home

Author Topic: My return to painting Empire: Test Talabheim Halberdier  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
My return to painting Empire: Test Talabheim Halberdier
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:17:27 AM »
Hey all,

Well after about a 6 year hiatus from painting any Empire figures, and after getting some experience under my belt (1 Empire, 2 Dwarf, 1 Chaos Nurgle, Wood Elf, 1 Blood Angels, 1 Warmaster Empire, and multiple Flames of War armies painted), I have decided to finally start up my newest Empire army, settling on the classic white and red color scheme of Talabheim.  Well here is my first figure, a Halberdier.  The figure itself is made from the 6th edition plastic soldiers, however the arms have been converted, which they are the arms for a swordsman.  The head is from a plastic cannon crew member.  Here are the pics:

I painted the figure from a white undercoat, with a base coat of all the basic colors first applied, and then the whole figure was given a coat of Tamiya Smoke (almost like the dip technique in looks), and then I highlighted from there.  The paints I used are from Vallejo's Game Color line, which share the same colors as the GW paints, but with the Vallejo formula and pimpin' eye dropper bottles.

As always, comments and tips are always appreciated.
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
Re: My return to painting Empire: Test Talabheim Halberdier
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:23:07 AM »
Hey thats pretty sweet! I cant really find fault in it. it is a very good standard.

post more pictures! :happy:
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 04:41:55 AM »
Looks pretty good to me mate. I think the only thing that made me snicker a little (only a little...) were his eyes. lol. Looks like he pooped his pants or something lol :D

All I would recommend as an improvement is that the brown areas, like the haft of the weapon and the leather straps, should be highlighted as well.

sj

Offline Slick

• Members
  • Mercenary General
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 05:50:44 AM »
Very nice halberdier!

Hmm his expression could be: "Omg, I took S4 anyday and I just whiffed against an enemy!"  :closed-eyes:
www.dogsofwaronline.com
For Gold & Glory!
32-0-1 Tomb Kings
33-1-6 Dogs of War
1-1-0   Dark Elves

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
Personally, I'd give the browns a wash to make them less uniform, but there's really nothing wrong with it at all....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Van Der Steegh

• Members
  • For Averland! For Sigmar!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »
Personally, I'd give the browns a wash to make them less uniform, but there's really nothing wrong with it at all....

I agree, but there seems to be something wrong with the uniform.

Why, if I may ask, is it not black and yellow?   :-D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »
I like the way it's shaded and painted... maybe with the eyes... the pupils just could do with touching the top and bottom of the eye so he doesn't look too surprised... although I've never had a problem with the odd scared out of his head dude... as long as it's not whole units of them  :ph34r:
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 12:04:20 PM »
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day"
Good standard ;)
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »
"Is that an exploded pigeon on the floor?"
Because halberdiers haven't been used ever since pigeon bombs came out :unsure:.

Nice standard, he could use a bit more shading on the flesh and the halberd's shaft, but it's tabletop standard! Don't know if it's the picture or not, but the metal looks very well done :eusa_clap:.
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments all, I appreciate it. 

Soju: The eyes aren't too bad from what I can tell, and on that note for individual soldier figures, Im not gonna go to too much of an effort to make sure that they are perfect, when I will be painting 100 + solidier figures.  As for the brown colors, the halberd haft is an experiment with colors.  I "highlighted" persay in the fact that I applied a lighter color over a darker basecoate, leaving that dark color in some areas of it.  Im still not sure exactly what color I should do them in though, and will be researching what others have done soon.

Van Der Steegh: Heh, good point about the Averland colors actually, as it really is a toss-up for me at this point on what color scheme to go with and that one is one that I've been thinking about.  Either Talabheim, Averland or Nordland, still haven't decided 100% and I think I will paint up a figure in the other 2 schemes to see what I like best.

Von Breden: Im not sure how I can shade the face anymore since I started from a dark basecoat.  For characters and figures that show a bit more skin I will pay more attention to those areas for better shading though.  And with that dang Halberd shaft, Im still working on a color scheme, so once I get that one decided upon, I will work on making it look like wood grain and such.  O and though not evident through the picture, but I plan on having the figures painted to a much higher than table-top standard, since I have left that level of painting years ago, heh. :closed-eyes:

Just a note, this figure was painted a little hastly to get the pictures up here as soon as I could for feedback, hence the lack of some highlighting (such as the hair, that just a single basecoat of that color). 

Thanks again for the comments, more test figures to come!  :smile2:
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline Van Der Steegh

• Members
  • For Averland! For Sigmar!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »
Either Talabheim, Averland or Nordland, still haven't decided 100%

I can make that choice for you  :-D

It's really an easy one..  :wink:
Nec Sorte Nec Fato