home

Author Topic: MiniJunkie's Averland PLOG - Comments Welcome [Steam Tank added April 22]  (Read 16624 times)

Offline MiniJunkie

• Members
Hi everyone, I'm new around here :)

Seems I've got the Empire bug thanks to the new releases, and have started painting some up. I think I've been painting over 20 years, and yet have NEVER painted an Empire unit or really any of the models (I believe one exception was Marius when he was first released - gorgeous model).  We'll see how far I get - I have a relatively hectic life between work and 3 very young children, but I paint as often as possible. I also suffer from "New Shiny" syndrome, and am easily distracted. With any luck I'll get at least a few Empire units/characters done! :)  (so based on that, forgive me if this PLOG doesn't get updated as often as I'd like...)

In any case, after contemplating it for a couple of days I picked Averland and have started to work. Before I go to far, I was hoping to get some feedback on my work in progress first unit:

My camera setup is driving me nuts lately - not sure what is "off" with it, but for example the glare on the guys on the left of side of this photo makes it hard to get a proper impression!

Having said that..based on this photo, I'm wondering a few things:

- What's your overall impression so far (given that they are WIP and there are obvious rough spots, bases aren't done and the banner is blank :)?
- I feel like they need a "spot color" like on some of the small ribbons. You can see I used a light blue on the banner bearer, and a red on the champ. Neither feels quite right...thoughts?
- do you think the yellow needs another (whiter) highlite?
- if you happen to be an Empire painter/player - how do you deal with all the little bits and bobs on these guys? (usually around their belts and waist) i.e. do you paint up all of them for all ranks? Im tempted to half-ass it beyond rank 2 !
- how's the black look?
- Boots....change the color? It's black-brown right now but blends into the base I guess. 

I'm interested in any feedback at all! These guys went pretty quickly - I assembled and primed them yesterday, all of the rest of the work was done this afternoon/evening with breaks. (airbrush speeds things up).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:10:51 AM by MiniJunkie »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: MiniJunkie's Averland PLOG
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:31:40 PM »
They already look awesome and can't wait to see them finished!
As for the Spot colours, actually anything work as long as it stands out, make it a bright colour though!
I'm a nit picker so I paint every bit and bob no matter where the model goes :)
Black looks great!
And the boots / shoes are supposed to be blending in a bit (they get dirty as the first thing from walking) Besides if you add some greenish grass the blending won't be as big as it is now.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
Welcome,

I do like it when the lurkers take the step of showing off their stuff.

Overall, looking damn good already.
Spot colour, often see green used as a trim colour for Averland.  Try different colours, and then decide which you like.  Maybe carry it on to the feathers on some.
Yellow looks fine as it is
I always paint the bits and bobs, but you might save some work by just doing base colour and wash in back ranks
Black is good as it is as well
And as SKSteg said, boots do tend to blend in to the base if they're painted a normal shoe colour, maybe try black or tan on the odd soldier, and some will be barefoot.

Offline MiniJunkie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:07:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! (I was starting to think nobody would speak up). So far with this group (I kept on painting) I have tweaked the shoes a bit and gone with a purple spot color and green scabbards - I'll try to finish them up for a photo asap.

[EDIT TO UPDATE]

Ok here's the first 10 guys mostly done - the banner I will complete later (I'll mask the guy off, should be easy enough) when I figure out how to tackle it. Freehand is a weakness for me, and I want to do them justice. Curse the lack of decal/transfers!

Pretty happy with how these look so far! (I realize this isn't a proper rank/file shot - this is just to show them better).

- Jarrett

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:44:58 PM by MiniJunkie »

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:46:13 AM »
People not replying might be because there is A LOT of posting going on due to the new book and you just can't follow and react to all threads popping up.. (I have a hard time as well to keep up...)

Again good work, and the purple works for the regimental colors!

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:53:42 AM »
very nice keep going!

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:03:29 AM »
For state troops this is the max, nicely painted! I would paint some more the banner/parchment, hanging from the drum, and a practical tip: first paint the banner and then stick it to the mini.

:::cheers:::
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:40:04 PM »
Beautiful!

:::cheers:::

Offline nuttunen

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
Averland über allens!  :::cheers:::   Looking good I have nothing to say xcept well done sirrah well done  :-D
Check out my painting-log C&C is plenty appreciated!

Offline MiniJunkie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:44:02 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far! I actually have a unit of 3 demigryphs that should be done late tonight (I hope). I'm eager to post those :)

Offline Dosiere

• Members
Re: MiniJunkie's Averland PLOG - Comments Welcome
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
Nice!  I also think the purple looks good.  It's just enough to catch your eye, but not to overpower your primary colors.

Offline theforgefather

• Members
  • Hello!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
yes! the purple looks amazing for a spot colour! :icon_mrgreen:

Offline MiniJunkie

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »
Finally got the Demigryphs done!

I spent a fair bit of time on these and hopefully it shows :) This is a really nice kit, the models look awesome and are easy to put together. I found the sculpts so nice I kept going back to do a tweak here or a fix there, which is rare for me these days (usually I'm all about getting the model done quickly and "good enough"!).

The colors are probably not quite right per the Empire's fluff, but I wanted them to match the rest of my Averland force.

Offline Dosiere

• Members
Those look superb!  I think the colors used make the models look better than the GW ones.   I can't quite put my finger on it but the GW ones make them look like chickens...

Offline Azyr

• Members
Very nice and crispy, Averland colours work nicely  :::cheers:::
Games in 2013 = 3
WHFB - 0/0/1
40k - 0/2/0

Offline arselus

• Members
Sharp! Looks great  :::cheers:::

• Members
Those are beautiful!! Nice work on them!

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
Nice army  :::cheers:::

Offline Ivimotorola

• Members
I love Demigryphs with the scheme of Averland. Looks great!!!

Well job!

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
very nice!
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
 :icon_eek: so pretty  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
The owlbears look fantastic! Lovely colour scheme.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline anvalous

• Members
Fantastic paint on those demigryphs!  Some of my favorite paint on them that I've seen yet.  VERY well done!

:-D :-D :-D

Offline MiniJunkie

• Members
Adding a few more shots:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:39:29 PM by MiniJunkie »