home

Author Topic: How to model Snow Bases?  (Read 8740 times)

Offline . Ostermark .

• Members
  • The Ostermark
How to model Snow Bases?
« on: November 14, 2008, 03:49:26 AM »
hey guys, im going for a winter theme for my Ostermark army, i went out and bought a tub of GW modelling snow but when i tried to use it, it just looks like white powder and it doesnt stick to the base it just shakes off. how do i make it look more like snow would adding PVA glue to it work?

Thanks

Markham
Yes this is the man who makes things that go boom in a very pretty way.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: How to model Snow Bases?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:06:50 AM »
That's a good question, I always assumed you needed to glue it down with PVA glue, but I've always shied away from the GW stuff cause I figured once it dries it will still just look like white powder glued to the base and not really look like snow.

If anybody out there has tried the GW snow I'm all ears for tips and suggestions on how to make it work.

-Orcyboy

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:02:37 AM »

I'm about to try this for the first time myself and from the examples and methods I've been reading and photos I've looked at, I'm going to go with Baking Soda. The way I understand it is to mix it with a little PVA and a tiny bit of white paint, then put it on the base, then give it another coating of baking soda on top, which you can then seal with some thinned out PVA again.

I'll post pics when I finally get to it.

Offline . Ostermark .

• Members
  • The Ostermark
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:04:40 AM »
thanks alot zerotwentythree, cant wait to see it :smile2:

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »
I use Woodland Scenics snow flock for my Ogre army... but I use mine to look like drifts/deep snow, not like a light sprinkling.  My method is to take a pop bottle cap (plastic, oh and pop is soda for all you non-Canadians) and nearly fill it with flock, then add pva glue and water until it is the consistancy I like, then just take a small wooden stick of some sort (toothpick would do) and spread it on areas I want to be snowy.  It is very important to paint the areas below this white, or the colours will leach through because of the liquid.  I'll see about posting some pics of it sometime this weekend... though I've said this on more than one occasion and have not done it :blush:
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline WolfyGriess

• Members
  • Grandmaster of the Sanguine Temple
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »
My wife has just based her Chaos hounds using baking powder and white glue, just mixing them together on the base and it creates a cool effect - it isn't drifty, and 'i think at some point that is probably going to be something that she wants to look into. I think she may put the pohotos up here at some point in the near future. Look for a thread by Rover.
I... I... I don't know what to say.  I think I like you very much.

Offline . Ostermark .

• Members
  • The Ostermark
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 12:15:30 AM »
thanks guys, i would love to see your bases if you get a chance to photo graph them.

Ostermark

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 01:53:16 AM »
I use Woodland Scenics snow flock for my Ogre army... but I use mine to look like drifts/deep snow, not like a light sprinkling.  My method is to take a pop bottle cap (plastic, oh and pop is soda for all you non-Canadians) and nearly fill it with flock, then add pva glue and water until it is the consistancy I like, then just take a small wooden stick of some sort (toothpick would do) and spread it on areas I want to be snowy.  It is very important to paint the areas below this white, or the colours will leach through because of the liquid.  I'll see about posting some pics of it sometime this weekend... though I've said this on more than one occasion and have not done it :blush:

Thats how I've done my winter bases in the past, and have had great results.  I didn't paint white underneath though, and didn't notice a difference.  I used the snow very sparringly though, so that might be why.  Wish I still had the figures (winter wood elves) to post pictures of the results, but the figures are long gone now (sold off awhile ago). 
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline . Ostermark .

• Members
  • The Ostermark
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:52:32 AM »

Thats how I've done my winter bases in the past, and have had great results.  I didn't paint white underneath though, and didn't notice a difference.  I used the snow very sparringly though, so that might be why.  Wish I still had the figures (winter wood elves) to post pictures of the results, but the figures are long gone now (sold off awhile ago). 

pity  :| i would have liked to see them.

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:05:57 AM »
Yeah, not to toot my own horn, but for some reason I was able to paint them to a real high standard, my best yet, and this was like 2 years ago.  The wonderful sculpts helped with that I guess.  I just know that I got so many compliments on them.  I will do some digging around my old computer files and such to see if I can find something I might have saved.
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline Arkadiusz Jachymek

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »
good and cheap way to made snow base i find it on coolmini:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/443
I tested this metod on the dwarf army
some pictures:

sorry for my english

Offline James R

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »
holy crap they're good.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »
And so perfect for christmas season,. :happy:

Offline Bunkka-pop

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »
Could anyone post closeup comparison pics between GW modelling snow base and PVA glue+ baking soda base?
"Argh!  Heretic scum!  I hate you with a fiery passion that only Sigmar himself could understand!  To prove it, I shall smite the bejesus out of this guy over here!"

Offline Sigmar's son

• Members
  • /\/\/\/\/\
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 09:35:55 PM »
This page might help. It shows how to make different snow bases.

http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/lotr/hobby/modelling/snowbases/default.htm

Nice models and bases Arkadiusz Jachymek

Hope it helps,

Siggy son.
  You finally touched me in that special way