home

Author Topic: Stroll thinks about the empire.  (Read 12339 times)

Offline strollinthewoods

• Members
Stroll thinks about the empire.
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »

The new book is out. The time of rumors is past us.. and instead of speculating, I now need to actually start thinking of how I am going to use the army of the Empire.

I think the empire is among the most versitile armies around. And that suits me very well. When I sit down and look at the options available I am almost overwhelmed
with all the interesting stuff routes you can decide to go with the army.

In this thread I will put down some of my initial thoughts about what  I personally am tinking about in my army.

Very early on after reading the new book, I realized that my General most likely will be a plain General of the Empire.  And the reason for it, is that he is the one hero that can be mounted on a pegasuss, and have enough points for the crown, and some protectve gear to go with it.

Different playstyles have different emphasis on what they try and accomplish. Look at the "play like woodelf" list here on these forums for intance. And cross reference that with Callissons exelent playstyle chart, and you see that its the playstyle more than what armie thats the really important thing to consider. One army may be better at a certian playstyle than others due to armie specific rules and inherent abilities, but thats still secondary the way I see it. While Im sitting and typing this, there is 3 tibetan terriers laying at my feet. And for those who know anything about Ceasar Millans philosophy when it comes to creating balanced dogs, is among other things adressing the dog, before the breed.

It may seem like a far fetched anology, but I am not looking at the empire book firstly as
"the empire book", but I look at it as a warhammer army, that I can use in the same manner I would another list. Then I am later forced to adapt to the breed, in the list when it comes to the different flavors between different armies.

In other words I have NO "rules" as to how empire is "supposed" to be played

So back to my general. I will mount him on a pegasuss. And I will do the same with my bsb.  This is first and formost so to help me get a solid grip of the movement phase in the game. Beeing able to
1. Quickly relocate force multipliers in space.
2. Be able to stop enemy movement with the Crown of command lord in a reliable manner- meaning I need to be able to follow whereever the lord goes with my bsb for the all important re-roll.

Offline strollinthewoods

• Members
Re: Stroll thinks about the empire.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »
This is eqactly the same stuff I did in my Dark elf list. And quite frankly the empire does it cheaper, and in some ways better.  You dont have accsess to the inverse wardsave, but you do have accsess to 1+ save with re-roll and some wardsave in addition to the crown- and more importantly the life lore to supplement your amry as a whole- and that means you have the ability to heal. Something the dark elfs does not.

One great thing about Pegauss mounts is their footprint. You can place them inside normal human and elfish infantry and they rank up inside the unit. Wheras mounted heroes on horses need to go along side it.  Might not be important you might think. But it really adds up if you go for many units, and space is something you actually need lots of in order to function well. Beeing able to put 2 mounted heroes in the front rank of a 5 man wide infatry block, instead of on on each side of the unit makes a rather big difference. Not only in space, but also when it comes to the perfomance of the unit . Few can strike back at the actual unit with only 1 model representing it in the frontrank.
This is great when conserving own units lost is just as important as inflicting wounds on the opponent.(you loose a lot of attacks also from your unit when you put in 2 heroes like this)

The Empire breed.
Options now available to me that I am not used to have, is beeing able to transfer my stubborn over to detachment units.  This makes the detacments not only able to act as redirectors and speedbumbs to postpone the order of fights, but it makes them able to actually go in front of a enemy unit, and pin them down in a way that makes you able to countercharge with the parent unit(or any other for that matter)

I also now have the option of using the countercharge rules of the infantry.
This goes very well with my tendancy to prefere beeing on the recieving end of a charge, instead of actually beeing the one who charges.

Empire the dog.
Still I can use the Crown lord as I am used to. And either put him in carrier units of knights or other stuff that can actually do some damage, and pin down a unit without much danger of breaking. - The chocobos looks like exelent carrier units.
I can still send him in alone to hold up really scary meat-grinder like units that my troops are inferior to in combat.

Putting this hero in front of units at an agle(like you would and eagle) is among my favorite moves to make, pinning them down in the movementphase, and having some hard hitting unit of your own ready that he knows will hit his flank if he tries to go into the crown lord.

Offline strollinthewoods

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »

I say this- Its important when you make lists, and when you play that you realize that mounted heores, especially like a pegasuss lord, is likely to have the crown.- It belongs in the game and you need to adapt to it. There is losts of things you can do, but whining until the crown is banned from all lists is not one I would advice. Realizing the bsb is vital to his survival in combat is one thing to be aware of.  Its the same with deamons and the bloodthirster.  If you think in warcraft 3 terms it is very much like the Blade master and the shadow priest. You need to take down the healing shadow priest before you can actually kill the Blade. And its the same- go after the bsb before you put all your effort into killing of a lord kitted out just to survive.

What I was very much missing in the old book when I started thinking about starting up again with my empire, was a monster I dont care to much what kind of monster it is- thats thinking to much about the breed, no I was not happy that there did not seem to be a viable doggy like monster at all.- Im still refering to cesar millan if some are starting to get annoyed with my breed/dog talk all the time- You will either get it or you dont, but I do hope its the first. And its a real possiblity that i am yet again talking abit convoluted.=)

The old steam tank was NOT an viable option the way I saw it. The new one is not only viable-- its the way I see it awfully good. The nice thing about monsters is that they have quite a few uses in a normal game. They just walz over all kind of enemy chaff,
and can normally be counted on doing more damage than they take in return from normal infantry units- Meaning they can reliably break a infantry unit unsuported given enough time. They can be great force multipliers in combined combats, and are like chariots great units to clip in on corners of engaged units to bring lots of damage into a little contact surface.

Monsters are generally very good at beeing a viable counter ot other monsters.

Having units that can performe more than 1 task is great. And with the new steamtank you get more than we actually bargained for. Beeing able to choose not to engage in combats but roll around d6 and just use the breath weapon turn after turn after turn is a great option to have.  In my dark elf list, I often needed to use the breath weapon of the hydra to remove half of large steadfast bunker units. One might think its a waste of such a good breathweapon to use it on thigs like slaves, goblins and gnoblars, but if you dont have other means in your breed to to the job, then using the hydra breathweapon just might be the smart thing to do. At least thats was my solution. Against such units i would normally combine the hydra, and black dragon egg to more or less totally remove such a unit from the game instead of having it pin me down for days on end in close combat.

Offline strollinthewoods

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:26:37 PM »

The Steam Tank has what it needs to perform in most of the areas i need a monster to performe, and it does it very well. And in addition it goes beyond in certian areas and bring more to the table than most with its high armour, enourmous ammount of wounds, unbreakable and cannon.- combined with healing magic, the thing is probably more underpriced than the hydra. There I said it.

Im not used to having cannons, and even though I think they are just awfully great I will  be content with the one the steamtank brings to the table, and the only warmachine I will field is 1 hellblaster with an engineer. It will give me a great excuse to practice my modeling skills, and do an very important task in the army- reliably remove entire units of caff. Nothing as annoying than having to adapt your plans because you cant get rid of
diverters of your own.

Normally I would bring 2 lvl 1 mages to use up all my winds of magic dice on pure damage each round. And empire can do that very well. But they also have accsess to the life lore, among the best lores I can think of mostly due to the lore attribute, and the toughness spell. So instead of my normal approach i will spam lifebloom with the life lore on a lvl 3 mage. - The steam tank and pegasuss heroes all benefit greatly from having easy accsess to healing wounds lost.

I WILL bring flagelants in a unit of 18. With the old book I would have had 2 units of 18, were 1 counted as core. Now the core unit is gone, and instead I bring a unit of 3 chocobos. The vacum in the core fills itself with accsess to Inner circkle knights as core, so that turns out to be of no consern.

Again- flagelants do many of the things I look for in a unit.
It has high dmg output on small frontages.
It as accsess to hatred even without hero support.
It is reliable when it comes to panic, terror causers etc.
It has guaranteed damage vs a lot of different things thanx to striking on normal initiative-  This is one of they key aspects for me with this unit. It means it can do some serious hurt against most enemy monsters( a few I4 ones out there I need to look out for)  It also means it will be great against other Greatweapon units that strike last.
They can performe well against I3 knights.

The closest alternative in the empire linup would seem to be the greatswords, but they will performe horribly in many of the matchups I mentioned above.-  So I feel greatswords would need to be in much greater numbers to do what medium sized units of flagelants can do.

Offline strollinthewoods

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »
Dictating movement.
I would normally use harpies, or wolfriders to carrie most of the workload here.
With the empire breed though, this is something they lack. There is just no good unit with fast movement speed to fill this role.
But the reiksguard knights is a partial solution to the same problem. Its a different approach to dictating the movement flow of the game than I am used to, but its non the less a viable option. - 1-2 units of 5 will be more or less mandatory in my list, and they can performe well in different roles.

They can march up and pin down units with the help of the stubborn. The flying bsb will be a great safty net when using them in this role.
Having str 6 and +1 save means they are among the better hard hitters in the list, and can team up with other unit on combo charges, charge monsters, or team up with heroes to make a hammer unit.

I was planning on using normal heroes mounted on steeds costing 60 pts as my own support "units".- this is no longer as viable an option. But I will bring a 88 pts warrior priest to partially work in this role non the less. And when hes not performing in those task he will act as a force multiplier with his hatred.

More or less dedicated to killing chaff will then be. the hellblaster, with a unit of 5 gw knights as a babysitter in case 2 incoming units against the helblaster. The warrrior priest. The pegasuss lord.( he can do it, but often not the bsb. to risky for him.)
the reiksguard knights, and a unit of 10 archers.) Im pumping the archer detachment up to 10 because of the ability to make them stubborn. And its now actually a reason to have a second rank due to support attacks even on archers.

Enough for now.. more like a fence than a wall =)

Offline MarkoV

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
tl;dr
Faith, Steel and Gunpowder.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »
tl;dr

Urban Dictionary: tl;dr
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl%3Bdr
Literally, "Too long; didn't read" Said whenever a nerd makes a post that is too long to bother reading.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
I read all of that. My brain now hurts. It's a Saturday I shouldn't have to read.
Thanks anyway though.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
Some interesting thoughts. I do not think it is too long to read (most of my job and spare time consists of reading anyway), but perhaps a somewhat clearer division with headlines might make it easier to read.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:42:45 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline CaptainChris

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 08:37:58 PM »
Not only wasn't it too long to read, it's well formatted and thought out.  This is the type of discussion I like to read.  I'm soaking it all in still, but initially I have to say I like your approach to the army.  As a follower of Cesar's Way I'm impressed by how often the simple tenants apply to my everyday life. I hadn't considered it in warhammer, but it has a ring of truth. 

Some of the finer points I think I disagree with you on, or rather I see less of a need for and would like to move points around.  For example I think a General on griffon makes a better stubborn hat wearer, and monster hunter than a captasus and stank, and saves points that I can invest into the other roles like stubborn blocks and anti infantry warmachines.

But I'll put some more thoughts together here soon.

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
I think the strength of the Pegasus is that it cannot be shot out from under the General. It's basically a magic carpet that doesn't cut into the magic allowance (and can fight in combat). It's protected by all the equipment that you use to protect the General, and the role that he's being used for in this scenario is one of a mobile unit support, rather than a single monstrous fighting machine.

This made interesting reading, thank you.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
btw, I wasn't saying tl;dr, I was merely trying to be informative and pass on what my very quick google search had come up with for said bunch of letters.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Ratarsed

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »
btw, I wasn't saying tl;dr, I was merely trying to be informative and pass on what my very quick google search had come up with for said bunch of letters.

Thank you. I was baffled at the response. Now I know. Seems a bit rude but hey-ho you can't please everyone.

Offline strollinthewoods

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 10:48:50 PM »
tl;dr
The ability to arbitrarily read 400 small posts but not a long one.

The good thing about the pegasuss as a mount is that its impossible to kill.-its just like a normal steed in that regard. Its a great mount for your bsb captain to,  he gets a free wound because of it.

Next you need to protect him against cannons. So the charmed shield is golden. Always put him inside some of your infantry or knight units to begin with, and you can allocate more or less infinite shots towards the unit before you need to allocate one towards him. For that reason I would put him in a unit of infantry, and not say 5 knights to begin with.

2ndly the charmed shield only works against the first shot from a cannon ball, so you just cant skip the wardsave, you need the ward, and you need to be shooting his canons if he is trying to snipe your general. 

Pegasus mounted Lords are pretty darn hard to kill from afar, and they are soon enough in combat somewhere where they cant be cannon sniped anymore.  Trying to mount anything on a griffon I give credit for having balls of steel, but darn its hard to play with vs canons that auto hit both rider an mount.(and rock lobbers, and all other such weapons.)

Same reason I guess you will only see insane people riding on the wagons with their mage..   Trust me I once tried to squeeze some ounces out of my orcs and goblins rare category, and put a shaman on my araknarock and tried to make it work..  It does not, end of story.  Trying to play against things like ogre kingdoms with 2 ironblasters with such a mage feels like... - insert morbid imagination here -  :ph34r:

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »
Same reason I guess you will only see insane people riding on the wagons with their mage..   Trust me I once tried to squeeze some ounces out of my orcs and goblins rare category, and put a shaman on my araknarock and tried to make it work..  It does not, end of story.  Trying to play against things like ogre kingdoms with 2 ironblasters with such a mage feels like... - insert morbid imagination here -  :ph34r:
You're giving me nightmares  :ph34r:
The only time I could see anyone putting a wizard on one of those is if they know they won't be facing something like that.
Otherwise you are right! Insane  ::heretic::
Good call on the bsb capitain on a pegusus though.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Severus

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
Thanks for a very long and interesting read Stroll.

Even though I am not one of the most conservative of empire-players myself, I'm am booth shocked, provoked, and thrilled about how you plan to use the new book.

First I must say I agree with you on the flagellants, I find them much more useful than the greatswords. Their increase in WS really is useful, especially combined with  boosts from the Hurricanum and the War altar. Personally I will continue to use two units of 18, but it might be a bit slow...

Second I'm not a fan of the pegasi-bus with state troops, but I agree that it can be very effective in-game.

I also have a few questions:

How many points are you playing at the moment? It looks like around 2400 points, so what would you have to drop if you where to change it to 2000 points?

How is your BSB protected from canons? He seems to be very important to your strategy...

How are you planning to deal with the really big monsters with only one cannon, which often will be in combat?

I've read your infamous wall of text form your other thread, and while I understand how your Dark elves are able to delay, and eventually kill horde-units, I'm unsure about Empire having the killing power to soften them up and eventually kill them. Hordes with initiative of 4+ will kill allot before the rest of your troops get to strike.

Again, I’m really happy you are taking the time to write this.  :happy:

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts.

"cross reference that with Calisson's exellent playstyle chart"
I'd expect most W-E readers not to know what you're talking about.
I imagine you're referring at: D.R.A.I.C.H. – The style of a druchii army
I'd love to see your version adapted for W-E.

About your general & BSB, there are important alternatives:
1- are they to be in the front rank of the main unit? In that case they need the best defense you can buy. WP also have this role.
2- are they to avoid the hottest part of the melee? In that case they need the fastest mount you can breed. You can provide them with fancy jewels such as MR or magic banners. Sorcerers have a similar problem, with similar solutions.
3- are they a mobile tool to put additional pressure where it is needed? In that case they need the best weapons (TGM with runefang competes hardly for that role).
I understand that you take a mix of roles 1 and 3.
However, nothing prevents you to fly away before being charged, if the fight does not suit you.

"The chocobos looks like exellent carrier units."
Not that much. Too vulnerable to whatever ignores armor saves, magic, some warmachines, even snotling chariots.
Also, 3 or 4 DG plus 1 or 2 peggies = very cumbersome.
I understand much better the idea of going along with infantry, despite lacking "look out, Sir".

The Steam Tank has what it needs to perform in most of the areas i need a monster to perform
Except that in melee, the Stank is more a tar pit than a grinder, contrary to most monsters.
The STank cannon has a problem: instead of blowing off a 120pts warmachine, you risk to hinder a precious "monster" with double value. Still, it is much more usable than in previous army book.

the only warmachine I will field is 1 hellblaster with an engineer
If the hellblaster creates a 24" no man's land, that's a lot of pts not doing anything else than controlling that area (that's good already, I admit).
That's why I'm considering rather a group of hellblaster + engineer + cannon.
When no target at 24", the engie helps the cannon.
When anything comes close, the engie helps the hellblaster, the canon shoots by itself.
When the hellblaster is eventually charged, the engie positions himself in the middle, at angle, so that the pursuing enemy bumps on the engie and is directed away from the canon, thus buying more time for canonballs.

Normally I would bring 2 lvl 1 mages
Your approach was inspiring. Now I consider a mere beast, heavens or shadow lvl1 to complement the WP, just taking the default spell for buff/curse. All other PD will be used by WP.

I WILL bring flagelants in a unit of 18.
I'd love to hear you about the pros & cons compared to 3 units of 6.
Like druchii's WE MSU spam sometimes considered.

Offline MarkoV

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
To much horror of many readers, i did read what our author wrote, and i wasn't "excited". We have saying in Serbia, when someone says something so obvious, we say that he "Invented hot water". Reading that wallz of text i didn't see anything that players around me didn't tried, tested and failed/won.

That is why i tl;dr.

But, i hope that someone else will try out "inventing hot water". Like putting BSB on Pegasus wasn't best possible thing to do, even against ranged armies.

Offline strollinthewoods

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »
Marko, this thread is about my thoughts about what I am putting in my list, and some short description of why, and for what purpose. Im not saying I am inventing anything. 

Offline Bildskoene Bengtsson

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »
To much horror of many readers, i did read what our author wrote, and i wasn't "excited". We have saying in Serbia, when someone says something so obvious, we say that he "Invented hot water". Reading that wallz of text i didn't see anything that players around me didn't tried, tested and failed/won.

That is why i tl;dr.

But, i hope that someone else will try out "inventing hot water". Like putting BSB on Pegasus wasn't best possible thing to do, even against ranged armies.

tr;dl - too rude, didn't like.

Offline strollinthewoods

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »
A random thought that popped up today. I am was thinking quite a bit about witch hunters earlier today.

And there is no denying that they can be pretty darn good. I am first and foremost thinking about adding one to my army, but the more I think about the guys, the more I would like to make the most out of them. Mayby I will try at a later stage, but enough rambling- to the point!

Shadowmagic.- I think this might be the perfect lore to go with to supplement your Wichhunters. I would bring at least 2(or 3) hunters and a lvl 4 mage and most likely a lvl 1 death mage.

Ive heard losts of talk about how cool it would be to zip around on a flying carpet.- I dont like the carpet idea, but-
 The steed of shadows comes for free, as soon as you have access to it.

You lvl 4 mage can start sending out the witch hunters , and you can cast withering on the units containing the mages and heros you want to assassinate, to bring down their toughness, making your sniping all that more effective.

Putting witch hunters in right in front of units with mages is not a bad idea at all.  Use steed of shadows to get them into position and see how the enemy struggles to solve the problem. Charge and he will stand and shoot at your mage.

The gw models are darn cool, but my first witch hunter will be this gal here:
http://gutwrenchingrpg.org/jr/files/2012/03/Ameko.jpg
http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/IG_1542_1.jpg

Offline Nexus

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »

That is why i tl;dr.

Best username in a good while! Welcome!  :-D

Offline MarkoV

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »

That is why i tl;dr.

You confused me for someone who cares what you think ;)

Offline MarkoV

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »
A random thought that popped up today. I am was thinking quite a bit about witch hunters earlier today.

And there is no denying that they can be pretty darn good. I am first and foremost thinking about adding one to my army, but the more I think about the guys, the more I would like to make the most out of them. Mayby I will try at a later stage, but enough rambling- to the point!

Shadowmagic.- I think this might be the perfect lore to go with to supplement your Wichhunters. I would bring at least 2(or 3) hunters and a lvl 4 mage and most likely a lvl 1 death mage.

Ive heard losts of talk about how cool it would be to zip around on a flying carpet.- I dont like the carpet idea, but-
 The steed of shadows comes for free, as soon as you have access to it.

You lvl 4 mage can start sending out the witch hunters , and you can cast withering on the units containing the mages and heros you want to assassinate, to bring down their toughness, making your sniping all that more effective.

Putting witch hunters in right in front of units with mages is not a bad idea at all.  Use steed of shadows to get them into position and see how the enemy struggles to solve the problem. Charge and he will stand and shoot at your mage.

The gw models are darn cool, but my first witch hunter will be this gal here:
http://gutwrenchingrpg.org/jr/files/2012/03/Ameko.jpg
http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/IG_1542_1.jpg

If you want your WH to kick some ass, try something i did, lore of beasts. I managed to cast improved version of +3 str, toug and att to all my WH in 12 inch,(4 of them) and they kicked asses of their designated targets.

Best thing about them is their price, and fact that even if they are slow(if you leave em vanilla) they are going to do their dmg sometimes. And when they come...dang :D

P. S. strollinthewoods, soz for tl;dr ;)

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »
tl;dr

Possibly the most useless post I have ever seen on this forum as I didn't understand it.   Then again I am not that pleased with people who write in letters because I can't be bothered learning what all the silly letters mean.   We have a perfectly developed system for informing people of your thoughts, it involves writing words and call me a Luddite but I prefer it.

On the subject matter itself there are some very interesting ideas in it.   I'm not sure if you remember the captain-cruise-missile but what you are purposing with the witch hunter seems similar :)