home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 65974 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:07 PM »
Guys, does this guy look stupid or too over the top?

I am using these guys as a template:

I am trying to mimic the crossbowman with the big feathers. I took the part from the command sprue.

I am struggling to decorate this guy up a bit. He is my unit champion. I don't want to do too much as he's running a group that isn't flashy itself, but on the other hand I want him to stand out as the champion he is. I don't have a lot of options though. I do have a smaller feather piece I could use. The two feather piece for the flat hats. I could use that instead... what do you think?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
I think he looks great. The skirt / kilt and armoured legs will make him standout when painted. The head and feathers are fairly standard and interchangeable depending in the unit you are making. Considerng the rest of the crossbowmen there aren’t a lot of feathers, I think its fine.

I like that you had inspiration though from the heraldry book!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »
The skirt and armored feet have him looking different than the one pictured, but I like him anyway! :icon_biggrin:

I've always enjoyed the heraldry book, and it does have plenty for inspiration. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
Excellent! I could take a cross bolt honourably from such soldier 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »
Excellent! I could take a cross bolt honourably from such soldier 😺

LOL!

Okay then I will leave it. I was totally prepared this morning to read 'get rid of it'.

Yeah that book is awesome. I am using it as a reference for my Reikland and Middleheim gangs too. I can't want to show you guys what I am doing with my Reikland mercs.

I am going with Talabheim for my Empire army. Main reason I guess is that I am influenced by GW. Easy for me to get references. While I like Altdorf color scheme more, my Bretonnians are going with the blue/red scheme, and I don't want two armies being the same. I really don't like working with white or red, but its very different than all my other armies.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »
Ok, remember when I said I bought those 10 Skaven Plague Monks? And I picked up that extra body bit? Well, I made my Plague Priest today.

The official GW one:

And mine, made from leftover bits I don't need from my Plague Monk sprues:

I think the GW one is supposed to have some kind of Morning Star or Flail thing, so I know my staff thing doesn't look like it, but based on the bits I had and the shape of the chain, I did the best I could. Hey, its either $26 for the GW one, or $2 for what I just did. He's just going to have to use what he's got and hope for the best.

So here is my Skaven command, debating how they are going to set fire to my 6th starter containing my Empire troops.

Also, when I took the Plague Monk stuff out of my box, I set some models on the floor. One of my dogs, who loves to jump vertically crazy high, jumped up and body slammed my custom Skaven Standard Bearer I recently finished (previous page), breaking the standard from the hand, and sending the custom index finger I made off to who knows where. I did some minor surgery, and also cut down more of the banner to differentiate it from the Stormvermin one more, but I don't have it in me to make it as perfect as I had before. Dammit!

Bad dog!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »
Pets and miniatures can make less than good pals. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2019, 11:46:16 PM »
I'm supposed to be working on my Empire army, right?

Here's my new Goblin Big Boss.

I didn't know this model existed until a few days ago, and I am happy to have him. I didn't like my previous plan. My 1000 point army is a little short on points so I thought I would get a second Big Boss, but hoped I could find one more intimidating than the one that came with the Battle of Skull Pass. Unfortunately, while cleaning off the flash I clipped off a little piece from his head which turned out to be his ear, so I had to scratchbuild another, and in attaching it, put a little too much glue around the area and loss some detail. Ugghh. I may bath him in some thinner and start over, but attaching the ear was a pain in the ass.

So my Goblin heros:

Now I know in posting these pics no one is going to be impressed until they are painted, but that is some time off. I prefer to have an army all assembled and primed before breaking out a brush. And these Goblins are supposed to be 4th in line in the list of things to do. The Skaven above are 6th! I just can't focus.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2019, 12:47:50 AM »
Okay I spent some time trying to sand down the ear some, and put a light coat of ink around it to see what kind of details there were. I think its okay, but I can't help but think every time I look at this mini, I am going to stare right at his ear.

Someone tell me to either sink him in thinner and start over to tell me he is fine.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2019, 01:32:46 AM »
I just dropped him in thinner. He’s too important of a model to have a fucked up ear. Will work on this in a couple of days.

Dammit!

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2019, 02:17:01 PM »
I have this vampire leading my vampire counts army:

Can anyone tell me what that giant spike is coming off his shoulder? I hate it. Thinking about cutting and sanding it down to something much smaller.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »
I imagine it is used when he plays Blood Bowl.  Shoulder down, and full speed ahead!  :icon_wink:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2019, 12:58:46 AM »
lol it does seem far more appropriate for Bloodbowl…

I mean, seriously, the weight of that spike should cause him to fall over. Or at least drag a foot when he walked.

I fixed my Goblin. I guess it might be hard to tell from the photos but its a huge improvement. I just used a small piece and less glue to attach it. Will sand it a bit more to shape it.

Moving on!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2019, 10:44:34 AM »
These guys are looking great!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
Thanks!

So remember my dog breaking my Skaven Standard Bearer? Well, it turns out he also landed on a Skaven foot solder, bending him over but luckily not breaking him, which was easily fixed, but also, he broke one of my Elf Sea Guard, who came broken but I fixed him previously.

The piece from the spear... That was broken already when I opened the box, and I made a new piece by adding a piece of plastic like you see in place now, and sanded it down to take shape. It actually turned out nearly perfect. So for all the things to break, I have to do this all over again. And its time consuming, as there isn't much holding the plastic to the spear, so I have to go slow. Ugghh.

I swear, two steps forward and one step back. I just want to be done with this box set already!

Also, I have some big news I should be able to share next week. Its a special Projekt I am putting together, but I don't want to reveal anything until just about everything is in place. I imagine some of you will think its pretty cool, some stupid, and some will just be confused as to why I would bother. But I am pretty excited so stay tuned.

And no, it has nothing to do with the 6th Starter set, nor 7th and 8th, which I should be working on.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:28:38 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »
One step at a time is a good policy. :icon_cool:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »
I have a question about Bretonnian Knight Lances.

RH says that they form into a wedge like

[]
 [] []
[] [] []

And so on. So for this reason I gave my unit 6 knights. But what if I only had 5? Would I remove the middle Knight in the third row, and leave the last two on the wings? Or line them up behind the second line like:

[]
[] []
[] []

Thanks

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2019, 08:30:25 PM »
That is incorrect. The Lance formation forms up in ranks of three models wide. So, a lance of 6 Knight would be in two ranks of three models, and, as usual, casualties would be taken from the last rank.

Who is RH?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2019, 08:44:13 PM »
The Lance formation used to be like that in some early version of the rules I vaguely recall. I cannot remember which exactly as I have been playing since first edition in 1983. I suspect it was third edition.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2019, 10:08:52 PM »
The Lance formation in wedge form still existed in the 5th edition, but from the 6th edition onwards, the current version was in play.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2019, 10:17:58 PM »
And if you are playing the 5th edition wedge: if you have not enough knights to fill a whole rank, you place the available models on the edges, and leave gaps in the middle (the same when removing casualties).

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2019, 11:15:31 PM »
This is what it says in Ravening Hordes:

I do have a pdf of the 6th edition Bretonnian Army book, but the lance they describe in there is different.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2019, 02:23:15 AM »
While you guys are chewing on the Bretonnian rules, here are my Orc heros.

Like my other armies where I have a mounted hero, I have a version of him on foot.

I know you've seen this guy before. Nothing special. I am on the fence about his facemask. While I like it, I also like seeing the face...

And my Big Boss with another on foot, and a Shaman. I love the Shaman model.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2019, 02:33:19 AM »
No face mask gives a good show of their character for fantasy. :icon_cool:

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2019, 07:02:56 AM »
I do have a pdf of the 6th edition Bretonnian Army book, but the lance they describe in there is different.

Why, yes. When I was talking about editions, I meant the ABs. The 6th edition BRB was a major change compared to the 5th edition BRB, and Ravening Hordes was released [just after the 6th edition BRB] to provide 15 initial "Get You By" Army Lists, which replaced all 5th edition AB, up and until the respective 6th edition Army Books came out.
So, from the 6th edition Bretonnia AB (February 2004), the current system was in place - which is not surprising, as there has not been another Bretonnia AB since.   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:05:26 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »