home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 140841 times)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 8Dec2017 - wizard and crossbow)
« Reply #275 on: December 10, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »
Nothing wrong with Battlemasters crossbowman, they add character to the unit and they're a conversation starter.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
Great looking Altdorfers. I really dig your style. And that mage is lit. ::heretic::
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline SirGhandor

• Members
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2018, 03:38:27 AM »
Sir, you are a MACHINE!!! I've bounced around as a guest on this forum for a couple years now before making an account, and have continually impressed me with your painting fortitude. Well done sir! Keep it up!!
“If you find yourself with a desire that no experience in this world can satisfy, then the most probable explanation is that you were made for another world.” -C.S. Lewis

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2018, 08:27:22 PM »
welcome to the cult SirGhandor
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2018, 08:59:07 PM »
Sir, you are a MACHINE!!! I've bounced around as a guest on this forum for a couple years now before making an account, and have continually impressed me with your painting fortitude. Well done sir! Keep it up!!

Wow, well, I am glad this thread helped getting you out of lurker-dom!

and thanks EVERYONE for the kind words. The machine has been sputtering as of late. But, I think I might be able to finish the Empire side this year, there are ~80 spearmen and 20 Reiksguard left to do. Should be possible even when not firing on all cylinders. And, I have some ideas for Volganof buildings that I want to tackle. I guess I am saying the madness will continue (at a snail's pace).

Happy New Year everyone!
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline hamster

• Members
« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2018, 10:34:26 PM »
if we can just get a photo, of every model completed, that will be all we need as thanks.

Offline Midnight_Fox

• Members
« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
Thanks guys.

I am guessing there is a maniac with a chaos army that can take on your Volganof force somewhere in UK, you should try to reach out on facebook groups / forums.

You could try to lure your partner back with Kings of War, which has rules for both historical and fantasy, so he can switch up what he plays in the same ruleset. He can even play historical vs fantasy. It will also make the actual game waaaaay quicker than what is needed with WFB rules.
I am in the US but, this country isn't short of maniacs of various kinds...

I'm in the US and while my Chaos isn't up to it quite yet(but surprisingly close even with the required stuff), I could drop some plans and probably have it there by 2020. ;P

A lot of what

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2018, 05:18:40 AM »
I'm in the US and while my Chaos isn't up to it quite yet(but surprisingly close even with the required stuff), I could drop some plans and probably have it there by 2020. ;P

A lot of what

Chaos does get quite a few fun-crazy things. Two headed giants, wizard and coven on a floating rock, not to mention 18 skullcrusher. AL is a bit on the other side of the country, that would be a long road trip :roll:

Offline Midnight_Fox

• Members
« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »

A lot of what

Chaos does get quite a few fun-crazy things. Two headed giants, wizard and coven on a floating rock, not to mention 18 skullcrusher. AL is a bit on the other side of the country, that would be a long road trip :roll:

Whoops, need to update that.

My wife's Military, so I could be closer or farther by that time. ;P

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2018, 10:57:16 PM »
22Feb2018
Here we go again. Another brave Altdorf Regiment joins in. This one is a bit of a personal achievement for it is the last of my 6/7th edition main line regiments that I touched up and buffed to 8th size. Only took what, eight years?

The unit contains some of my oldest conversions. Still quite fond of the captain. This is one of the few Empire bodies that looks okay with a knight kit head.

There would have been grumbling about all these bloody foreigners in the city in normal times. But, with Lord Mortkin and his horde fast approaching it does not matter what corner of the Empire you are from. You will be welcomed, given a sword or axe or dagger and sent to the walls.

Speaking of Lord Mortkin, here are two of his most trusted lieutenants. Riding mighty manticores (or, as rumor has it, they share just one) they were sent against the Wolf Gate in a diversionary attack. As Lord Mortkin successfully pressed the main attack on the Gryphon Gate that diversion turned into a serious breach and chaos warband roamed the streets in the Northern quarters of Volganof.

(so if anyone has a suggestion for an second mount I am all ears. That giant wizard cloak makes it hard)

I’ve also made a start on the next (and LAST!) close combat block. Originally I wanted to do Ostland Spearmen but, I got my hands on a box of warlord pikemen and it is just too much fun to go full peacock and color them up every which way.

I tested out how mixing in GW guys would work. The daintiest ones (6th edition starter box) work pretty well. I think the old multipart plastics could also be okay, as long as one is smart about picking the smaller helmeted heads. As an aside I have to say, some of these historicals have rather outrageous helmet shapes. Well, these guys will keep my spirits up as I work my way through the batch of Reiksguard that is next.

The official Volganof counter:
903/969
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:03:54 PM by Naitsabes »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 22FebDec2018 - spearmen and pikes and bad guys)
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2018, 11:06:02 PM »
WHOA !!! nice work sir  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 22FebDec2018 - spearmen and pikes and bad guys)
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2018, 11:41:26 PM »
Incredible skill. Each piece is a masterwork.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Dark Lord Galax

• Members
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2018, 12:19:17 AM »
Nice unit! I especially love the Captain and, moreover, the whole command group. Chapeau!  :smile2:

I made a similar choice of head to convert four of my old plastic halberdiers, and the results are good too. Empire knights heads fit particulary well on those bodies. You gave me the idea to try to make a dismounted Panther Templar unit starting from those bodies.
Now I just have to find 15 or more of them  :dry:

A regiment from Altdorf, by the way, is always worth the view.
Love the effort you put on it, changing heads to the monopose spearmen from 6th edition in order to make them all look different. Nice work!
Is the head of the front rank guy on the extreme left (first pic) from Warlord games pikemen? If so, I must say it fits pretty well on old Gw bodies.

Truly love the pikemen too.
:x  :mellow:  :ph34r:  "Fede, acciaio e povere da sparo"  :engel:  :happy:  :dry:

Offline hamster

• Members
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2018, 02:42:08 AM »
and so there I was, planning a new army for pike and shotte, then I check empire to see if anything new has showed up, and of course I see this and now I have to go back to warhammer, JUST GOT AROUND TO STARTING THE FIRST MUSKETEERS BUT NOOOOOO Naitsabes THAT WOULD JUST BE TO EASY NOW WOULDN'T IT!  :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2018, 04:05:18 AM »
Excellent spears unit, I love how those have been done. :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:

And the manticore and his riders, outstanding. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Wondering where the riders came from.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
Indeed, each model is a masterwork.  :eusa_clap:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
Simply amazing! Well done indeed.  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
That regiment is great! The captain especially is amazing. I would never have guessed that he started as a boring monopose halberdier.
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »
Those pikemen are really looking good so far!

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2018, 08:32:53 AM »
Cheers guys, glad you like it.

A regiment from Altdorf, by the way, is always worth the view.
Love the effort you put on it, changing heads to the monopose spearmen from 6th edition in order to make them all look different. Nice work!
Is the head of the front rank guy on the extreme left (first pic) from Warlord games pikemen? If so, I must say it fits pretty well on old Gw bodies.
Good eye, I believe it is. Some of the heads are interchangeable. Some of the more outrageous GW heads I don't think would work.

and so there I was, planning a new army for pike and shotte, then I check empire to see if anything new has showed up, and of course I see this and now I have to go back to warhammer, JUST GOT AROUND TO STARTING THE FIRST MUSKETEERS BUT NOOOOOO Naitsabes THAT WOULD JUST BE TO EASY NOW WOULDN'T IT!  :::cheers:::
well, can't you just move your historical gaming up a bit into Italian Wars and the like? Then you can use the same models for both. Synergy for the win!

Excellent spears unit, I love how those have been done. :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:
And the manticore and his riders, outstanding. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
Wondering where the riders came from.
These are just the regular guys that came with the kit. BTW I still haven't found another mount for the wizard. But, the lord should look okay on a juggernaught.

Again, thanks everybody for taking the time to comment.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »
@Naitsabes, lovely work on the Infantry, I can't imagine doing all those different colours but the pay off seems worth it, they look fantastic!

The Blue/Red Spearmen as well, really like the contrast, the Brown of the Spear Shafts and the little detail of the Gold on the Champion/Count Shields instead of Silver like the rest of the unit and the feathers for the helmets too, seeing large ranked units like this makes me very happy. Keep up the great work. 

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2018, 01:50:40 AM »
Interesting, and I might need to get me one of those manticore kits at some point.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2018, 04:52:09 AM »
Great stuff :::cheers:::

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
Wow sire loving that pikes!!! These heads swaps on spearmen looks great too :eusa_clap: