home

Author Topic: Slingers for Spear units  (Read 3833 times)

Offline jhig

• Members
Slingers for Spear units
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:26:10 PM »
A couple of ideas to throw into the pot. I have not read all the posts so someone may have come up with this before.

Upgrades for State Troops:

Spears upgrade with 5 Slingers allowing unit to stand and shoot 10 shots. Slingers melt back into unit before chargers arrive.

Swordsmen upgrade with 5 figures with a brace of pistols also allowing 10 shots as above.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Slingers for Spear units
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »
With 626680 post on the forum, you're forgiven. :icon_wink:

- - -

But seriously ... those sound like some cool ideas! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Silic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 03:30:22 AM »
I would love to see pistol braces (and 17th century pistols in general) more incorporated into the army. Your suggestion is very appealing. It would be a very cool modeling opportunity.

Offline jhig

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 04:22:30 AM »
As a Stirland General I thought slingers would make sense for spears. Also I think the sling is underrated. Should be at least AP!!

I also want to scatter caltrops in front of my troops to slow Ogres (and cavalry) down!!

Offline Thomas Aagaard

• Members
  • "Victoria per Diciplin"
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
Have you ever tried using a sling?

It takes a good deal of space. and can't be used unless you got space around you.

So we are basicly talking a skirmish formation... thats not realy possible to combine with the close order of a spearwall.

And you allready have the option, with the detachment system.
Just have 10 handgunners and you get your 10 shots.
Thomas Aagaard
"Stirland Kampfgruppe Forwards!"
"Victoria per Diciplin"

Offline jhig

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:40 PM »
I sort of envisioned chaps slipping out of the formation to shoot and then moving back into the formation. Obviously this would all take place within the charge phase. Probably being represented by having figures in the unit a bit like Night Goblin Netters. Just an idea to give spears a bit more bite. I realise it won't happen just thought it was an idea for making basic formations more exciting.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
This is like the old city guard for Dark Elves.  Repeaters/Hand weapon + Shield in the front rank and spears behind.

Unfortunately as useful as this might be, and I think it suits free company better than it suits spearmen/halberds/swords, GW is toning down the crazy in 8th and making things uniform.

Perhaps in 9th?

Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Thomas Aagaard

• Members
  • "Victoria per Diciplin"
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
I repeat. we already have the detachment system.
Thomas Aagaard
"Stirland Kampfgruppe Forwards!"
"Victoria per Diciplin"

Offline jhig

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 04:47:33 PM »
Yes. Detatchment system is great. I use, I like it. This would be additional and would give character to spear units from poorer areas. Having 5 models representing young lads (all called David) who follow the spear units perhaps foraging for rabbits and slinging at the enemy before the charge and then slinking back into the unit. Only being represented by models that stay at the back. Oh and the models would not have shoes!! :-D

I realise that it is unlikely for GW to do this. I may try this as an upgrade in the campaign I hope to run.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:50:39 PM by jhig »