home

Author Topic: Talabeclanders and Mercenaries  (Read 5305 times)

Offline Archilector_Malaga

• Members
Re: Talabeclanders and Mercenaries
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2023, 09:54:12 AM »
Beautiful minis. They look even better when on the table. Congrats!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2023, 01:17:58 PM »
Thanks, mates!

Quote from: b0007452
Must be 6 years or so since I got a game in, I'll be trying to motivate people to dust off the 8th Ed rulebook and our boards this summer.

Do it! Playing the first games after years had a magical feeling.

After half a year I cannot avoid getting more tactical and list-specific with the 6th ed unit slot limitations. Big games of 3000+ pts are nice because you can and will take more of the ordinary troops. The 8th ed with the percentages might be a bit different in this respect.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2023, 06:01:07 PM »
Good looking stuff, in particular the colorful old dwarfs.

And neat game pictures. The tables do look a bit cramped in the big games and as you noted that affects game play. That is a bit inevitable unless you happen to have access to a great hall. Still awesome how you are living the big game dream!
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2024, 07:52:32 AM »
In 2023, I painted over 250 figurines. However, only a few fit this forum & thread. These are the ones I did after the previous post.

Very old Halflings by Grenadier.

The animal side of the Empire! (Mostly by Hovels.)

Reaper's Crusader Sir Broderick, my 10th or so Warrior Priest (who likes grilled lamb).

And his dog, maybe. Also by Reaper.

Here's my most recent 6th ed game with the Empire, against Nurgly Beastmen. Didn't use Talabeclanders, but my trusty Stirland army.

The giant and the ambushers ate my warmachines and back table shooters, but were eventually defeated.

A rookie mistake in movement & placing let the Beastman General's unit charge my Inner Circle Knights' flank. The unit fled & rallied & stood their ground (and kept their points), but the Beastman General challenged and I answered with my general. Eventually my general was killed, causing a 300pts swing in points, and the Beastmen got a minor victory.

Lot's of swingy dice rolls, but rather balanced. A very enjoyable game with tension, frustration and fullfillment.
  • The Helblaster first shot the Bestigors to pieces, causing them to flee so that they never posed a threat again. And then promptly exploded when trying to shoot a unit of skirmishing Beastmen at short range.
  • The Pistoliers killed one chariot, first reducing it to one wound on my turn, and then stand & shot that one wound away when he charged. Subsequently they killed a Chaos Spawn. They then charged the Minotaurs' back, but failed to cause any wounds during two rounds of combat and were hacked to pieces and eaten.
  • First time ever I took the Griffon Standard on my Swordsmen, and boy that was effective. Beat a unit of Beastmen skirmishers, a unit of Nurglings, and eventually the Giant, who failed his Stubborn break test and became a fleeing casualty the last turn.

My Huntsmen performed rather well, holding a sparse flank against the chaos warhounds and eventually beating them in close combat. Subsequently they got five hits on the Minotaurs, but failed to cause any wounds. However, they shot the giant in his back at extreme range, causing two wounds! Lots of sixes in that rolling.

-Z
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:35:23 AM by Zygmund »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2024, 04:32:31 PM »
Like the new warrior priest a lot.  It reminds me of the phrase, "speak softly, and carry a big stick", and the painting is fabulous, too!

:icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2024, 04:55:44 PM »
Great stuff!  Love the action shots :-)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2024, 08:45:35 AM »
Some new additions.

Captain on Pegasus.

Valten and Engineer w/HLR.

I'm wondering if the Valten model would be a good Sigmarite priest in normal games? Or maybe a grand master of a pious order?

-Zyg

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2024, 05:59:32 AM »
That Valten can be anything.
General, Captain, GM, Chapter Master, Warrior Priest, Lector, Witch Hunter.
Whatever you like.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2024, 02:26:56 PM »
^
*snickers* I remember when that mini was first released, a few other Empire players i knew HATED him as they fealt he was over-powered

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2024, 03:51:17 PM »
^
*snickers* I remember when that mini was first released, a few other Empire players i knew HATED him as they fealt he was over-powered

Well, I've only used him in a threefold game with Grimgor and Archaon. Didn't feel OP. :-)

The rules for this model are hugely restrictive to the character allotment. Valten takes up the lord choice and TWO character choices. And costs 490pts. Do you want a BSB, a small wizard, a warrior priest, or an engineer? Getting overwhelmed in the magic phase is a reality if you take this Valten.

He's super good if he gets to fight rank and file and there are many combats going on within 12" of him. Or if he can challenge a very tough opponent. But if these don't happen, his points are wasted.

-Zyg

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2024, 02:21:47 PM »
^
I mispoke. Most of the complaints i heard about him when he was first released was that the accompanying fiction were hinting at him being more powerful than Archon