home

Author Topic: I have the power  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
I have the power
« on: December 02, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »
I've decided to write a story about the male barbarian in my militia unit. I've had a few ideas but I'm not sure what to do. Is 'Pratchett -esque' an acceptable style or does it need to be dark and grim.
Basically, what I had in mind was a mesh up of 80's barbarian movies [Deathstalker, Ator and that Mattel action figure line of guys in furry shorts]

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: I have the power
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »
You may have the power, but have you got the will? And the skill? And are you prepared to pay the bill, and withstand the thrill? Still, I wish you well. (Please pronounce that last word as 'will'.)

All that being said ... furry shorts? Why have you made me think about furry shorts?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
I write stuff ALL the time [its my job].
I used the phrase 'furry shorts' to refer to He-man toys [which is mostly over muscled men in furry shorts]

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 03:05:45 PM »
Yeah .. I wasn't casting doubt. Just making bad rhymes for no other reason than to .. erm .. make bad rhymes.

On an unrelated note, which is what my last post was, any phrase that sounds like 'I've got the power' always makes me think of The Fisher King, a movie I loved.

I do a fair amount of writing too, d'you know?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »
You can do whatever you want! A fair bit of my backstory is very Pratchett, the man was a genius. I personally like a good mix of realistic, grim dark and light in my army.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 01:09:08 AM »
The big project I'm working on has pratchet style stuff in it. I got the idea to write a 'silly' barbarian story after watching MST3K's 'Cave dwellers' and reading Pratchet's 'Last hero'
On the subject of MST3K, I always try to shoehorn in a reference [even if most people in my country haven't heard of it]

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:55:11 AM »
Ive been reading a bunch about ghengis and kublai khan, and they have the same affect on me.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
magnificent 7
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 10:50:24 AM »
Tonight I set out to make a crossbow unit from spare parts but realised I only had enough parts to make seven men. I recalled an older army book stated that some units could consist of FIVE models but the 'latest' Empire rulebook I looked at for reference states ALL units [bar knights and flagellants] MUST consist of groups of TEN plus.
I know the Empire has had a lot of rulebooks in its time [I own 3] but is it ok to use a group of seven in conjunction with a rule book that says otherwise? or should I just make three more men for it when I get the parts? :icon_question:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: magnificent 7
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »
Make them a detachment. Are they the 7th ed big crossbows, or the militia crossbows?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »
Yes, they could be a detachment.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 11:40:34 PM »
They are the 2007/8 kits. With the 'big' crossbows

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 11:49:54 PM »
 :eusa_wall:
I just remembered I already have a small crossbow unit. I can add them to that

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
Headcanon
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
No, this isn't a post about that Gobot [Treads] who turned into a robot with a Leopard MK1 cannon for a face.

As some of you know, I'm trying to write a Barbarian story, set in the Empire and I need to know what's acceptable and what's not not. At the moment, the story isn't set in any major area and I've thrown in things like forests and decaying towers but nothing which conflicts with the setting.

I tried to write something ten years ago [wow, 2006 was a long time ago] but that isn't recyclable as its full of needless slapstick and just crap I hope to forget.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: Headcanon
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »
Try to stick to one topic/thread please, if it's about the same thing.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:07:34 PM by Victor »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Headcanon
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
Try to stick to one topic/tread please, if it's about the same thing.

Good suggestion:

A lot of members run a sort of ongoing progress thread - which is better than lots of short threads - all your stuff is in one place.

Just looking you seem to have two themes going - Barbarians and Pirates - so maybe you should aim for two threads, one on each topic?
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?