home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 3.1: Shadow Swamp  (Read 15134 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 3.1: Shadow Swamp
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
One question, the juggers banner gives them an additional d6 in first charge, or does the deamongod get to choose when to use it ? It would great if it was wasted on the pistoliers ,o)

The way I read it-  it is their first charge move.  Hence, it will be wasted on the Pistoliers.   :icon_cool:

Having chaff units is immensly satisfying.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »
One question, the juggers banner gives them an additional d6 in first charge, or does the deamongod get to choose when to use it ? It would great if it was wasted on the pistoliers ,o)

The way I read it-  it is their first charge move.  Hence, it will be wasted on the Pistoliers.   :icon_cool:

Having chaff units is immensly satisfying.

Never leave the Province without it!
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

• Members
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
"You...you and you over there ....come with us we need some living bait....yes you will face certain doom...don´t know what kind yet."

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
Eighth edition is Chafftastic.....
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
When talking about chaff, it strikes me to kind of weird that the huge horde attacking a mere 5 archers needs to wheel around to maximize contact. Somehow it would be more appropriate for the defender to line up against the charger (and in case of multiple chargers, the most numerous of units).

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
When talking about chaff, it strikes me to kind of weird that the huge horde attacking a mere 5 archers needs to wheel around to maximize contact. Somehow it would be more appropriate for the defender to line up against the charger (and in case of multiple chargers, the most numerous of units).

Pure logic, mate!
Would you and four of your friends try to get into hand to hand with a mob of bloodletters? Nope! I'll stay right here thank you very much! (Chaff individuals haven't read the step up rule so naturally they feel safe)

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »

Pure logic, mate!
Would you and four of your friends try to get into hand to hand with a mob of bloodletters? Nope! I'll stay right here thank you very much! (Chaff individuals haven't read the step up rule so naturally they feel safe)

Uhhh. Logic you say, now that's an interesting concept   :biggriin:

If my small archer detachment gets stormed, I would think that the blood letters would hack-n-slash their way through the unit without need for any turning... Well lets not hi-jack this good thread  :::cheers:::

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
Option 3

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »
"You...you and you over there ....come with us we need some living bait....yes you will face certain doom...don´t know what kind yet."

What dirty peasant could ever turn down such an amazing offer?

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »

i like the #2 idea (though if it was just me i would have charged already   :icon_smile:  ) however we have no guarantee that he is going to keep pursuing the knights. I feel this is our opportunity to not only tie him down far away from our lines, but also to eliminate him outright via combat rez. (focusing our dice on the STR debuff, ensuring he gets minimum combat rez himself)

Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
#3 for me.  I'd rather tie up the KoS in a battle of our choosing.  Option #2 is a gamble that he chases our knights and doesn't go straight for the middle of our army, where he can go nuclear. 

• Members
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
**UPDATE***

Option 2 won by a vote of 9 to 5.  We are going with Option 2, but I will play out Option 3 afterward just to see how it would have gone.

Empire Movement Phase

A few modifications from the original graph.  I moved up both the Halbs detachments to straddle the Helblaster.  If any Flesh Hounds survive, they will not be able to squeeze in the gap to charge the ‘Blaster-  unless only 1 survives, but it is the best we can do.  The Halbs reform and move up behind them to get within 3” to provide Steadfast, if need be.

The Greatswords and detachment slide 2” to the left to give more breathing room.  The Hurri positions itself to provide its buffs to the line and our Wizard bunker takes a spot safely behind the GS.

Last-  the rest of our detachments move up the center to prepare for divertion against the cavalry or the horde when it finally arrives.

All it took was one turn and our lines look better already.

Empire Movement Phase

Not great Winds O Magic.  We roll a 5 and 1 with no channels and Bloodlord gets 1 channel-  so 6 PD to 6 DD.

We toss 2 dice at a Miasma targeting Movement on the Keeper to hopefully slow it down.  We get a 9+4-2=11.

Bloodlord tosses 4 of his DD at it and gets 2x6s.  Dispelled.

Next we toss a 4-dice boosted Withering on the Flesh Hounds and get 14+4-2=16.  Exactly what we needed!  Bloodlord tosses his remaining 2 DD and fails to dispel.  We reduce the Flesh Hounds Toughness by 3-  down to 1!

Empire Shooting Phase

Time to throw a cannonball down range.  We get a 6, a 6 on the bounce for a hit, we wound, the Keeper fails his Ward Save and so now we roll for wounds…and get a 4.  It has 1 wound remaining!

The Helblaster fires out some lead at the Flesh Hounds-  getting a 10, 8, 6.  Out of 24 shots it hits with a whooping 13!  It only fails to wound with 2.  Bloodlord only makes 2 Ward saves so we kill all the Hounds but 1 and it has 1 wound remaining!  (I hope I didn’t jinx us by saying he could only charge the ‘Blaster if he had only 1 left….)

Hopefully the Archers finish what the Blaster started…they get 2 wounds and Bloodlord makes 1 Ward Save.  The Flesh Hounds are destroyed!

The Pistoliers fire on the Bloodcrushers to no effect.

Here is what is looks like at the end:

Alternate Scenario using Option 3

Just to see how it would come out, here is how Option 3 would have unfolded:

6PD to 6DD.

All 6 dice on Enfeebling on the Keeper produced IF.  Unfortunately, Strength was only reduced by 1, down to 5.

The Miscast was an 8, but only caused a wound on the Wizard.

Knights fail their Fear test, but due to the Pennant make the reroll.  Pistoliers make the test.

In a non-challenge scenario:
For combat-  the Keeper got 6 hits on the Pistoliers but rolled 4 1s…so only 2 wounds. 

Pistoliers cause no wounds.

General fails to wound.  Knights get 1 wound and the Keeper fails its Ward Save.  Horses no effect.

Combat Resolution:
Empire-  1 charge, 1 flank, 1 wound, 1 Banner
Daemons-  2 wounds.

Bloordlord loses by 2.  It takes another wound due to its Instability roll.  It still has 3 remaining.

In a challenge scenario: 
The Keeper gets 4 hits on the General.  1 taken away by the Charmed Shield.  2 wounds.  General makes 1 AS and 1 WS so takes no wounds.

In return, the GotE gets 2 hits, 1 wound but the Keeper makes his WS.

Combat Resolution:
Empire-  1 charge, 1 flank, 1 Banner
Daemons-  Nothing.

Loses by 3 and takes 2 wounds from the Instability roll.  Like the non-challenge scenario, it still has 3 wounds remaining.

On the following turn, the Keeper goes first and either kills enough Pistoliers or the General to get back to full health.  It wins combat resolution in both.

----------------------------------

Well, Option 3 would have at least tied up the Keeper for a few rounds.  If we got lucky on the next round with a better Enfeebling or Withering maybe we could take it down…

However, it looks like, based on our cannonball’s effectiveness, we made the right choice!  (As long as we hit it again!)

I will run Bloodlord's turn and create our next thread-  hopefully tomorrow.  I figured I would at least get this out to you so you could enjoy the turn.

Things are looking pretty good!

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

• Members
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »
we flee get away rally reduce the toughness and kill it with arrows.....how grand Empire is!

Fantastic turn and the demons.....at Turn 2 look like they are in serious trouble.

How far is the keeper away from the knights?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:14:33 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »
I LOVE our cannons!   :biggriin:

What happens if he parks his Flesh Hounds behind our Pistoliers?  Would that create more problems for us than if he charges them?  I certainly don't see him sending them against our knights.   :icon_confused:

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »
Yeah, they're in a tight spot but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Were I the Daemon player:
  • Switft reform the crushers to a more narrow frontage and march past the pistoliers ignoring them.
  • Charge the pistoliers with the KoS. I believe single model units have something like a 180 Line of Sight so I think it can pull it off, if not then march toward the fence to protect it against further cannon balls. It would be a fool to charge out knights after taking those wounds on turn 1.  Alternatively, it can retreat to conserve VPs.
  • Alternatively, he can charge the pistoliers with the flesh hounds and, if they get away, move past them with the crushers, leaving the crushers in a good position for next turn.

Either way, we're not out of the swamp yet.

BTW, we didn't get our Hurricanum dice last magic phase. Might have helped things turn out differently.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

• Members
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
nope only 45 ° the keeper could try for the knigths better chances to survive than against another round of shooting..I think he wouldn´´t even get cover against the archers so they could go for it....pinging it to death.

If he charges with the hounds only the pistoliers should also just accept as the bloodcrushers will stick around about where they are...we still have so much chaff left and he will be running out of options each ongoing turn and take more casualties while we prepare the battle where and how we want.

good catch on the hurricanum...one of those things many players might forget often.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:31:21 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

• Members
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »
BTW, we didn't get our Hurricanum dice last magic phase. Might have helped things turn out differently.

Oops.  I usually don't run one.  We might have tossed an extra dice on the Miasma, but it wouldn't have changed the result of the turn based on how Bloodlord spent his DD.

I will make sure and remember it for future turns.   :icon_cool:

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »
It would be a fool to charge out knights after taking those wounds on turn 1.  Alternatively, it can retreat to conserve VPs.
I think charging the knights is exactly what he wants to do with the KoS - he gains immunity to cannonballs, recovers lost wounds, and takes out our general in a couple of rounds.  Not a bad deal.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
  • Switft reform the crushers to a more narrow frontage and march past the pistoliers ignoring them.
Good call on the crushers.  While that could be problematic,  It will also make him more vulnerable to our cannon, lining them up. 
I'm a little disappointed with the position of our knights.  They will require some redirecting in order to be of much use.  [/list]

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
Inportant Question:   Can you make a charge reaction if you are charged in the flank?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »
Inportant Question:   Can you make a charge reaction if you are charged in the flank?
You always make a charge reaction.  You could even elect to stand & shoot if you're charged in the rear (but I don't think you could shoot because you would lack Line of Sight).

Offline Windelov

• Members
Sv: Re: Tactical Decision Game 3.1: Shadow Swamp
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »
Yeah, they're in a tight spot but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Were I the Daemon player:

I believe single model units have something like a 180 Line of Sight so I think it can pull it off
Cant swift reform and march, only move... And I dont think rules for LOS are different for single models.
[/list]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:56:50 PM by Windelov »

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2012, 04:27:37 PM »
phew! thankfully everyone voted to be safe! i was certainly hoping for a more favourable In challenge match up!

but, moving on. i think he is in a bind, He really needs those wounds back before we end this game early with another mighty ball
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2012, 04:41:12 PM »
I think the demonlord should charge the pistollers in the flank with the dogs and in the front with the metal yoks

• Members
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
And they will do what chaff does..fire their owm salute...and die