home

Author Topic: New Middenheim Painting Blog  (Read 10597 times)

Offline petey241

• Members
  • Commission Painting Leave me and inbox!
New Middenheim Painting Blog
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:05:08 AM »
Hi, guys my names Peter I ahve been a 40k fan for many years now and recently i've been interested in starting a fantasy army. Since my summer job is reinacting old british/Scottish soldiers the Empire instantly caught my eye :icon_surprised: . last year I was fortunate an managed to pick up a small contingent of painted 6th ed spears and a great cannon, since then i have augmented this force with a few boxes of state troops and a battalion box. As my goal for June I would like to finish painting a 40 man regiment of halberdiers which I have recently assembled. So anyways im going to post some pictures and am looking forward to advice on where i should expand my force and purhaps get some inspiration to keep up a fast pased painting regime  :icon_lol: .

Heres a unit of spears which i picked up in an auction (40$).

Heres the small units of Handgunners I also picked up in the auction

and finally a picture of the Great Cannon (which unfortunately is missing a few pieces)(Crews were painted by me!) and pictures of the mounted Captain

Now heres some the models i have started painting first up is my Marco Colombo i painted a while back (I was 13 it was for a young bloods painting competition)

Heres the start of the Halberdiers which I hope to finish by the end of the month!

Well anyways guys let me know what you think and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all in the days to come! :-D

Cheers,

Pete

Commission Painting leave me an inbox!

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
Re: New Middenheim Painting Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:51:50 AM »
I really like the color scheme on that horse... I might even use parts of it for my inner circle knights... I hope that you won't mind...

And Marco Colombo is awesome... And you've painted him when you were 13 ?  :eusa_clap:
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:57:57 AM »
Hi, i didnt actually paint the horse it was part of the auction. (so feel free to use the paint scheme all you like) Yea I painted Marco when i was 13 i'm glad you like him  :-D .

cheers,

Pete

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 02:45:43 AM »
The red halberd shafts have a very old school feel  :-D I reminds me of Citadel minis in the 80s

Otherwise great start!

The banner is very nice, was it part of the auction as well?

Porkix

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:21:31 AM »
Yea, actually I was going for an old school rustic look  :icon_biggrin: (picked up some teutogen guard the other day) and unfortunately I didn't paint that banner but I am working on a banner of equal quality right now so... (hopefully I can manage the task) Well anyways im glad you guys like the models so far. :icon_smile:

cheers,

Pete

Offline Stolzeuhu

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 07:04:49 AM »
Spearmen banner is awesome! There are no fangs on lions head, but it looks even better without :eusa_clap:
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order -- luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." - Roald Amundsen, possibly about battlegaming

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »
Spearmen banner is awesome! There are no fangs on lions head, but it looks even better without :eusa_clap:
Agree  :engel:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:48:06 AM »
very nice start and your own painted cannon crew looks better then the spearmen and handgunner unit (hope you will redo those!) Though the banner looks good!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »
Marco looks well done! :::cheers:::

Your halberdiers look better than the spearsmen and handgunners you bought.  Recommend touching up the latter.  That cannon looks liek its got an issue with its one wheel.  And the guy on horseback, looks like he's got an arm that needs some painting.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »
Yea, thanks for the comments guys. There have been a few minor issues with some the models most of which I bought for dirt cheap (must say im still happy) the cannons a little wonky and the captains arm I fixed with one for the knightly orders. :icon_confused:

cheers

Pete

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 07:42:19 PM »
Ok, so I have had a few spare hours and i decided to sit down and paint a model so here it is C&C is welcome, let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Pete

Offline Stolzeuhu

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
Wow, the feather is superb! That convinces me to stop doing drybrush on feathers (although it's much faster), it's great, white higlights...  - just  :eusa_clap:

what I don't like is black in recesses of clothes - it make him looking like from comic book, maybe gray or dark blue would be better
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order -- luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." - Roald Amundsen, possibly about battlegaming

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »
thank you for the comment yea the feathers dont actually take very long to paint! I paint over a gray basecoat the recesses are just very dark gray :icon_biggrin:, well anyways ill paint a model with lighter folds and see how it looks!

cheers,

Pete

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 10:56:09 PM »
Hey guys I know I havn't really posted anything to this in a very long time I thought it might be due so with out further ado I bring to you.

Teutogen guard a test fig I liked and thought I might making into a descent looking Warrior priest.

The rest of those Halbs I started oh so long ago I finished a couple of months back

A newer unit I started 2 days ago some goldswords

Here's some terrain that I went over board with during the break My bases on them got warped but that's alright I just bend them back into place!
The first piece here is a little foam board house!

Next we have my first set of ruins I dont know what they are I just thought they looked cool when I made em

Next we have a little card house I made out of matches enjoy

Here's a few ruined walls

Here's a couple hills and forests

Here's a butt ton more ruins

Some more walls

Here's the center piece for it all it too will be in that spring /summer theme with a stone hedge motif!

Anyways guys that's what I've been up to over the Christmas break hope you enjoy the pics and leave comment or c&c as always it's welcome!

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 05:45:40 AM »
Brilliant! The terrain is fantastic
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 05:47:25 AM »
Thank you very much for your praise it really helps keep me painting!

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 06:31:15 AM »
Nice work! I like the terrain. And the red shafts, of course :wink:

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 06:39:41 AM »
Glorious arnt they  :::cheers:::!

Cheers,
Pete

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
Well in the nature of giggles I threw together a random Hobbit archer because the little guys are so fun to paint not my best work but started and finished in under 2 hours so not bad!

Hope you guys enjoy!

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »
welcome dude, great looking army  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »
Thanks Zak well the never ending blue and white is erroding my sanity :icon_twisted:. I am thinking about painting my second halberdier hoard my pistoliers and some artillery pieces in the Hochland theme not only as a break from my current paint scheme but also fluff wise it makes perfect sense. My only question is do you guys think it's a good idea or do you think I should stick to the current paint scheme? Also as a side note I think that an army with distinct features from another state would look quite interesting on the battlefield. Oh and I finished a couple more guys trying to bring my 40 man hoard up to 50 i'll post some pics the first chance I get!

p.s. If I do a Hochland theme I would paint them with a very bright red!

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
Good job, Pete!  Halfling/hobbit looks great!  You should paint up more of them.

As for mixing the paint jobs, I say go for it.  As long as you keep the basing the same, they will fit.  You may try having one common colour or something - say paint all the ribbons on each unit yellow or something like that. If you look at some of the marienburg armies on this site, you will notice that the non-uniformity of many of their units looks great.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »
My plan was to maintain the red theme that is prevailant throughout the models if you notice the funky hats and halb shafts!

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 12:22:38 AM »
Ah, nice!  Bring back the red period!
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline petey241

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 12:24:13 AM »
Yeah you know it!

Cheers,
Pete