home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 802772 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11350 on: February 13, 2019, 03:07:13 PM »
Watching Beard Bros play Alien: Isolation (I've seen Markiplier play multiple times) and I just realized (thatnks to the BB comentary) that one of the writers was Dan Abnett!
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11351 on: February 13, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
Thanks Warlord! I'm going to make some suggestions and see what turns out. I played all those game modes years ago and had totally forgotten about them.

In my solo game time I've been playing some Rise to Ruins, a sort of Dwarf Fortress inspired game. Its pretty fun but like Dwarf Fort its got a pretty decent learning curve and I'm still trying to figure out what exactly does what.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11352 on: February 14, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHBtcNvSWmQ

Never played the original but I heard its one of the best in the series.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11353 on: February 21, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
I've been following Total War: Three Kingdoms lately as I found out that they will have 2 different modes.

The campaign mode will be more like the Warhammer TW games with heroes and lords being a game changing unit themselves with added duels on the battle field as well as buff and stuff.  This is more akin to the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Records mode will take a more traditional approach to the campaign like Shogun 2 or Rome 2, and will try to be a bit more historically accurate.

I am favoring the records mode but I am sure picking a hero and going on an adventure would be pretty fun too.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11354 on: February 22, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »
I've been keeping an eye on Three Kingdoms as well. What I've seen so far looks promising, but there were also issues that TW content creators hightlighted when they were able to play the beta a couple weeks ago. On the other hand, release has been postponed by 2 months or so? So I appreciate that CA is willing to take the time to iron out kinks instead of making a Rome 2 style mistake again, which was a complete fiasco at release. I hope it'll be good! If it's not - I'll just stay on Warhammer 2 for a while longer.  :-D Which will get another expansion soon.

Also, I've finally bought Stellaris in an attempt to scratch the old 4X itch.

And so far, I'm having a blast with it!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11355 on: February 22, 2019, 06:34:22 PM »
I sunk untold hours in Romance of the Three Kingdoms II on the SNES (basically a graphically upgraded version of the PC one), that's how I learned about that time period. I'm quite interested in this TW because of it.

Stellaris has over a 1000 hours on Steam from me atm.  :icon_mrgreen:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11356 on: February 26, 2019, 08:28:38 PM »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11357 on: March 03, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »
Fuck me, Stellaris is good.

I started a couple times - my current run I just went through the portraits and saw a very Cardassian looking guy. All right then! Militaristic, materialist, authoritarian sounds about right for their ethics. Species attributes were not as obvious to me, so I went with traditional, adaptive and decadent. I love being able to make a species and roleplay them.
We found some indigenous subterranean civilization on one of our new colony worlds? Exterminate those hobos. That's our real estate! Compromise my ass. Some primitive, renaissance level civilization discovered on a habitable planet? Yeah, we could not interfere and build an observation post or whatever it is the Confederation does in those cases. But we haven't got no prime directive around here baby. Drop the army in and welcome the newest members of our mining workforce into the Cardassian Union! I'll set species rights to chattel slavery real quick, OK? If you prove yourself I may upgrade you to battle thralls at some point! Once you get over the culture shock and all that of course. You'll be fine.

This game certainly cost me some sleep over the last week. So... hard... to... stop...

"I'll just wait for that research to finish and upgrade my destroyers, then I'll go to bed. Ohhh, better torpedoes is the next option? It's only a couple months, so I'll wait until that is finished, and THEN stop."

Repeat until oh shit, I REALLY need to go to sleep.

Loving it!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:35:50 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11358 on: March 05, 2019, 02:47:07 AM »
That whole “I’ll wait for the next upgrade” thing certainly is addictive!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11359 on: March 09, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
I also find that Leviathans, WEIRD events (hello, Horizon Signal!) and mid- and endgame crisis add a lot of spice when you compare it to most grand strategy games.

That game as the Cardassians? Yeah, it all went great until The Contingency struck against the galaxy and I got my ass handed to me.
Note to self: be prepared for something like that, not just for the regular players on the map... I didn't lack a ton, but losing a couple battleships every engagement and eventually not being able to immediately rebuild them because of an economy that wasn't quite monstrous enough snowballs pretty quick.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11360 on: March 09, 2019, 10:15:44 PM »
I had a game where I played as a devouring swarm in a spiral galaxy. I was at the tip of the spiral and was exploring when I encountered the space dragon. Had it's lair in the one exit system out of my cluster (maybe 12 stars total). I wondered about restarting but decided to go the other way. Started teching like mad (hey, I had a class one guardian protecting me, no need for a fleet or anything) until I got cruiser tech, build a fleet and killed the dragon and entered a universe with lots of expanded empires, 2 or 3 jumps in any direction were other empires. Gave no fucks and started munching.  :icon_mrgreen:

I've had the Horizon Signal questline as well, all hail the worm in waiting!

And endgame crises can really hurt. Also don't underestimate 2 fallen empires awakening and deciding to start duking it out once and for all, with all regular civilizations either for or against them. I once got myself violently subjugated by an awakened spiritual empire that was going to convert allies, by the sword if necessary. I thought I was quite powerful but they bitch slapped me good.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #11361 on: March 11, 2019, 04:30:57 PM »
Just bought vermintide 2, enjoying it so far

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11362 on: March 14, 2019, 07:44:09 PM »
Didn't get an answer on TW:Atilla, but Steam must have heard my question as it is now 75% off and is $11. Its tempting.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11363 on: March 15, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
From what I've heard about Attila, most people playing it quite like it. It supposedly has pretty good sieges and some neat new mechanics.

I don't think you can go very wrong for 11 dollars.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11364 on: March 15, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
Cool. Grabbed it. Also grabbed most of the UE4 dlcs too since they were on sale too.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11365 on: March 15, 2019, 05:58:29 PM »
I've grabbed most of the Stellaris DLC by now, which adds a ton of good stuff to the game.
Friday evening with nothing scheduled? Time to give my first game as a Megacorp a try!

We will better the galaxy with our prodcucts, pleasing our shareholders with healthy growth while steadily improving our internal processes, striving for ever greater agility and consumer focus. Please hold the line, our customer support fleet is inbound to your system right now!
 :-D

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11367 on: April 13, 2019, 06:54:15 PM »
Decided to dust off Wasteland 2 and play through it again - I hadn't toched it since my initial playthrough after release.

It's still really fun. Yeah, I know. I'm a sucker for old school isometric party RPGs, but it's actually good, especially the directors cut. I didn't remember many dialogues being spoken in the initial release version, in this version, most of the important ones are. Apparently there was apparently also a lot of rebalancing and other minor adjustments. And since the directors cut is a free upgrade... yeah.

Also: Wasteland 3 is due at the end of this year. Set in Colorado in winter. That should be cool!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11368 on: April 14, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
I've been unable to finish the railroad people quest properly because I talked to people out of order. Also the Director's Cut btw. Rather disappointed that they didn't catch this bug, it's 3 important people really, there aren't many combinations of the order that people can end up talking to them.

Yesterday I finished Assassin's Creed Origin's, with a platinum trophy to boot. Loved the setting. Most of the rest was typical AC fair, good comfort food. :biggriin:

PhillyT

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11369 on: April 14, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
I've been unable to finish the railroad people quest properly because I talked to people out of order. Also the Director's Cut btw. Rather disappointed that they didn't catch this bug, it's 3 important people really, there aren't many combinations of the order that people can end up talking to them.

Bugs like that suck. I didn't encounter any notable ones so far, knock on wood!

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11370 on: May 12, 2019, 02:19:18 PM »
I've been on a hockey kick (went to 2 caps games, watched Mighty Ducks 1 and 2 on HBO, rewatched grumps play the NES classic Ice Hockey) so I decided to boot up my Switch and log into the NES classic arcade and play Ice Hockey for the first time. My wife (loves hockey) decided she wanted to play too. Neither of us knew the buttons very well but played a game. US (Her) vs USSR (Me). I ended up with 12 points to her 4...she got very angry and didn't want to play a new match now that we've learned the buttons. I got lucky as most of the goals I scored were in the beginning of the game as we were learning how to play. By the end of it we both got the hang of it but instead of replaying with her new knowledge of the game she rage quit. Hopefully I can convince her to play again.

After that she decided to just play on her phone and I decided to play a game I haven't played since I was 5. Tecmo Bowl! My wife had never seen me so aggro as I played Denver as Chicago. I was hooping and hollering but lost 31 to 41.  My wife kept telling me to calm down since our daughter was asleep. Was a fun nostalgia trip but I couldn't figure out all the buttons by the end of the game. I used to be really good as a kid. She never saw me so competitive before watching me play Tecmo Bowl and to her it was just weird considering how goofy I play most games.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11371 on: May 12, 2019, 04:41:33 PM »
That game rage reminds me of Call of Duty Modern Warfare I think it was. I had all good weapons in all gear and I vividly remember my son tell me to take a pill and walk away. He should have been the rage machine but he has always been able to stop and walk away from whatever game he was playing. Still can do this but  I’ve given up all pc gaming and have a couple game apps on the phone.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11372 on: May 13, 2019, 07:50:01 PM »
Is anyone else here just not impressed by Imperator?
― Jake the Dog

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11373 on: May 14, 2019, 09:08:56 PM »
Is anyone else here just not impressed by Imperator?

I watched all kinds of vids on it up to its release and it just didn't capture my imagination.

PhillyT

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11374 on: May 18, 2019, 03:28:07 AM »
Has anyone played Mechanicus yet and can report on if its worth getting? It looks like WH40K XCom with Mechanicus vs Necrons.
― Jake the Dog