Level 1 mage with 2 dispel scrolls.

Captain Schreber. Pegasus, Full plate armor, shield, lance.

23 Swordsmen with Standard, Musician and Griffin banner.

Detachment 8 Free Company

23 Swordsmen with standard, Musician

Detachment 8 Free company

6 Knights of the white wolf, Inner Circle, Full Command, Warbanner

Great Cannon

Great Cannon

5 Pistoliers

14 Greatswords with standard and champion (Count goes here)

Detachment 7 FC

Helblaster Volley Gun

Now the thing is since I still have 289 points to spare.

Heres what I have been toying around with. I could do 25 Spearmen with standard and a detachment of 8 FC along with 6 handgunners and 5 huntsmen. That might give me too many models clogging up my deployment though.

Also there is the choice of adding just gunners and a BSB

Theres the mage possibility.

I can go nasty and drop in a Stank.

Along with that there must be a myriad of other possibilities also. I just cant figure out what would be best to round out the army.

Dont be afraid to revamp the whole list of needed. The only thing I am adamant about is the greatswords as I feel with the count and the icon, they are an awsome tarpit that might actually win vs some basic troops.

Thanks alot for reading. Lookin for replies!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 07:10:07 PM by Zegroth »
In a time of darkness.... look to a madman to lead the way.....

Offline Joey

• Members
Re: Perplexed with the use of my last few points. Advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:25:42 PM »
I would reccomend a unit of flaggelants.  I am also a big fan of running 6 pistoliers with a rep pistol.  It wouldn't hurt to either up your free company detachments for your swordsmen and even add a second detachment of either handgunners or archers to allow you to take a rank off of a unit before it arrives. Heck you could even add a unit or two of nilla knights. There are tons of great options in the empire, feel free to experiment to see what you like, although remember if you plan on using your freecompany to counter charge it will take very few causualties to get them under US5.

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »
another mage can be useful, or upgrade your current one to a level 2 and add another regiment and possibly a detachmen

Offline Zegroth

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:43:25 PM »
if I do 16 spearmen with a banner and 8 FC detachment for that extra little guard unit, it does give me 129 points to play with for Flaggies or a wizard. Either might work, they have distinct advantages.

Hmm....

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:47:48 AM »
If you were to up the wizard to L2, take the rod of power so you can have a potential offensive magic phase.

A BSB could be a good thing....

The Stank is effective with this army comp.... Using both the swords units with the Richtmark Battalion will do the job very well.

I personally would mix the detachments a little bit, (I use 1 FC, 1 Halberds)

If you have some points, mount your EC and give him a holy relic to draw a lot of fire away from your parents.... I have done it to great effect....

The Greatswords detachment isn't necessary, as they can hold fast by themselves...

With a mounted EC, you could drop 1 Greatsword also.... or drop 2, deploy in 2 ranks or 6 - 7 with EC....

just a few thoughts....
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Elieress

• Members
  • Slaanesh.. Just a painting project... I promise...
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 08:41:59 AM »
Your unit of knights is a rather fine hammer unit..
I do however feel that a single unit of knights is too easily countered. (guess where your opponents swarm is going).  I would as always recommend including a unit of 5 knights with onlu a musician... Working in tandem with your other knights, these guys can help you get the charges you want and will more often than not be worth their weight in gold when it comes to manouverability or expendability.

Oh well... I guess I might as well edit my signature to always say "Include 5 knights with a musician... You wont regret it"
Elieress... Just an old RPG name that got stuck to most of my online profiles...

CPH denmark

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:21:04 PM »
Let's see:

- If you're looking to get the EC into combat, I'd recommend a Holy Relic for his kit, or at least a White Cloak, as he is otherwise very easy to kill. This gives him enough protection to make the use of a Great Weapon a responsible choice, to allow him to dish it out a bit too.

- Detachments of 8 FC are risky if you have no screening troops; I'd consider upping them to 10.

- I'm not sure what you're up to with those 23-strong Swordsmen units. 24 would give you a filled-out 4x6 formation; 25 would make for a solid 5x5.

- 14 Greatswords with the EC makes a unit of 15 (5x3); consider adding three more to make it 18 (6x3), giving them more fighting frontage for their Great Weapons. You'll want a Musician in them as well - there's nothing as frustrating as losing a combat by 1 point when you draw on CR, and Murphy will make you fail that Stubborn Ld9 :oops:

- A Battle Standard Bearer is almost a given with Greatswords, as it makes them twice as likely to stand their ground. He doesn't need to be in the unit, you can keep him mobile behind the lines so he can even rush to the other flank if your units there need the support more. A BSB with the Armour of Meteoric Iron and Sword of Might will set you back some 125 points for a well-rounded character.

I think you'll spend around 200 points on those upgrades, which leaves about 80 to play with. You could purchase a Mortar but that might be a bit too much if you already have two cannons and a helblaster, and besides, mortars don't work all that well unless they are in pairs. Another option would be a unit of 10 or so Handgunners or Crossbowmen to sit in the rear, or if you're feeling a bit more unconventional, a small unit (around 16 for a 4x4 formation) of Free Company or Halberdiers to act as a reserve and artillery guard.

But now for the tricky bit.

I don't know which GTs you want to attend, but if it's the UK ones, you'll be in for a very tough ride with only one caddie for magic defense. You will definitely want another caddie in that case, and that means making some choices in your character suite. You should either forego the BSB or drop the Pegasus Captain, and neither is a pretty option. You'll hate yourself if you don't have the BSB re-roll with your Greatswords and Murphy decides to take a look at your dice; but on the other hand, you'll sorely miss the supreme versatility and positive tactical attitude of the Pegasus Captain. There are three options:

- Drop/don't take the BSB. Risk a fatal collapse of your battle line.

- Don't take the Pegasus Captain. Curtail your freedom of operations on the flanks and enemy rear.

- Don't bother with the second caddie. Risk getting torn to pieces by enemy magic.

I've had to make this decision in my GT army as well, and opted to drop the Pegasus Captain in favour of a stronger battle line and solid magic defense. This is a choice that may or may not work for you - in fact, it may or may not work for me (we'll find out next week!). I'd give my left arm for another character slot, but them's the rules :-D

I suggest you try each combo before you pick one to take to the GT. I think it really comes down to personal preference and playing style, although I would put the second caddie quite high on the priority list, making it essentially a choice between the Pegasus Captain and the BSB.

As a more radical option, you could also go for a Richtmark Battalion by dropping one of your Swordsmen units and getting a Tank in there. It may be too expensive to combine a Steam Tank with Greatswords though, but you'll have to do the math on that if you want to consider it.

As an aside: Aren't GTs 2250 points these days?

And finally: This pretty much comes down to army list rating so I'll move it to the Parade Ground for you :wink:
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Zegroth

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 09:39:41 PM »
Thanks General.

Canadian GT's are 2000 pts using a variety of scenario's. The advantage is that composition is still done by your opponent and most people here will NEVER have over 6 levels of magic. Unless its a HE magic heavy list or Vamps. In that case I think with the one caddy I will have to try and tough it out untill I can kill oen of the mages with the captasus or pistoliers.

Ill play around with what you recommended and post again with the results.

Thanks