home

Author Topic: Frostgrave  (Read 133954 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Frostgrave
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »
I resisted all the human figures this week - tempting, but I know I'll have to live past ninety to ever paint them ........................

........... and I am saving my money at the moment and have promised just to focus on 3 things.

Frostgrave - new stuff announced tomorrow

Westfalia - Halflings

White Knight - Reiksgard

It's the wife's birthday the same day as SELWG at Crystal Palace - October 11th, and with some subtle manoeuvring booking a weekend away for our anniversary in September I have managed to "Let her spend time with her friends on her birthday" so I am free to go and 'allowed to' as well.

Yet I might not - can I resist temptation?
Should I leave the credit card at home?
Maybe just take limited amount of cash, so I have to make choices?

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2015, 09:41:51 PM »
:icon_lol:

And as for Twits and Facebum, nope, no go there for me. :icon_cool:
Well you posted this a couple of weeks ago.
Renedra releases Stone Ruins ...

http://northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7714

http://northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7715

Renedra makes quite a bit of scenery sprues that could be used for things like Warhammer, Frostgrave, and various historical games, too.
To be honest, not sure what calling attention to the new Renedra release of Stone Ruins on Northstar's site has to do with "sale dwarfs" or Twits or Facebum, although my brain could be misfiring, too.  So then I got curious and googled "sale dwarfs" ... and the first link at the top was photos of dwarf rabbits ... https://www.google.com/search?q=sale+dwarfs&biw=1366&bih=650&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCJja1Y3QkMgCFYkXHgodoXYDLg

:icon_lol:  Don't think Northstar sells those! :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »
I resisted all the human figures this week - tempting, but I know I'll have to live past ninety to ever paint them ........................

........... and I am saving my money at the moment and have promised just to focus on 3 things.

Frostgrave - new stuff announced tomorrow

Westfalia - Halflings

White Knight - Reiksgard

It's the wife's birthday the same day as SELWG at Crystal Palace - October 11th, and with some subtle manoeuvring booking a weekend away for our anniversary in September I have managed to "Let her spend time with her friends on her birthday" so I am free to go and 'allowed to' as well.

Yet I might not - can I resist temptation?
Should I leave the credit card at home?
Maybe just take limited amount of cash, so I have to make choices?

:engel:
Suspect this can be handled! :::cheers:::

It brings up an interesting topic to my mind, yet it is way off the beaten track of Frostgrave, and only slightly related, so I'll save it for another thread ...

In the meantime, and back on track for Frostgrave ... for those not already in hip deep and sinking, check out this review of the game ...

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2015/08/frostgrave-review.html
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Wiegraf

• Members
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2015, 05:20:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOKkH_jmQZXrbjNllcvfHQ

Love Frostgrave ! The cultists and new campaign book should all be getting out in stores by November. Im just using empire soldiers, bretonnians and reaper
 Minis to represent my models, though id love to grab cultists.
My wife and i are going to put battle reps up on youtube when ive painted enough too. Til thats done, AoS and Mordheim are go.

:ph34r:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »
The lichlord kickstartery thing is up:

http://nstarmagazine.com/FROSTGRAVE_LICH_LORD.htm

I might go for level 3. I want the bard/porter too though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:33:37 AM by rufus sparkfire »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2015, 06:12:28 PM »
I've ordered too.
Going to add some spell cards - will be so useful to have just the ones you can use in the game in a separate handy pile.

I imagine that the soldier sprues and the cultist sprues are compatible - just may be some problems with the heads with hoods, but there are spare heads in the soldiers box already before we use militia or marauder heads.
Effectively you can have 5 new body poses to make soldiers out of.
That's as well as the zombies skeleton options in the cultist box.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2015, 08:02:46 PM »
I only like the bard, mule and crowmaster!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
Going to add some spell cards - will be so useful to have just the ones you can use in the game in a separate handy pile.

What about the varying casting numbers though? Are you going to have to write on them?
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »

What about the varying casting numbers though? Are you going to have to write on them?

I suspect so, haven't seen a full on pic of the spell side of a card - whatever you do it will be tricky because you will have different numbers for the apprentice also.
You may have scrolls too.
I just think it will be better than leafing through 10 A4 sheets - I might even laminate mine and then use a drywipe marker each game.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
I just remember what the spells do! The casting numbers are on my warband sheet.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2015, 12:23:59 PM »
Campaign game 4:

Starting lineup:

To this I added a zombie and an illusionary knight from my pregame spells, for a total of fourteen models (ten is the normal limit - I have an inn with a kennel for an extra soldier and dog).

This time I was playing a three-player game on the 4 by 4 table. My opponents, both enchanters, chose their corners first (adjacent to each other). I chose a corner on the far side of the table, and deployed my huge warband (marksman in the tower above, revealed secret treasure counter nearby).

Professor Lund's goals:

1) avoid all danger
2) obtain treasure
3) kill enemies if necessary

Enchanter A went first, moving out into the open and casting telekinesis to move a treasure token towards himself. Enchanter B used a teleport potion to beam to the top of skull tower, where there were four treasures (the shop guy had set up the table and treasure tokens, so they weren't spaced according to the normal rules). My warband advanced, leaving the professor and her apprentice to hide behind their home tower. They stayed there, casting defensive spells.

Enchanter B's player opened hostilities by shooting at the exposed enchanter A... knocking him out of the game on turn one. While this is a bit harsh, standing in the open in front of several bows isn't very sensible. B continued to shoot at A's warband, since skull tower blocked line of sight to mine. B's wizard used telekinesis to levitate treasure tokens from the tower and drop them down to his troops below.

My tracker and treasure hunter ran to the two nearest treasures and claimed them. The others moved towards skull tower.

While B and A continued to clash, I sent two rangers and a knight into skull tower.

The leading ranger attacked enchanter B, but lost the fight (the ranger wasn't harmed however). The wizard chose to push the ranger away, and then leapt from the battlements onto the external stairway! This cost him some health.

While my rangers took the remaining two treasure tokens, my knight burst out of the tower and attacked the fleeing wizard. Enchanter B was cut down.

After some minor skirmishes, my treasure carriers made it to the board edge and escaped. I had secured five treasures (four normal ones, and a revealed secret), and only a thug and the dog had been knocked out. I gained enough experience for Professor Lund (who spent the whole game hiding) to advance to level 12.

Enchanter A rolled to see what happened to his injured wizard... and got a one. The wizard was dead! The player, rather upset, announced that he was quitting until the lichlord campaign. I felt bad about this, even though I had nothing to do with his wizard dying. But perhaps he'll change his mind and keep going.

B's wizard was also hurt, and I think rolled 'badly wounded' (the wizard misses a game or pays 100).
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2015, 01:09:20 PM »
Noob mistake then rage!

I know bows are op and I've never played!

Strange they ignored you when you had a huge warband.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »

Yes, but we all know how WAAC rufus is.
The game is designed for a 10-man warband, and generally if you bring in a ringer soldier you leave one of your existing guys out, but there are a couple of ways round that and so who finds them and exploits them ...........................  :engel:

If all his out of game spells go off perhaps he'll get to 15 next ....................  :biggriin:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
The inn and the kennel definitely seem very good.

And using your wizard beforehand then hidinghim seems a good strategy if even the lowliest enemy can kill them!

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
Well he has found one strategy - it remains to be seen how valid it is as more people experiment.

Your wizard should be using his spells, but in my three games he got into combat on 3 or 4 occasions and survived.
Hiding him from archers or crossbowmen is a good idea, but you only need to be hiding against a wall to get the +4 heavy cover, and if you can make sure there are 'objects or people in the way' that's +1 each time too.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »
I will post my preliminary Necro build tomorrow, this is a placeholder to remind me to do it.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2015, 10:54:46 PM »

Well, one guy was diagonally opposite to me, which is a long way. Then the huge tower blocked line of sight to me for the other guy. So they fought each other first. As I said, they chose their setup positions first!

I had no intentions of engaging either except to secure treasure! In a campaign, all that matters is surviving and progressing. You don't get anything for killing enemies. Well, the wizard can get EXP for enemies he personally kills, but that's a risky way to play, and not every wizard type is suited to it.
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »
I placed my Liche Lord order Friday evening around 7.00pm.
I added some extras this morning about 11.00am

The difference in my order numbers was 2120 - did they really take 2000+ orders over the weekend.

If they were all Frostgrave and say £30 average that's every target blown away ...............

Edit:
£14K I am reliable informed.

They do an awful lot of business of course as a wholesaler supplying stores.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:29:21 PM by Midaski »

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
Shooting has a 24" range. Lots of the spells are line of sight.
So there's some strategy there.

Each chap you have in a combat gives a +2. So, three men in combat against 1, gives you three +6 attacks.
Especially if one of your men is the wizard or apprentice, the opponent's is neither: then you can activate all 3 before the opponent can.
I hope it's the rules (it's how we played it anyways). Because ganging up is effective and makes the thief and hounds slightly more viable.

The spell that allows you to move someone 10" is probably the best spell I seen in the game.
Just make sure your guys pick up the treasure newr the end of the turn, so they can be wizz-banged out of there at the start of the next turn.

Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline shavixmir

• Members
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2015, 06:32:22 PM »
Are they planning to introduce race specific models and stats?
Or anything other than finding treasure?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2015, 06:34:29 PM »
Each chap you have in a combat gives a +2. So, three men in combat against 1, gives you three +6 attacks.
Each extra man - it's called support and gives you the bonus to your man fighting. If you get three on one then he is in trouble, but I would say that's unusual as the men move in groups normally.

The spell that allows you to move someone 10" is probably the best spell I seen in the game.
Just make sure your guys pick up the treasure near the end of the turn, so they can be wizz-banged out of there at the start of the next turn.

Leap is my second favourite after Telekinesis, but Push is useful too - especially if you line it up right and use it on your own guy to get him away with a treasure.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »
If you get three on one then he is in trouble, but I would say that's unusual as the men move in groups normally.

It happens all the time in games I play!
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2015, 12:42:03 AM »
Got my copy and flipped through the spells.

I was hoping to play Necromancer, but they seem... bad. Really bad! Illusionist looks amazing. Am I reading this right? Are the classes so uneven?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2015, 01:28:15 AM »
I was just going to ask about the wizards as well. I just got my copy as well and was flipping through it. Are you guys picking wizards based on combo's or fluff?

I liked the idea of a trickster illusionist from the get go and I'm actually surprised to see how powerful they look.

Offline shavixmir

• Members
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2015, 05:38:40 AM »
If you get three on one then he is in trouble, but I would say that's unusual as the men move in groups normally.

It happens all the time in games I play!
And if you've got hounds... hold them back a little, get a barbarian into combat, then swing in the hounds to back him up.

Works quite well.