home

Author Topic: Getting back into it...  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
Getting back into it...
« on: October 22, 2023, 05:45:05 PM »
So yeah, I've been out of the hobby for... I don't know, but too long and now all my paints and glue etc. are long dried out. I am looking to get some new stuff, but I've moved to a place where I don't have a brick and mortar store located anywhere closer than a two hour drive, and it isn't very good or helpful.
So what are people using for paints and glue these days? I used to use the GW Citadel paints and Hot Stuff for glue, but I see GW has changed their paint line and I'm intimidated by it. I'm open to other product lines from other companies, especially if they are less dollar intensive. A good bundle deal would also catch my attention.
I'm in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada so I'm going to have to order everything online no matter what, so hit me with your best recommendations!
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Getting back into it...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 09:54:24 PM »
Welcome, good Captain! I knew thee, Tineal: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 12:59:37 AM »
I often use a couple of coats of craft paint. Needs to be watered down a little bit, but ends up working fine for me. Cheaper to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 07:42:22 PM »
I like army painter but i'm messing around with greens stuff worlds' dipping inks atm. I also like standard artists' ink over white

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 04:49:29 AM »
I like the GW contrast paints, I've always been a lazy painter and they do a lot of the work for me.

Otherwise Army Painter seems reliable and available through Amazon in most markets.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 02:03:51 PM »
I have a multitude of paint sets. 

Nearly the entire citadel paint set.  A Vallejo paint set that was gifted to me by many members here (thanks so much!) Vallejo airbrush paint set,  the entire pro acryl line of paints and a set of scale75.  Your money goes longer avoiding citadel but if you want clonaras paints, they are top quality.  Vallejos speed paints are a close second, a few of them rival gw here and there.  Scale 75 has the best consistency and coverage, pro acryl comes in larger bottles is very consistent and thin, most of it can be used direct out of the bottle. 

Army painter is a good value line but many of my hobby friends have switched away from them. I’m sure if I had a set of Army painter paint, I’d put it to good use.  Check your old paints too, you would be surprised what survives time. Somebody my paints are over 20 years old and still good.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 12:30:19 AM »
  Check your old paints too, you would be surprised what survives time. Somebody my paints are over 20 years old and still good.

I did, and some of them survived, and my inks are still good, but for the most part I need to start over.

I think I'll give Army Painter a try, they seem to have a good value starter box available without looking too scary. I'll wait for black friday or cyber monday or whatever to see if something comes on sale then.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 09:38:27 AM »
I think I'll give Army Painter a try, they seem to have a good value starter box available without looking too scary. I'll wait for black friday or cyber monday or whatever to see if something comes on sale then.

Army Painter is OK. Not phenomenal, not like Citadel, Vallejo, P3 or the newer paint lines, but OK. Some of their paints have a gel like feeling. But they work fine after you get over that. Their starter sets are good value.

Army Painter primer sprays seem to have more problems than other brands, but such problems are still rare. Perhaps one in a thousand. Keep the receipt.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 03:43:43 PM »
Army Painter primer sprays seem to have more problems than other brands, but such problems are still rare. Perhaps one in a thousand. Keep the receipt.
Thanks, that is all good info, I mostly am interested in getting a good starter set without going bankrupt, then I can try new stuff. I have tried other brands of primers and never had good results, for that I will stick with Citadel.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 10:48:51 PM »
Loads of youtube painters seem to recommend Halford grey primer