home

Author Topic: Any of you old timers play Tyranid Attack?  (Read 963 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Any of you old timers play Tyranid Attack?
« on: April 27, 2023, 12:24:04 AM »
So this has been on my hit list for a long time and finally snagged an unused copy, and I am pretty excited about it. It predates 40K 2nd edition I think.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1992/cat1992p458-00.htm

I found a copy of the rulebook online too if you want to check it out. It’s cool that it includes rules for some models not included in the game.

https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1456650796042.pdf

Anyway, it’s like Space Hulk but with more variety. I am excited about painting up all the old school minis for it.

An interesting note to the game is that the game centers around scout squads (although this can be changed), and there are a couple of random events that allow for a captured Terminator or a Terminator Librarian to join the teams, and the descriptions deliberately describe them as being from the Scythes of the Emperor chapter, which surprised me as around this time the Big Four were kind of getting established and you might think they would have used the Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves instead. I have never considered ever painting a Scythe of the Emperor marine but this set has given me the excuse to. And I have only found one image of what Scythes of the Emperor Terminators looked like.  :|

Anyways, paid an arm and a leg for it, so can’t say run out and get it, but if you are on the fence I say go for it. It’s a complete old school game in a box.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 12:26:30 AM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Any of you old timers play Tyranid Attack?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 12:40:31 AM »
Hadn't heard of it, yet sounds like it might be fun.

Are you really going to do some painting? :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 01:20:29 AM »
I’ve actually been doing painting! A lot! But for Dropzone Commander lol  :-D

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 08:01:06 AM »
I’ve a box of Space Hulk board pieces which, I now realise, has a number of board pieces from this game. They do fit together; but no figures or rules though. I have also come across some of the figures in the past but no longer have them. The Genestealer hybrids used the same weapons as the plastic 40k Orks of the time. I acquired a part collection of both and started to make an Ork based Genestealer Cult but only got as far as building the figures before selling them on. I don’t remember having any of the Tyranid Warriors but do have some of their swords in the bits box and my pygmies have a head as part of their standard.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »
I’ve actually been doing painting! A lot! But for Dropzone Commander lol  :-D
Well ... same end of the hobby as Tyrands ... sci fi.  So you're off and rolling! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

You guys now have me now eyeing my Space Hulk box set.  The one released in 2009. :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 04:33:05 PM »
I have had the first 3 editions, but parted ways with the 1st and 3rd many moons ago. I have the second edition though. I fits nicely with my 40k 2nd era starter, Necromunda, and Gorkamorka. Its prob why I decided to keep that particular one.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 05:58:13 PM »
I didn't know "Tyranid Attack" existed, let alone 3 editions of it.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 06:52:28 PM »
Only one edition of Tyranid Attack. I meant the editions of Space Hulk.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 07:31:38 PM »
I do believe I have that game somewhere.