home

Author Topic: Is A Unit's Magic Resistance Useless Against The Doomfire Ring?  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
You get Magic Resistance (MR) for Magic Missles.

You get it for spells the target your unit, like Warp Lighting or Steal Soul or Mistress Of The Marsh.

I don't think you get MR against the Doomfire Ring/The Burning Head spell. The spell is simply cast and the Head goes off in a determined direction, hitting whatever hapless unit it comes across.

The same principle with the Comet, you cast the spell first and it does do damage, but units hit by the Comet cannot use MR against it when it lands and does hits to them.

Am I wrong?  Dead serious - I was about to fall asleep for the night and this entered my head.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:12:23 AM by rufus sparkfire »
I'm in college!

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
Re: ?! Is A Unit's Magic Resistance Useless Against The Doomfire Ring?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:14:13 AM »
Thats a good one... I think you're right though.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:47:16 AM »
I think your right also. I was wondering the same thing for the comet...

The lizard playing cast it right on top of a skaven screaming bell, and we all just stare silent and each of us asks at the same time, "Does it get the +2?"

We decided no
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline charles lapointe

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 02:49:22 AM »
Thats probably not right.  I'd have to reread the spell and the rules for MR(which I will)  Usually any unit effected by the spell gets to use their MR.  comet dosnt EFFECT anyone on the turn its cast.  Burning head does.

Offline Dain of the Border Legion

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:10:41 AM »
The first unit the spell is cast 'against' will be perfectly able to use any MR that it has against the Burning Head, units that then are hit by it do not. For example, where XXX = 1st unit and E = 2nd and subsequent units.

Wizard

XXXXXXX - Eligible for MR

EEEEE - not eligible

EEEEE - not eligible

Its the same as foot of gork/warpath, only the 1st Target is allowed to use any MR dice, once the target and been resolved and the dispel attempt failed, any subsequent unit does NOT get a chance to dispel the spell by any means.

Likewise if you cast a comet direct at a unit then they are able to use MR, the wise choice is to put it 1/2" to the side of them, then they get no MR and neither does any other unit passing over the marker in subsequent turns.

Dain.
Playing Warhammer since 1984 doesn't make you good, it just makes you old, not as old as Midaski however :)

It's the small things in life....

Offline Marshal Lucius von Morr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:38:46 AM »
i agree with dain, the primary target would get mr, the following would not.
This incoherent ramble has been the product of Pete's delusional mind, and in no way represents the views or opinions of the rest of Pete's body.

Roll of  Dis-Honour for the 27th.
2-2-10

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 06:42:55 AM »
I think it is like the casket of souls...you check if any unit has magic resistance and count the highest magic resistance of any unit affected by the spell.

The comet only effects stuff after it is successfully cast so no magic resistance there

Offline Ratarsed

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 06:55:35 AM »
I would play it the same way as Fandir Nightshade. Measure the units affected and apply the highest MR from them. The measuring will only really apply if a unit near the maximum range has MR as the rest of the time it will be clear if a unit with MR is going to be affected or not.

Ratarsed

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:25:18 AM »

The comet only effects stuff after it is successfully cast so no magic resistance there

Incorrect there my friend, any spell cast 'directly' at a unit [in some cases primary target] causes them to check for magic resistance. Irrespective of whether the part of the spell that does anything happens afterwards. Check the section on magic resistance in the main rulebook. Its a subtle change from 6th, but a change nethertheless.

Dain
Playing Warhammer since 1984 doesn't make you good, it just makes you old, not as old as Midaski however :)

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 07:47:16 AM »
So how about Cleansing Fire? ...no magic resistance?

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 10:11:31 AM »
So how about Cleansing Fire? ...no magic resistance?

Remind me of the spell description please.

Dain

Offline jullevi

• Members
Re: Is A Unit's Magic Resistance Useless Against The Doomfire Ring?
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »
Quote from: Page 95, Magic resistance
The number in brackets indicates the maximum number of extra dice that may be rolled when trying to dispel each spell that affects the magically resistant model.

I would say this means that Magic Resistance works against Burning Head and Cleansing fire if any model in the unit is affected by the spell. Magic resistance does not work for Comet of Cassandora, because like Lapointe said, the comet does not affect anyone on the turn it is cast.
Knowledge is power, hide it well.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 10:23:20 AM »
If you cast any spell or spell like effect directly at a unit you get the MR now though as stated in the rulebook, that's irrespective of when the 'effect' actually occurs.

Dain.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »
Cleansing fire...all enemy Units 12" around the caster even in close combat take d6 hits of s 5 ...s 6 if undead or demon.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 12:22:29 PM »
The rules do state that a unit must be targeted by a spell to use its MR.

We don't target a thing with the Burning Head. It just shoots out.  Also, you are targeting the ground with the Comet, not a unit.  Again, no unit targeted, no MR.
I'm in college!

Offline David22

• Members
  • If knowledge is power, what is gunpowder?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 12:40:32 PM »
I agree with that last stated remark Dendo, magic resistance isnt all mighty. It is only usefull if you are targetted by a spell. Wich is 90% of the case of most magic spell. I would indead say it has no usefullness against spells such as burning head , comet or anything that doesnt say "target one unit" !

To me, it doesnt sound ambiguas (not sure i spelled it right)

:mellow:David

Offline Elieress

• Members
  • Slaanesh.. Just a painting project... I promise...
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 12:41:21 PM »
And you dont target a unit with the casket of souls, you just shoot it, but somehow the MR of any unit affected by it is still used to try and dispell the effect.

:engel:
Elieress... Just an old RPG name that got stuck to most of my online profiles...

CPH denmark

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »
Well, I don't own the TK book.  How does the exact wording for the Casket go?  I know it needs LOS...

.................maybe we can't use MR on the Casket at all!  :ph34r:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 01:18:52 PM by Dendo Star »
I'm in college!

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 01:32:13 PM »
Another part to this discussion.

The Warrior Priest's Soulfire Prayer also seems to ignore MR.  It states plainly the prayer targets only the Priest.  The D6 hits seem to be unable to be countered by MR.
I'm in college!

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »
Ok look at it this way, any spell that is cast directly at 1 unit [although it may affect others], allows the unit to use its MR if it has any, and that is ANY spell at all and that's taken from the rulebook. Spells which target the caster, ie howler wind and warrior priest abilities obviously don't allow for MR because the caster is the target, not an enemy unit.

I am sorry, but this isn't rocket science, its really a matter of reading the rules and taking a common ground interpretation, and while the original question is a good one, it isn't that complicated to find the answer I feel. Bear in mind that the books from 6th Ed that have not been re-released will have difficulty with some magical items/attacks due to the subtle changes in the wording of MR in the rulebook and effects that will not be the same in 7th edition army books compared to their 6th edition counterparts.

Dain.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »
So, Burining Head is a "yes" for MR and Soulfire is a "no" for MR?

The Comet is also a "no"?
I'm in college!

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 02:19:43 PM »
MR doesn't work against the Comet, as it targets a spot on the board, and due to timing, you can't tell which units would be affected by the spell.  The Comet is a weird duck, and should never be used as a means to justify other rules arguments. 

That being said, there are a series of questions in Chronicles04 that make it perfectly clear that MR applies vs template spells.   Fandir covered it fairly well above. 

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 02:24:02 PM »
The comet is a no UNLESS the marker is put on a unit rather than next to it, even though the marker has no 'effect' gameplay wise, it is still an effect that triggers MR of the 'target' unit, by targeting the unit you allow them MR. As queek says its a wierd Duck.

Burning Head is a yes for MR but only vs the 1st unit it hits, subsequent units hit get no MR as the spell is deemed to have been successfully cast already. Soulfire is a no as it targets the caster, NOT the enemy.

Sorry Queek, I disagree with you on some points here matey. Chronicles 04 is really 3 years out of date and for a different edition of warhammer, as such its pretty moot if it can be used as a source for the new edition in my mind. The Rulebook is clear on MR and when it can be used in my mind.

Dain

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 06:35:33 PM »
however Orb of Thunder in no way lets you use MR imo (as opposed to a lot of people over on warseer)

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 06:55:18 PM »
Wait, it wouldn't?
I'm in college!