home

Author Topic: War Alter Points  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Uncle_Andrew

• Members
War Alter Points
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
How many points is the War alter? 150 or 100 points?

I'm at work and I can't get to my book. I have conflicting records written down in my excel file. I know one of the value I have written down is from the 7th edition book

Thanks

Offline Brontes

• Members
Re: War Alter Points
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
War Altar is xxx points.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:47:10 AM by Warlord »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:48:45 AM »
Guys,

As per the terms of use of the site, we should not be sharing point values of units from GWs army books.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:12:31 AM »
Neither the Terms of Use nor the Rules and Regulations say any such thing. = and quite rightly so. Elsewhere there is indeed a lot of unwarranted pre-emptive self-censorship, which, however, is only out of fear of the imaginary copyright monster we ourselves have fabricated.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:55 AM »
Copyrights and Advertising

- This website conforms to Games Workshop's (GW) Intellectual Property (IP) pollicies. Refer to this site for details. Additionally, by using this site you agree to follow and uphold our Terms of Use. In general, if you follow these general guidelines you should be safe:
--> Please do not present complete stat lines from any GW copyrighted source. You may present individual stats in the context of a forum debate or clarification.

Creating a thread to ask for the points cost of a choice in the armybook does not constitute forum debate or clarification.

That said, there is nothing to stop Uncle_Andrew having a look in the Parade Ground and being able to figure out the points cost, where the information is presented in context for discussion.

Furthermore, the new GW site does look like they have moved some links about, and potentially even updated their policy.
I will summon our Imperial Counsellor to review.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 06:15:57 AM »
I find this conversion into Skaven slaves and goblins and such that constantly pops up in posts, silly -- we're doing the same thing as just stating points outright, giving a value, only in a more cumbersome fashion. Now if someone posts the army book in detail, then I could see GW having a problem, but when we mention the points of something in a discussion, if they have a problem and want to sanction a community site, which is conducting free marketing for them, then they're idiots.

Sure, I'd have a problem is someone keeps asking 'how much is this"' new post 'how much is this?' new post 'how much is this?'

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:20:50 AM by Syn Ace »
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:12:27 AM »
Creating a thread to ask for the points cost of a choice in the armybook does not constitute forum debate or clarification.

Depends. The points value was unclear to him; it was clarified. Would this answer have been allright?

The former.

That said, there is nothing to stop Uncle_Andrew having a look in the Parade Ground and being able to figure out the points cost, where the information is presented in context for discussion.

It strikes me that Uncle_Andrew (like many others) is apparently list building or somesuch during work. Tsssk, tsssk.  :engel:

Furthermore, the new GW site does look like they have moved some links about, and potentially even updated their policy.
I will summon our Imperial Counsellor to review.

The latest GW Copyright and Legal Information
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
The latest GW Copyright and Legal Information

Already had it and posted in the Admin board.
But thanks  :-)

Offline Philhelm

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »
Games Workshop is beyond silly in this point.  The vast majority of players, who are already spending a ton of money for plastic toys, are likely to purchase the Army Book as it's just a drop in the bucket at that point.  A small minority of people might be inclined to build the Army Book from online posting.  I also agree that converting to Skaven Slaves is silly as well, since everyone knows that a Skaven Slave costs 10/2x^7*.01+4 points per model.

Offline Ondjage

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
I don't think there is anything about "DO NOT POST POINT VALUES IN ONLINE FORUMS" in their legal information tbh
Another subpar post by Ondjage.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 08:52:04 PM »
... everyone knows that a Skaven Slave costs 10/2x^7*.01+4 points per model.

You missed out the square brackets. Without them, what you have written is nonsense.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Ondjage

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »

You missed out the square brackets. Without them, what you have written is nonsense.

The cost of a slave is, indeed, nonsense
Another subpar post by Ondjage.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 09:11:28 PM »
I love my slaves.

Taken out of context my comment above could be somewhat odd.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »

:icon_razz:
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 11:29:28 PM »
Nothing is stopping anybody from helping Uncle Andrew out and PMing him the proper points value of the War Altar.

-Grutch

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 11:48:40 PM »
GW at least is not stopping anybody from providing such information in a thread either.  Did it warrant a thread? No, as the information could have been found by searching this or other fora.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »
Correct.

It has been common convention in the past for this type of query in the past to be banned from the forum.

Some online forums are very strict on this. Others not so much.

Our approach has always been one of careful caution, but to Grutch's point, there is nothing wrong with helping someone out, and to my point earlier which Fidelis has re-iterated, a search of various threads could yield the result he requires.

What this thread does now do though, is helps us re-evaluate our position on this topic.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
Games Workshop is beyond silly in this point. 

It is not GW that is being silly - it is the Warhammer fan community. This pre-emptive self-censorship is, alas, fairly common, but not warranted by any action GW has taken in the past. As far as I can establish, the (in)famous Cease and Desist letters from the past and other actions all addressed violations of the issues specifically covered by the GW guidelines regarding their Intellectual Property Policy.

You may notice, none of this concerns quoting individual stats, rules, etc. as part of a discussion, list building, etc. (which is covered by "fair use" anyway), but, for instance, there are regular violations on internet fora of these two points (not surprisingly things tackled by the C&D letters):

- Please don’t use images from our website, chunks of text lifted from our publications or any of our artwork.
- Don’t share unreleased material.

If the current thread is problematic, it seems to me more because of sloth and unnecessary posting than because of GW copyright.

Offline BBorN

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »
I have a new found respect for Fidelis. He has successfully rules-lawyer'd the mods. Ha! :::cheers:::
It's not the size of the Herdstone it's how you use it

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 06:37:15 AM »
I have a new found respect for Fidelis. He has successfully rules-lawyer'd the mods. Ha! :::cheers:::

As a matter of fact, according to Perambulator, it sounds like GW's Copyright and Legal info has changed on their new site.

But yes, was good to challenge the idea in first place so we can investigate. :happy:

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
Warlord stole my thunder, but only because I'm a lazy bum who can't keep up with all his commitments. It now looks like GW is refocusing its IP policy to those things that actually have an impact on its bottom line. While that still means no wholesale copying of pages of the book, it does give us some leeway with posting things like points values. That said, don't go crazy! Use some common sense and respect the company that brought the game to us. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask the mods or PM me directly. While I'm not on here all the time, I will respond to an email or PM pretty quickly.  :::cheers:::
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
Also, for the love of MUD: it's ALTAR not ALTER!!!   ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »
Also, for the love of MUD: it's ALTAR not ALTER!!!   ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

Are you trying to alter its spelling?

BTW, it's 'God', not 'Mud'. Then again, maybe you worship the earth goddess, and when she's wet, she must be muddy?

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »

Are you trying to alter its spelling?

BTW, it's 'God', not 'Mud'. Then again, maybe you worship the earth goddess, and when she's wet, she must be muddy?

::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 08:33:23 PM »
Whilst we're here on the spelling thing, I will personally burn the next person who uses the term 'Hoard' when they actually should be using 'Horde'  ::heretic::.

The former is a huge collection of something, the latter a huge mob of people and the correct term for the 8th ed Formation. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!