home

Author Topic: Astolat 352nd armoured - painting a new army  (Read 21229 times)

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Re: Astolat 352nd armoured - painting a new army
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »
Thanks guys.

The astropath is from this guy in Czech. It was cast of a funny material but details were okay. He needs a little more work on helmet and skin I think. The light was bad when I painted him. Going to buy a new superdupper light tonight for painting station.

https://www.trolls.cz/products/void-navigator

Lost again last night, much closer, in a maelstrom game. I need some anti flyer options. Report, with pics, later.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »
Hydra is an iffy AA solution... I dunno, more flyers of your own? Like a Vendetta, or 3. Maybe some FW flyers. They're really good.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
It's how to get them in. The overall formation makes you take three as an aux unit. Which is two much really and to many points at 510. The hydra is in the artillery aux unit. I can have it with a manticore and a basilisk with CCS in chimera. They can get the ignores cover, re rolls and other benefits. It changes the army style though. I'd also need an infantry platoon to get some grunts in for holding ground.

I'm going to play with a list tonight.

So why you complaining!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
Best of luck then. You also have an option to take a Manticore with AA missiles from one of the Imperial Army books from FW. Might be worth a look.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 01:49:47 PM »
A bit of threadomancy.

I have been continuing with this army over the months and have added various units to it as its needs have evolve while playing 8th. It was painted for the end of 7th and 'formations' which have now gone. This, and the improvements of 8th, have meant i've needed to tweak the army to suit. To this end i've added a couple of sentinels with magnetised weapon options, 3 taurox's, a squad of bullgryns, priests, more psykers, changed the captians to have plasma pistols. It's also made me focus on finishing my Kasrkin stormtroopers off, as I have enough for a battalion force ad they are great models.

While pics of all these additions and more will be forthcoming, may I preset to you a battle report for the other night. It was against my usual opponent, using Chaos marine. For a change recently we have been playing the narrative scenarios from the rule book. We played the cities of death one a couple of weeks ago and tried the Blitz mission, from the stronghold assault section, on Monday. They have both been fun and competitive and a nice change from the standard eternal and maelstrom missions
In the blitz mission you have an attacker and defender, I defended. The defender is in a prepared position with two lines and the attacker has to advance across a, basically, open table. However the attacker gets sustained assault, so his units come back, and a preliminary barrage of the defenders position. No flyers or deep striking. Victory points for defender for each unit destroyed and attacker, one point for a unit in front line and 2 points in back line of my deployment area at end of game

My list: 15 CP's, grand strategist WL trait
Brigade detachment: Steel legion doctrine
2 captain - one with Laurels of command
primaris psyker
6 infantry squads with plasma guns
2 sentinels with Auto cannon
Hellhound
heavy weapons squad with missile launchers
LR exicutioner
2 LR battle tanks
Astropath
3 Bullgryns
Priest
2 command squads with 3 melta and medic
Taurox
Chimera
Battalion: Militarum Tempestus doctrine
Tempestor prime with rod of command
Primaris psyker
10 scions
5 scions with plasma
5 scions with melta

Chaos list:5 CP's
Sorceror
Lord
Exultant champion
Apostle (WL)
5 terminators in Land raider
2 maulerfiends
8 Beserkers in RHino
5 marines in rhino
5 marines in rhino
Predator with 4 LC

Battle field and set up

my deployment zone.

Preliminary barrage (hits units on a six, D6 mortal wounds) all hit the middle of my line causing 6 casualties on an infantry squad, 4 wounds on executioner and 1 wound (luckily as he went to ground) on a captain with laurels leading the first line)

Chaos deployment, no surprises here

Turn 1 - attacker goes first

Chaos launch a full advance, except the predator, which covers the attack. I loose the executioner to massed las cannon fire (i should of used the +1 save strategy) and damage some of the other tanks.

I knock out the leading maulerfiend and a rhino. I DS the melta scions into destroy the predator, but the fail.
Turn 2:

Chaos forces reach the imperial line and start to put pressure on it. Recycled rhino charges the melta scions, ending their involvement in the battle

Turn 3:
The berserkers, champion and apostle charge my lines. With the Apostles WL trait giving extra attacks on 5+ and the re roll to hit from zealot, and the champions re roll of wound buff, they make short work of the guard squad in their way and breach the left side of the defences.

On the right the maulerfiend over runs the right hand barricade. Counter fire from the guard destroys the maulerfiend and a counter charge from the bullgyns, hiding in the taurox, destroys their rhino and kills the apostle lurking at the back of the beserkers, who got reduced down to 3 from fire.
Turn 4:
The chaos forces keep coming, the bullgryns get counter charged by champion and remaining beserkers and loose two models.
. The centre of my line is cleared out of defenders, but the right side resists.
Turns 5,6, and 7
Yes the game went the full length it could , meaning we didn't finish till nearly 1am!

The remaining scions deepstruck down to form a new defensive line to hold back the chaos reinforcements. The land raider went down to the 2 command squads melta guns, but the sorcerer stubbornly refused to die and cut his way through a psyker, while fighting a captain and a entire guard squad. The rhinos kept coming and advancing to get into zone two. In the end the defenders were down to the last of their man power with chaos forces in the lines. But we had scored 12VP from kills and the chaos forces only had 10VP's to it was an Imperial victory and this sector of the line held! Huzzah!Sorry not many pics at the end as we were just trying to get finished.

A good fun mission, i'd recommend it to play.

Over and out

So why you complaining!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »
This sounds like a riot. Holding a line against crazy attackers is the type of fight I like. Will definitely look for this scenario when I get into 40k again.
Nice report.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:00:38 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »
Great photos. Table looks amazing

1am though!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
This sounds like a riot. Holding a line against crazy attackers is the type of fight I like. Will definitely look for this sceneries when I get into 40k again.
Nice report.

I'll second that. Looked like a great game and a very climactic one at that. :smile2:

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
Was that using 8th edition?  Looks grand! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »
Yes 8th, it’s great.

1am was to late on a Monday. A bit caused by me still having to look up some rules for the guard  and also because the chaos army didn’t get smaller as unit keep coming back. We are playing it again the other way around, same terrain, next time.

So why you complaining!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »
I've actually noticed most of my 8th games seem to be a bit quicker then the 7th games use to be. Of course that's different when one army keeps coming back again.

Sweet pictures! The Guard never breaks!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2017, 11:18:32 PM »
Codex updated, old school style, with Chapter approved points changes. Mostly up for units and down for weapons

Need to rewrite my army lists. I use a lot of those units and equipment. Not sure if that says something about me.

So why you complaining!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
So is that the 'new' codex that has just come out - it needs changing already??

I had an email yesterday about the new 'Chapter Approved' which I assumed was just another new  book?
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2017, 04:14:39 PM »
Hmm interesting. I had thought it was more like the compendiums that got put out for fantasy years ago. A collection of all the stuff that had been in white dwarves.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2017, 05:52:42 PM »
So is that the 'new' codex that has just come out - it needs changing already??

The thing is - the old codices needed changing too, badly in some cases, but it simply didn't happen. If a unit was shit or too good, you were stuck with it for the amount of years it took for GW to make a new codex. The fact that they are willing to do balance updates is a very, very positive thing to my mind.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
Point appreciated - I wasn't really criticising - more asking what this Chapter Approved was?
Some sort of FAQ / Update?

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
I'm curious, too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »
Okay I had a quick look into it. Only a small portion of it is a FAQ that updates some of the weapon values. The rest of it is more like an expansion. More scenarios, more special rules you can have in a game. Ways to link games to make a narrative. A couple of rules for special battlefields or new stratagems. Stuff like that. To quote the product descriptions;

An enormous toolkit of rules, updates and ways to play, Chapter Approved is an essential purchase for any Warhammer 40,000 player. Expanding upon the rules found in the Warhammer 40,000 book, this 128-page softback book contains narrative-driven battles and scenarios depicting brutal sieges, exciting new ways to play, mechanics for designing your own vehicles and a host of new rules to take to the battlefield.

The Rules

Split into 3 sections – Open Play, Narrative Play and Matched Play – with explanations and expansions of the rules for each.

Open Play

Games of Warhammer 40,000 with few restrictions, where players are free to invent their own stories and frameworks with unlimited force sizes – this is Open Play. Chapter Approved provides the following guides to making your Open Play games as open and fun as possible:

- Apocalypse: huge, dramatic tabletop conflicts in which hundreds of infantry and squadrons of vehicles are locked in desperate conflict, games of Apocalypse are Warhammer 40,000 turned up to 11. Combine armies into immense forces, unleash terrifying super-heavy war engines – Apocalypse is your gateway to truly epic battles.Chapter Approved features a comprehensive guide to running games of Apocalypse, from 3 missions, ideas for multi-table battles and recommendations for an officiated game featuring an Umpire with special influence over the battle.
 - Land Raider variants: this is a set of guidelines on designing your own datasheets for Land Raider conversions, meaning totally new variants for your games made completely by you! There are 5 example datasheets covering Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Chaos Space Marines tanks, and a blank datasheet for you to create your own, whatever Chapter you choose.

Narrative Play

Narrative Play games are characterised by pre-generated storylines that often take in entire worlds embroiled in war, from the initial invasions to the bloody battles that follow. Chapter Approved provides rules and missions that the players can chain together, following a conflict from the initial spark to its brutal denouement:

- Planetstrike: rules for playing games of devastating planetary assaults, with one player taking the role of attacker and the other defending, each using the new Warlord Traits, Stratagems and detachments designed for this play style. Included are 6 Planetstrike missions, along with 6 examples of common battlefield deployments;
 - Stronghold Assault: rules for games in which players fight over fortified war zones, again deciding between them the roles of attacker and defender. This includes unique Abilities, Warlord Traits, Detachments and Stratagems, as well as 6 Stronghold Assault missions;
 - Rules are included for linking games together in linear, narrative-led campaigns, with losses and victories deciding advantages in subsequent games;
 - Datasheets for the following 11 fortifications: Aegis Defence Line, Imperial Bastion, Imperial Defence Line, Imperial Bunker, Vengeance Weapon Battery, Plasma Obliterator, Firestorm Redoubt, Macro-cannon Aquila Strongpoint, Vortex Missile Aquila Strongpoint, Void Shield Generator, Skyshield Landing Pad.

Matched Play

For many players, the thrill of Warhammer 40,000 is in testing their mettle against equally-powerful opponents in games where the fight is not decided by who has the biggest gun. When battle-forged armies go to war, victory will go to the commander who has fortune, strategy and cunning on their side. Included in this book:

- 6 Eternal War missions, providing challenges such as hidden mission goals and reserve forces storming in, turn after turn, creating havoc on a catastrophic scale;
- 6 Maelstrom of War missions, offering new permutations of the game and introducing fresh challenges – secret orders, strategic gambles and split-second opportunity feature here;
 - 4 new Matched Play mission rules, including rules for targeting characters, using understrength units, clarification on the use of the Command Re-roll Stratagem who which unit types can claim objectives;
- Faction rules: additional rules including Stratagems, abilities, Warlord Traits and psychic powers for Adepta Sororitas, Deathwatch, Drukhari, Genestealer Cults, Harlequins, Imperial Knights, Necrons, Orks, Space Wolves, T’au Empire, and Thousand Sons;
- A guide to creating your own objective markers, themed to your own army, with examples for Imperial, Chaos, Necrons, Tyranids, Drukhari, T’au Empire, and Orks.

Appendix

The Appendix features a collection of supplementary content which can be used in any games of Warhammer 40,000. Included:

- Rules for a range of terrain, including Deathworld Forests (Eldritch Ruins, Grapple Weed, Shardwrack Spine, and Barbed Venomgorse) and Sector Mechanicus (Haemotrope Reactor, Thermic Plasma Regulators, and Thermic Plasma Conduits);
- Battlezone: Industrial Worlds – use Sector Mechanicus scenery to add height advantages and tap into plasma feeds to increase your weapons’ potential;
- Battlezone: Empyric Storms – rules for fighting amidst a violent warp tide, with 36 events that can affect your armies, surroundings and psychic powers;
 - A guide to setting up and running Ladder campaigns;
 - An explanation of Battle-forged armies, creating Detachments and Army Rosters;
 - Updated points values for a variety of units and wargear for both Citadel and Forge World miniatures, based on feedback from the gaming community.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2017, 10:31:47 PM »
Thanks for explaining it.

So all we really need is this bit:

- Updated points values for a variety of units and wargear for both Citadel and Forge World miniatures, based on feedback from the gaming community.

Please tell me that is available separately online or as a pdf - having to buy a whole book just for that would be 'old style' GW tactics.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
LEAked pics of points changes. It’s where I got my points changes from

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/chapter-approved-leaked-point-changes.html?m=1

So why you complaining!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Anyone know what a Sororitas Repressor is?

The 'Search' on both GW and Forge World turns up zilch?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
AFAIK it's a Sororitas only Rhino variant that's OOP right now.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
AFAIK it's a Sororitas only Rhino variant that's OOP right now.

Thanks - they seem to have the Exorcist currently plus the Immolator and that's it.
Were they allowed a Razorback in the past - whatever that is/was?  :engel:

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »
The immolator was the razorback equivalent for sisters. The repressor was half way between the rhino and immolator

You’re Google fu is weak
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sisters+repressor&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB731GB732&oq=sisters+represso&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.5483j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

The rules are in the FW astartes book

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2017, 11:12:39 PM »
The dominion squad are the real choice unit from sister book. They get a free vanguard move, great when in a transport which allows them to move 12" before turn 1. With five storm bolters they only cost 60 points now, put an imagifer with them and they double shoot on a 4+ each turn. In a immolator, they are a jucy target, but can move 36" if you use the AoF on them.

Seraphim are a really week unit. Migth be worth it for a deep striking unit of 5 with bolt pistols for 55 pts

Id go with a battalion detachment with a cannones, priest, two squads of 10 sisters in rhinos and one of 7 in rhino and a medic. With 2 melta guns
Another detachment with cannones, two imagifers  and two squads of 5 dominion with storm bolters in imolators with heavy bolters for cost. Also a squad of 5 seraphim just with bolt pistols

So why you complaining!