home

Author Topic: 9th Empire of Sonnstahl Blessings and Zelot rule  (Read 1791 times)

Offline grimgorgoroth

• Members
9th Empire of Sonnstahl Blessings and Zelot rule
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
Hi all, I wanted to do a review of the 9th Age Empire book.
This version 0.11.1 will last this month before they do some changes in march with the 0.12 version.

Without further a do lets take a look at the blessings:

Blessings
Characters with this rule have Hatred and grants this bonus to any unit they join. The character may cast three different
type of Bound Spells (Power Level 3) with the keyword Augment. These Bound Spells automatically target the caster's
unit and last one turn.

Volund’s Blessing- Target unit may Reroll failed rolls to wound in close combat.

Sunna’s Blessing- Target unit gains Flaming Attacks. Any enemy unit in base contact with the target
takes D6 Strength 4 Flaming Attacks hits.

Ullor’s Blessing- Target unit gain a Ward Save (5+) against Close Combat attacks.

These are the same as the prayers. But what really caught my eye was the Zealot Rule:

Zealot_
A character with this special rule may join units of Flagellants and gains Unbreakable while it remains in the unit.

That is pretty strong to have a Priest or Prelate (Archlector) in a unit of Flagies, with the blessing and stuff, Not bad!

What do you guys think of this rule?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:04:04 PM by grimgorgoroth »

Offline Porkix

• Members
Re: 9th Empire of Sonnstahl Blessings and Zelot rule
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 03:06:14 AM »
A big difference that a lot of people did not catch as well is the ability to grant hatred to oher characters in the unit. Therefore boosting combat ability of mediocre characters before.

Good synergy with knight commander with Sonnsthal or any fighty characters on foot, marshal with great weapon or beats bane hallberd, BSB with slighlty offensive weapon...

Flagellants looks like a very good option now.

Porkix

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:53:41 AM »
A Knight Commander with Sonnsthal and Holy Icon in a unit containing a Prelate or Preacher, and near a Arcane Engine (forseeing) for Lightning Reflexes is downright nasty.  :icon_twisted:

4 WS6 attacks with +1 to hit and rerolling to hit, wounding automatically, ignoring armour and forcing the opponent to reroll succesful wardsaves.

@Porkix - And they (flaggies) will get buffed in the update as well. :)
They're better than we're used to since 7th and 8th, but they are still frenzied on Ld6 (so need a babysitter) and can't provide hatred to themselves anymore (which is countered by the fact that Prelates and Preachers can join them now.)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 10:03:48 AM »
Stuff we have been asking for, for ages. Zealot rule should have always been an option or upgrade.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.