home

Author Topic: Tilean blog now with rats and orcs!  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Hirwain

• Members
Tilean blog now with rats and orcs!
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »
Been lurking on this part of the forum for a while and I'm very impressed with a lot of the work here. Mine is nowhere near comparable but I thought creating a blog would encourage me to push myself and hopefully get some useful c&c.

I'm writing the fluff at the moment but the idea is a Stirland lord with a few household troops leading a Tilean Mercenary army. I'm using a lot of pikes which my gaming club are happy to count as halberds.

This is a test piece for my latest pike block using some of Pirazzos lost legion and some of The Assault Groups german pikemen to make up numbers.

It's not been based yet.
What do people think?
Any advice or criticism gratefully recieved.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:37:48 AM by Hirwain »
“Ah, yes, mere infantry — poor beggars” Titus Maccius Plautus (c. 254–184 BCE)

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
Re: Tilean blog
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »
I like a lot the background of your army, I too incorporate tilean mercenaries in my army. I'm very interested to see how those Assault Groups german pikemen will fit next to the pirazzo's lost legion.
What model  is this anyway, it is not lost legion.
The paintjob is decent enough for RNF troops, I wouldn't bother more than that, ( what is that green on his hands btw?)  you have some 50+ more troops to paint, right? Better concentrate on the command group of the unit and the first rank, maybe.
His face is a bit odd, his eyes give the impression that he's happy to charge in the enemy? But they are convincing, so why not leave them like that. Keep up the good work :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:00:27 PM by DariusZero »
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
Looks like a pretty good start to me, also use of Assault Group pikemen is an excellent idea, don't forget to have a look at Foundry figs too the Elizabethan range they have are also perfect for Tileans too. The only thing I would suggest is cleaning up that green on the gloves which looks a bit out of place and tidying up the base. Apart from that keep up the good work :)

Offline Hirwain

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments. The green on the gloves wasn't that visible until I photo'd the model using a macro lens, it's a side effect of highlighting with sunburst yellow, think I'll redo it by using a lighter version of the brown/yellow I used on the gloves to start with.

@Darius, this is one of The Assault Group's german pikemen, I'll post a comparison with the GW legion models when I've painted some. I've learnt my lesson from other units and I'm doing the rear ranks first!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
I normally don't like eyes painted like that, but this guy has a really insane look to him with those "crazy" eyes! I'm digging it.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Hirwain

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
@Delthos, thanks, I was quite pleased with the effect.

I've finally got a few more painted and based! Which for me is quite an achievement, this blog is keeping me motivated, especially when it comes to basing.

All c&c is welcome and appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:57:06 AM by Hirwain »

Offline Hirwain

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »
Hmm not sure why that top picture is so squashed, I'll have to repost it...

hopefully that'll work

Offline Hirwain

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
Apologies for the threadomancy but I've not managed to get much done for a long while. First of all a unit filler for the lost legion pike unit that the previous pictures are part of. The unit is almost finished and just needs a bit more highlighting and the bases. I enjoyed making the unit filler so much that I ended up finishing it before the unit.

I saw these models in my LGS and they made me laugh so I bought them without knowing what I'd do with them. Originally they all held swords so I converted them to carbines and I'll use them as outriders in my mercenary army. They made me smile all through painting them.

Hirwain

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Tilean blog now with rats and orcs!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »
WOw!! very cool mini's dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 01:52:24 PM »
Rat on a chain + orc cavalry = amazing.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
Nice! Those Orc Cav remind me of Flintloque miniatures. Is that the case?

Ah, indeed they are.

http://www.alternative-armies.com/54505_Orc_Heavy_Dragoons.htm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:24:47 PM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Hirwain

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
That's the one. I've never looked at their website before but I can see a lot of future purchases already!