home

Author Topic: BoLS 8th ed. rumours  (Read 17789 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
BoLS 8th ed. rumours
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:17:47 AM »
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/02/wfb-rumors-whispers-of-8th-edition.html

I am suprised masterblaster Shadowlord have not feed us these rumours.
Anyway, some interesting things here.
However, I for one think they got some expectations wrong. For example, they say they will switch to presentage instead of the present limit on so much char/special/rares per 1000 points.
If it is just presentage, spamgalore would erupt for sure. Ever encountered the famous Hochland combat engineer sharpshooter "regiment"?

But if they apply precentage on top of the present limitations, it all makes much more sense and should work well enough!

The talk about close combat sounds worrying though. It basically means our core troops will STILL get slaughtered cause there is no way we can outkill anything but a unit of gnoblars on sleeping pills.
But maybe this is just half the story. If, after you have fought a first round, you check for breaks/crumble etc, before you might have to continue for a second round of combat, it might not be soo bad.
And who cares about mister killer vampire. I have such a good mirror to look into that makes sure my moustaches are perfectly twinned!  :icon_mrgreen:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: BoLS 8th ed. rumours
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:30:22 AM »
Weird.

But if they apply precentage on top of the present limitations, it all makes much more sense and should work well enough!

It would be a bit complicated to make an army though.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:36:14 AM »
I highly doubt the percentages thing. Lapping around coming back would be nice. A way to give numerical superiority some kind of edge back. As for the rest: just general concepts and no hints on how they're supposed to work in the game. Until this gets a little more concrete, I'll reserve judgement one way or another.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »
I wouldn't trust BOLS much.  IF it hasn't hit warseer and Harry hasn't said anything about it, I don't buy it.  Unfortunately Brimstone died, he would have had some info too.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Taureus

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
There's already several hundred posts on The Forum That Shall Not Be Named, discussing this rumors page from BoLS.

And the percentage rumor has been confirmed.
Quote from: The Red Scourge;4561884
Funny. Rick Priestley always imagined 1 model to equate around 5 men, but then again, they were just a bunch of hippies, so he was probably too stoned to notice ;)

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
I don't see the point of the whole percentage thing.
Isn't that just going to make counting difficult?
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Taureus

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
Surely you don't mean the players of this game lack counting skills...  :biggriin:

I am sure it will cause headaches at first. But the "power lists" will change a bit, and once those are found, people won't have to do much counting for themselves.
Funny. Rick Priestley always imagined 1 model to equate around 5 men, but then again, they were just a bunch of hippies, so he was probably too stoned to notice ;)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »
No, cause they will copypaste the lists from the web, but who cares, that will always happen. However, it might help to make the powerlists somewhat less powerful compared to "normal lists" and that is all good in my book.

And if you canīt count your precentages, I doubt you can play your warhammer that well anyway. It seems as if GW is using their long term expirience to reshape the game so it will encourage a more leisurely style of gaming and a more warried force with less focus on the most powerful stuff. Some people will still only dream about victory, but others will realize why it is manlier to fight with a proper halberd in your hands and a well fitting codpiece.  :closed-eyes:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:43:38 PM »
By who?

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »
By me!

....what percentage rumour?

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 03:48:04 PM »
Oh hush Salad Wagon.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »
MrDWhitey, I love you.

yes, you too, Salad Wagon.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »
Donīt you use the cursed words!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:25:13 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »
MrDWhitey, I love you.

Thanks, I love me too.

Donīt you use the cursed word!!!

I've obviously missed something here. See PM.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »
Donīt you use the cursed word!!!
Salad Wagon?  That's two words. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 05:12:50 PM »
Oh ... and on to the first post ...

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/02/wfb-rumors-whispers-of-8th-edition.html

I am suprised masterblaster Shadowlord have not feed us these rumours.

Anyway, some interesting things here.
However, I for one think they got some expectations wrong. For example, they say they will switch to presentage instead of the present limit on so much char/special/rares per 1000 points.
If it is just presentage, spamgalore would erupt for sure. Ever encountered the famous Hochland combat engineer sharpshooter "regiment"?

The talk about close combat sounds worrying though. It basically means our core troops will STILL get slaughtered cause there is no way we can outkill anything but a unit of gnoblars on sleeping pills.
But maybe this is just half the story. If, after you have fought a first round, you check for breaks/crumble etc, before you might have to continue for a second round of combat, it might not be soo bad.
And who cares about mister killer vampire. I have such a good mirror to look into that makes sure my moustaches are perfectly twinned!  :icon_mrgreen:
The title of your post says it all ... "BoLS 8th ed. rumors".

Not that we can't talk about them, yet they are still just rumors. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 05:50:32 PM »

I don't see the point of the whole percentage thing.
Isn't that just going to make counting difficult?

I hope you're not serious.

People were predicting the end of the world if 1/2 points came back. The Skaven book brought them back and I haven't seen any real impact on the game. (Nor did it cause problems in all the previous editions...) I don't see how percentages will make the game more difficult.

As far as how it affects comp, we can't really say anything about that until we see how they structure percentages. If the rumor is even true in the first place.

While lapping around worked out to some sort of bonus at times, it could become such a pain in the ass to work out when you got into multiple combats, etc. I was glad it went away, though I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of bouns for having a wider formation than your opponent, similar to the rank bonus. ("Overlapping" in other rule systems... yes, there are other games around.)

I'm not sure I like the single round "speed combat." Sounds like WFB moving towards Warmaster. I left 40k because it became a meat grinder game and began to play too much like Epic. If this did end up happening, I would forsee an even greater emphasis on elites and heavy-hitters because the only point of combat would be to win it in an instant, and overwhelmingly. Gone would be tactics of tarpitting, or holding a line in order to move in flankers, or baiting & distracting powerful troops while you hit your opponent in their weaker spots...

But who knows... these are just rumors.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 12:41:09 AM »
What use are rumors to anyone anyway? Something to get annoyed about on the internet? I can't say I care at all how the rules change next edition.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Taureus

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 01:30:43 AM »
By who?

By Avian. Second only to Harry right now in the 8th Edition rumor thread. And Harry has posted, and has not contradicted Avian's confirmation.

Quote from: Avian;4397100
The #1 is the one I didn't want to tell people about. 25% max on characters is rather harsh on many lists.

AFAIK the #4 is wildly off.

Don't know about the rest.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 01:34:41 AM »
I think there will be no speed round.  Breaking and overruns as well as combat resolution are all listed in the Beastman book.  The beastman book follows the 8th edition rules entirely.

Phil

Offline Taureus

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 01:41:36 AM »
PhillyT, number 4 (hyper-combat) is the one Avian discredited. :lol:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 02:14:41 AM »
Yeah I just saw that.  Good thing too, I don't really like the idea, though anything to speed things up will be welcome.  How about a rule change where units don't move like they are retarded?

Phil

Offline Taureus

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 02:43:50 AM »
Yeah I just saw that.  Good thing too, I don't really like the idea, though anything to speed things up will be welcome.  How about a rule change where units don't move like they are retarded?

Phil

Like Stupidity? Or random movements?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:01:42 AM by Taureus »

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:37 AM »
New edition box set will have skaven and high elves in it....boo hissss. No doubt some of the blue fingered, wedding dress wearing gits that hide on these boards won't be too disapointed with that.
 :icon_evil: I'm looking at you Mathi  :icon_evil:
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 03:01:59 AM »
I'm not sure Skaven are deserving, but High Elves is an excellent choice.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.