home

Author Topic: My various Empire armies  (Read 7058 times)

Offline McSheehy

• Members
My various Empire armies
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
I'm going to use this thread for all my three Empire armies that I'll be working on over... probably many years.
I'll also probably post images of several of my Mordheim warbands here as well (well the human ones at least).

Now for the armies I actually picked my focus not by provinces that interest me (if I had actually done that I would have tried to have one army for every province!).  But instead picked the provinces upon character that I had really liked (as well as some units).
One army will be from Averland composed mostly out of rather old models (many of them metal) from my earlier days of collecting.
One will be from Middenland/Middenheim with a mix of older metal and the 5th/6th plastic models.
The last will... well be in the works for a rather long time as its a massive restart of my Altdorf army that will comprise of mostly the newer line of models being produced.

I want to retake the photos of some of the models that I actually have done.

But to start off for my Averland army once I collected and added up the costs wound up at like 2100 or 2200 something... it was an odd total.
So I decided to round it up to an even 2500pts... but I lacked the models to do that, and instead of searching ebay in hopes and prayers to find more old models to add in I went for the route of using ogres as unit filler to flesh out the numbers.

So here is an attempt at an ogre for the spearmen:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:37:39 PM by McSheehy »
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kirgan

• Members
Re: Various Empire
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
Nice start  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline McSheehy

• Members
Re: Various Empire
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »
This is the only unit I actually consider fully finished right now.

Some others are close... but I want to rework them.
(ex. I want to put Karl Franz on a full monster base and I want to repaint the bases of my White Wolves)
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline McSheehy

• Members
Re: My various Empire armies
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
I've been bouncing through multiple different project since I last did anything for my Empire.
Though over the last week or so I've been working off and on on my several wizards (8 in total... one for each college)
I just finished up 4 of them today

Bright (mounted) & Gold for my Averland army:

Jade and Grey for my Middenland army:

The remaining 4 are in various stages with the Amethyst the closest to being finished.
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »
I like the wizards, they look nice.
Does the fire wizard has an golden sword?
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline McSheehy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
Actually no.  :blush:

The blade was painted white then given a yellow wash followed immediately by a red wash.
When I was finishing up the model I thought it would be good to give the blade a coat of gloss... it looks pretty good in person, but I hadn't counted on the effect a camera's flash might have on the sword.  It did give the blade a golden look to it didn't it.
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Marek

• Members
  • Pig Tickler
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
Great work - I  like the cloth on the Jade wizard alot.

Cheer up, could be worse.

Offline McSheehy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
Several days back I figured what the hell and rounded up many of my old multi-part plastic empire models deciding it was time I finally got up off my ass and actually put them back together as the big unit of halberdiers for my Middenland/heim army.  Actually the greatest thing of 8th edition is not only am I enjoying Fantasy again, but also the Empire as well.  So may projects I shelved are now of interest once more... though I did unfortunately manage to get rid a large of amount of the Empire models I used to own (because I ended up hating the army that much during 7th ed.)

All together and sprayed... get this... Fenris Grey:

The majority of the basic colors done and the models given a full over wash (my own black wash mix):

Next its on the many highlighting details/stages.
Of course at some point I'll need to flock and paint the movement tray, but I need to pick up some more sand first.
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jape

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »
Lovely stuff, my only dislike is the skin tone for your infantry, with all the dark and deep colours, a paler shade of flesh would make them 'pop' a little more in my humble, and quite inexperienced opinion.
Of the Margraves of Graumark - The Rise & Fall of Karl von Steinburg

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »
8 wide?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 03:58:37 PM »
Nice way to paint quick regiments!
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline McSheehy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »
The regiment isn't finished yet.
So far I've painted all the grey portions (mostly on the lower legs and some on the arms as well) with a layer of fortress grey.
Right now I'm working on just one of the 4 man sections going through all the final detail work and seeing just how far I feel I'll need to go with the rest of the unit.

Granted this is farther along in a far shorter space of time then I ever used to achieve.
A friend gave me one of the GW spray guns to use for terrain and other projects I was working on for him and good god was that helpful at times.  When his store closed he let me keep the spray gun.  So I can use that now to help speed along the painting process.  Which I need big time with the Empire (horde army that them are in all... especially with how I prefer to field them).  I'll most likely do similar when ever I get around to rebuilding the Altdorf army and spray them with a base of either Mordian or Regal bule (only doing small portions of their uniforms in red).

I also found while working on my Dwarf army that bringing the models up to a certain point and then giving them that all over black wash is a great shading stage before the final highlighting and detailing stage (the models also don't look to bad and can still provide a painted army for use... I've grown tired of the never ending obviously half-finished armies of mine).
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline McSheehy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »
This will hopefully give an idea as to what the rest of the Middenheim halberdiers will look like once I finish them all up
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
hey, they look nice  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline McSheehy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
Pretty much finished (I had various things delaying the progress)... all I need to figure out now are just what shields I want to use (I'm bouncing between one with the imperial cross or rounding up several knights panther ones):

A shot of the battle standard:
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
Veeeeeery pretty banner.

Offline SlimShady

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
  I like the banners.  But, everythings great so far.   :::cheers:::