home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 65933 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
Hi everyone, new to the site. I literally stumbled on it for the first time today searching for Warhammer terrain and was led to the thread of people showing off their work and was blown away.

So this is going to be a long post but I thought I would share what I am doing and where I am at, because while I have been aware of WFB for a long time (long 40k fan), I never got into it and only started buying stuff for it when GW killed Warhammer and moved on to Sigmar. I actually have lost interest in 40k too. I am just not thrilled with what direction GW is taking these days, so I guess I am reaching back into the past and are amazed at what I missed.

I started by picking up mint copies of the 6th Edition, 7th Edition Battle for Skull Pass, and 8th Edition Island of Blood starter sets. I really didn't know any difference between the versions of the rules, and I am a sucker for starter sets, so I hunted those down and thought I would mess around with them until I figured out which I liked. I don't have many friends who play these games, let alone collect, so typically if I can get one to play I have to provide everything. So I would base what I would collect around the starter armies from these sets.

Well, it didn't take me long before I was blown away by 6th Edition, and how comprehensive the rulebook was (with Skirmish, Siege, etc). I had a variety of ways to play with the same miniatures! I also picked up Mordhiem (which I had previously but never did anything with and foolishly got rid of), and fell in love with the era even more. With the Best of Town Cyrer, I now had rules for warbands for all the armies from Warhammer Fantasy, so even more to explore. I picked up the General's Compendium as well and an annual or two. Its obvious there was a lot of love for 6th Edition at the time just for the sheer amount of stuff GW released for it. The editions after do not look like they got the same love and attention as 6th did. Maybe nicer models though.

But what really did it for me with 6th is Ravening Hordes. I didn't even know it existed until after I got all the starter sets, and when I found I had rules for just about every mini I now had, it kind of sealed things for me. I really didn't want to hunt down all of the army books (especially for each edition), or worry about power creep, and most importantly, complicated rules for the few times I play a game with a friend and I keep having to go back and refer to special rules. So this also means, if it isn't in Ravening Hordes, I don't buy it or plan on playing it. (with once exception below)

So sticking with the starter armies in those sets, and adding a wizard, extra character or unit here an there, I had six armies with each about 700 points. I was told by some veterans those armies were simply too small for WFB, but I explained that I wanted variety and to expand on the number of armies rather than put all my money into a few armies. I wasn't thrilled about painting up 20 Empire Spearmen if I could just do 10. I could give 10 my best but 20 would involve me cutting corners. But I also started looking at the old Battalion sets on Ebay and before long I was buying them, adding a unit here and there with some heros, and the next thing I knew I had about 1000 points from them, so I went back and bumped my original 700 point armies to 1000 as well.

So all last year and the beginning of this year I managed to accumulate:

Empire (from 6th Starter) plus some extras like Knights, Wizard, Swordsmen.
Orcs (from 6th Starter) plus some extras like Black Orcs and Shaman.
Dwarfs (from 7th Starter) plus Longbeards and Ironbreakers.
Goblins (from 7th Starter) plus a couple of Bolt Throwers. Still need some more to buy here I know. Might just pull from my starter Orcs.
High Elves (from 7th Starter) plus Spearmen and Repeater Bolt Thrower.
Skaven (from 7th Starter) plus Stormvermin and I might get a couple more units as I love the Skaven. Maybe a Doomwheel.

But then, I got:

Lizardmen Battalion - I had no idea how nice these models were going to be and I fell in love with the set the minute I opened the box. I added a Saurus Hero and Skink Shaman. I love the Slann model even tho I can't play them with armies this small, but I will probably end up getting him some day. But the Battalion had just about everything I needed for a 1000 point army.

Wood Elf Battalion - I got this set honestly because it was cheap, but reading more into them I fell in love with them. I am a big nature guy, and I love the Dryads and so forth, and I can't wait to really built these guys. They are not a conventional army I am used to playing so its nice to have them. Added a Commander, Mage, and using a box of Eternal guys as Glade Guard since RH doesn't have rules for them.

Chaos Warrior Battalion - This was a must and I got it for a good price. Added some bits to make a Champion out of one of the warriors, then a sorcerer and a Chaos Chariot. Really like this set. Oozes bad-ass.

Daemon Host - I got this, not sure what to do with it. Daemons are expensive in RH and I actually can't even field everything that comes in the box in a 1000 point game. Will come back to this some day.

Bretonnian Battalion - Yes, I got this, yes I paid big money for it. And to be honest, I wasn't even that big on the Bretonnians. I felt I already had a human army with the Empire, and I thought they were too historical looking for fantasy. But once I got the models I fell in love with them. Picked up some old mounted Squires and and a wizard to round out the army. Love this set.

Beastmen Battalion - I got these because like the Wood Elves they were fairly cheap, but I wasn't prepared for how much I would like them. I really, really like these guys. I think they are more Chaos-y than the Chaos Warriors themselves. I picked up not only a Beastman Hero and Shaman, but also a box of plastic Minotaurs which are awesome. Round out this army using the Chaos Hounds that came with the Warriors set to make 1000 points. At least for now. I thought about hunting down some Harpies. Let me know what you guys think.

Dark Elf Battalion - Like many of the other sets, I was surprised how much I would love these guys. Online pics just don't show off the detail these models have, since they are painted so dark. I picked up a Sorcerer and that was pretty much all I needed, but I also sprung for a Repeater Bolt Thrower too I will swap out a unit for at times. I like the Dark Elves so much I want to expand on them just for the sake of having, like the Dark Riders and Black Dragon, even if I will never play a game big enough to use it.

Vampire Count Battalion - I have the set with the red armor Vampire on the cover, and I love that pic. The set though comes up light. I do not have rules for the Corpse Cart in RH so I am going to try and convert it into a Black Coach. But I don't need it because I also picked up the Grave Guard, Bat Swarm, and more importantly plastic Dire Wolves which seem hard to find. Oh, and of course a Vampire and Necromancer too. Its not my favorite set but what is Warhammer without Vampires?

Tomb King Battalion - I will be honest here, I do not like any kind of historical references in Warhammer so I felt the Tomb Kings were just too Egyptian to me, but once I got the set, I was impressed with the models. The set comes with 40 Skeletons so I divided them up to make 20 warriors, 10 bowmen, and the last 10 to be converted into Tomb Guard. All I had to do to complete this set was add a Liche Priest and Tomb Lord, which I did.

And finally, The Ogre Kingdom Battalion - I know they are not in RH, but I am making an exception here using their 6th edition army book because I love these guys. The Battalion set didn't come with any Gobnars like the older set did, which is fine as they made up for it with more Ogres. I hunted down two sets of Gobnar regiments only to discover I only had enough points left to field one. But that is okay, because I want the extra Gobnars to be available down the road for when I get down to collecting a Chaos Dwarf army, since they ARE in Ravening Hordes, where I will refer to them as hobgoblins. Oh, I did get a Ogre Bruiser for a general.

I also picked up several sets of the modular movement trays and the Fortified Manor set. Also picked up 3 sets of Citadel Wood, and a nice stone looking bridge I think comes from the Bolt Action (?) game. I got it used so not sure. Hope to find more stuff to spice up my table.

So yes, that's where I stand now. I am sure many of you doubt this story but it true. I have been at it for about a year and was pretty obsessive getting to this point. But I am finally here and can take my time. I have started assembling what came in the starter sets and will move on to the others as I finish. I expect it all to take some dozen years at the rate I move lol.

Anyway, the reason for posting all this is that I wanted to say how I am really envious of you guys who have been involved with this game over the years and think you are really lucky to have gotten to play it while it was in its peak. I hate Sigmar, but at the same time can understand why GW went the direction they did. But it isn't fantasy as I am used to, and it's too over the top. WFB 6th, with its grit, is a lot like Games of Thrones with villages to be defended and monsters to kill. I am really having a blast exploring all this, even though I am really late to the party.

Will share my army lists in the future to knock for being too small!

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:41:07 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:11:32 PM »
Welcome to this wonderful hobby, and welcome to W-E! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 09:18:02 AM »
Ah, obsession!

Been there myself - and I guess I'm still there - so very easy to believe this story.  :-)

You're certainly in good company here.  :icon_lol:

Please show your progress!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:32:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Your a fine addition to the hobby and the board. I'm very interested to see how your stuff comes along. Never despair either. There's more people then you think out there still playing the old stuff.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 05:20:56 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I was assembling all sorts of random stuff, but I have decided to focus by starting with the armies I got first, so starting with finishing my Empire army and working my way to the most recent. Orcs will be next.

My Empire army list (based on Ravening Hordes):

Captain (as my General) - 50
 + Sword of Might - 20
 + Light Armor - 2
 + Pistol - 7
 + Shield - 2
 + Warhorse - 10
 + Barding - 4
 + Talisman of Protection - 15

Captain - 50
 + Sword of Swift Slaying - 25
 + Light Armor - 2
 + Pistol - 7
 + Shield - 2
 + Warhorse - 10
 + Barding - 4

Battle Wizard - 60
 + Ring of Volans - 30
 + Power Stone - 20
 + Warhorse - 10

Knightly Order (5) - 120
 + Champion - 15
 + Standard - 15
 + Musician - 15

Spearmen (10) - 70
 + Champion - 10
 + Standard - 10
 + Musician - 10

Handgunners (10) - 80
 + Champion - 10
 + Standard - 10
 + Musician - 10

Swordmen(10) - 70
 + Champion - 10
 + Standard - 10
 + Musician - 10

Great Cannon - 100

Mortar - 80

So total is about 985 at the moment so have some points I can play with. I probably should have more troops, but I am using blocks of 10 for human and Orc sized figures and 20 for the smaller like Goblins and Skaven.  Essentially using the 7th and 8th starter sets as guides. Not trying to build a power army, just get the most out of the figures I have. I ended up getting some duplicates in some lot auctions so that is why I have a second captain and a mortar for example. Might as well use them than sink more points into more troops.

I have some questions about the Empire:

The patterns on their shields... are they basically representing the regiment? The models all come with different shields with different designs on them. I wasn't sure if these represent a particular city in the Empire or a regiment themselves.

Also, I had the OLDER State Trooper sprues to make my swordsmen, and on the sprues were these two pouch looking things. I couldn't see them being used in any of the official GW studio models, so I am not sure what to do with them. The kinda look like they might be something that goes on the waist to protect the crouch or butt area. I tired to upload a pic from my phone but the image is too big.

Found them online!

They are the last two pieces on the bottom right... any idea what these are for?

Actually while I am at it, what is the thing above them? A canteen?

And, is there any significance with the feathers? Just deco or do they mean something?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:38:54 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »
Yep, they hang off the hip as linked plates of armor.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 05:40:11 PM »
Off the hip? Like on either side?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »

They are the last two pieces on the bottom right... any idea what these are for?

They are called 'tassets' and were to protect the upper thighs.
It was one of the annoying things in that kit that there wasn't enough of them to upgrade all the figures.
The soldiers kit was 6th Edition and you could use them to signify a 'Light Armour' status for your soldier.

It was quite easy though to create a mould and reproduce them in numbers in greenstuff.

You can see that there is a Left and a Right one - they should almost touch at the top near where the buckle on a belt would be, and 'frame' the codpiece.
Google 'tassets' for images

Actually while I am at it, what is the thing above them? A canteen?

Yep - one of the first 'kit extras' that appeared, nowadays you get all sorts of accessories to individualise your men.
This was useful as an extra adornment - I have some on my 40K Imperial Guard as well.

Oh and the feathers are just for adding to some of the heads as you feel necessary - maybe to make your command group look fancier, or just to make some troopers different.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »
Regarding unit sizes, considering 6th edition had ranks of 4, consider units in regards to how many ranks they are including adding characters. Also don’t be misled - humans and orcs are not elite units, and are much closer to goblins and skaven than you would think. i think units of 10 for elves, dwarves, saurus, and chaos warriors are fine. For human soldiers not so much. Aim for a 4x4 block of 16 at a minimum, if not going up to 20. Orcs might be able to stay at the 16 size, but humans should probably go up to 20 as skaven basically have the same statline.

For empire, you would also want to consider using detachments - one of our key strengths, and you will need a unit of 20 to get one or two detachments of 10. Again, this isn’t about making a power list, but just a list that won’t automatically lose against armies with superior killing power.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »
Well, I am trying to keep it simple, cost effective, and trying to avoid going down the rabbit hole with all the army books and special rules. As I mentioned in my OP that I am hosting 99% of the time, so I am trying to fulfill the desire to do the hobby and be able to play some easy, straight forward games. Blocks of 10 and 20 might work for some and not others, I know, but many of the <expansion> sets I am buying come in blocks or those. So rather than trying to dig up extra figures here and there, I am just going to keep them as they come.

The detachment thing I am aware of as well, but that involves using the Empire Army book and and then god knows what else special rules. If I were playing against you guys then sure, I would prob need to overhaul my armies. But in this case I am just trying to field some cool armies with some variety that aren't too complicated to play. Hence Ravening Hordes.

I am making an exception for the Ogre Kingdoms tho. Since they don't appear in RH I am using their book with some minor tweaks. I'll get to those guys in oh... about two years lol.

BTW, speaking of Orcs, here is my plan for them. I need advice at the end.

Big Boss (General) - 65
 + Light Armor - 2
 + Shield - 2
 + Boar - 12
 + Bronze Axe - 50

Shaman - 65
 + Badum Staff - 50

Big Boss - 65
 + Light Armor - 2
 + Ogre Blade - 40

Black Orcs (10) - 120
 + Champion - 10
 + Standard - 10
 + Musician - 10

Boyz (10) - 50
 + Extra Choppa - 20
 + Champion - 10
 + Standard - 10
 + Musician - 10

Boyz (10) - 50
 + Spears - 20
 + Shields - 10
 + Champion - 10
 + Standard - 10
 + Musician - 10

Arrer Boyz (10) - 50
 + Bows - 40
 + Champion - 10
 + Standard - 10
 + Musician - 10

Chariot - 80

Troll - 50

Bolt Thrower - 30

Total comes to about 993.

I know the Troll should be in a unit of at least 3, but I needed to fill in some points and I got him from the 7th Starter set. Figured it wouldnt be a big deal. However, I feel like I have a lot of foot units and was wondering if I should hunt down a box of 5 Boar Boys and fit them in here. I don't know much about them, but just about all of my other armies have some kind of cavalry. I was initially just building armies to match what was in the other starter sets, which came to about 700 points, so I thought just having a single chariot would be fine, but now with 1000 points, it feels like a single chariot wouldn't have much of an impact. Not crazy about building another on of them either.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: At Warlord's suggestion I did pick up a unit of Boar Boyz, so I adjusted my army.

Removed the Troll (-50) and Bolt Thrower (-30).

The second Big Boss (65) now has a Biting Blade (10), Light Armor (2), and Shield (2).

The Orc Boys with Spears no longer have spears (-20).

And added the Boar Boyz (85)
 + Champion - 15
 + Standard - 15
 + Musician - 15

Army is now at 995 points.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:59:09 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 09:39:22 PM »
I understand about the detachment thing. I will check Ravening Hordes. I still think my feedback to keep human troops to size 16-20 is relevant though.

Have you built the goblin army? I guesd it would be interesting to see what point size you can get to with them? The bolt thrower and troll fit them better too themstically and to boost their strength potential otherwise they would also be fighting uphill against most armies.

Boar boys are great in 6th edition from memory. They will add more threat and reduce the need for random bolt thrower and troll...

As a sidenote, I have 5 I was planning to list on ebay at some point, basically a collection of bits using the champion sprue plastic legs and 6th edition boar bodies.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:30:17 AM by Warlord »
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 12:30:58 AM »
I have the Goblin army from the Battle for Skull Pass, but other than buying the Bolt Thrower (which the Orcs we’re borrowing too), I haven’t done much with them. Presently in order to field a 1000 point army I have to borrow some Orcs, which just doesn’t feel right. Not sure what to do about them as I know Goblins are cheap and I don’t want to paint 300 of them.

As far as your Boar Boy bitz, I actually have many of those parts and compared them with the Boar Boyz Set I was watching on eBay, and I felt the variety of the models in the official boar boy set gave me some more character. Like the standard and musician especially. I actually bought the Orc Boyz set that came with options for spears or swords because the back of the box showed a different banner than I already had, only to find the same warboss/standard/drummer sprue that came in the 6th edition starter set.  :icon_mad:  I really want a variety of standards to add character to my units. So that being said your post did convince me to buy the set I was watching so I am now the proud owner of a Boar Boyz unit. This means they will be replacing the troll and bolt thrower and some other items, but I agree with you those do belong with the Goblins. And honestly what’s an Orc warband without Boar Boyz? I should have known better.

Trying to watch costs though!

Thanks for your input!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 01:37:40 AM »
Regarding banners, check out the Ogre banner, and the beastmen Gors banner.
Or use the bull head top and make a paper banner like they used to in 5th edition.
That said, the banner top with the bull head is a great conversion piece for a champion or character as a helmet.

Glad I could convince you of the Boar Boys.

Regarding Goblins, I saw you bought Gnoblars for your Ogres, but had a spare unit - you could consider making snotlings out of them, and also consider some snotling pump wagons. I assume they are in Ravening Hordes?

Consider if you can, adding squigs (are they in Ravening Hordes?) and fanatics to your model collection. Fanatics could even be easy to convert - some of the BfBfP goblins can have their spears chopped off, and if you have any ball and chains (such as in the Chaos Marauder box or the old Darkelf warrior box there is a piece too) you can use those.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 02:15:17 AM »
Yes I had put the Snotling Pump Wagon on my interest list (it is in RH) but it’s a Rare choice and I already have that slot filled with the Spider Riders that came in that Starter set. Not sure how good either is tho, although I am guessing the Spider Riders might be more reliable. But the pump wagon looks like a fun model.

Question: On eBay I am seeing two different sets of WFB counters. One comes in a red tin with paper counters I can’t make sense of (can’t zoom in well enough) and the other has plastic pieces and comes with come kind of tracker. Combat resolution tracker? Both are pretty inexpensive and I was wondering if they were worth getting. I am not playing big battles but if one or the other will help with reminders I am up for getting either. Anyone have these?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:51:45 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:41 AM »
Of course. I pulled out my copy of Ravening Hordes and had a peak today. You already have the spiders so use those.  :engel:

Regarding the counters, I am not sure / can’t remember having seen such a set.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
Regarding the counters, I am not sure / can’t remember having seen such a set.

Was it the one in gold plastic - I think there were measuring and arc devices as well?
Round gold markers?

Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 12:53:34 PM »
Hi, yes the top picture there is one of the ones I was talking about. The other this one:

There look like two different ones were made.

Any idea what that gold compass-looking thing is in the gold set?

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
Also I have a question about Halberds and Shields in 6th edition and Ravening Hordes.

State Troops with Halberds come with hand weapon, Shields, and Halberds. Halberds require two hands in close combat, so they can’t use their shields while using them. So does this assume they can use them while being fired upon with ranged weapons? I assume there also might be cases where a player might pass using the Halberds and use the hand weapon and shield instead if they wanted better protection in a round of combat? Is that allowed?

Tomb Guard are also armed this way and it seems reasonable that this was done to make them flexible troops, but I see many examples of those models with shields whereas the Halberd models I see typically don’t have shields. Not even slung over their backs, which is something I would do.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 06:06:00 AM »
Also I have a question about Halberds and Shields in 6th edition and Ravening Hordes.

State Troops with Halberds come with hand weapon, Shields, and Halberds. Halberds require two hands in close combat, so they can’t use their shields while using them. So does this assume they can use them while being fired upon with ranged weapons?

Yes.

I assume there also might be cases where a player might pass using the Halberds and use the hand weapon and shield instead if they wanted better protection in a round of combat? Is that allowed?

Yes.

Any idea what that gold compass-looking thing is in the gold set?

The one semi-circle with an arrow? I think it is put on the corner of a unit to determine the front/flank/rear arc. Can be used to see if the unit sees an enemy unit, or if an enemy unit can charge the unit flank, etc.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 08:02:26 AM »
I assume there also might be cases where a player might pass using the Halberds and use the hand weapon and shield instead if they wanted better protection in a round of combat? Is that allowed?

As Zygmund sayd that is allowed in 6th edition, but you do need to make that choice at the start of a close combat and stick to it until that close combat has completely ended.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
The one semi-circle with an arrow? I think it is put on the corner of a unit to determine the front/flank/rear arc. Can be used to see if the unit sees an enemy unit, or if an enemy unit can charge the unit flank, etc.

Ahh... yes. I can see that now. Many thanks. I just picked up that gold set that includes that off eBay.

As Zygmund sayd that is allowed in 6th edition, but you do need to make that choice at the start of a close combat and stick to it until that close combat has completely ended.

Ok so if they start out with the Halberds, they have to finish with them.

Seems odd they would be the same point costs as regular swordsmen then, since they have more options. Same with Spearmen.

Also, still have a pending question about designs on shields. Should my whole army be using the same design? Or would these differ between regiment? Or even if I had two units of Swordsmen, would they have the same pattern, or be different?

Like I have some shields that are plain with a choice of symbols to put on them. I have enough different symbols to give each unit their own one. But if they are in the same army, should they all be the same?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:26:43 PM by KTG17 »

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »
In the 6th and 7th edition, Swordsmen were the superior choice.

Historically, an army at the time of the Holy Roman Empire in the 16th century would not be "uniform."  Such an army would mainly consist of Landsknechte for hire and levies from various (semi-)feudal lords. Landsknechte bought their own gear, which was very colourful and indiosyncratic, while units in the service of a lord would be normally equipped by their lord, and thus be a bit more uniform and carry his colours.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 02:55:08 PM »
Wow I never heard of those guys and are enjoying reading up on them. Thanks for the info.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 04:35:39 PM »
If you rummage through The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time, you''ll find some contemporary pictures.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 12:47:19 AM »
Holy crap FvS, that thread is awesome and a ton to digest. Will have to read through it when I have some more time.

In the meantime, inspired by what I have read and seen of the Lanksknechte, I managed to scrounge up enough bits to make a unit of 10 Halberds with Champion, Standard, and Musician (got to love those lot purchases - glad I saved everything I didn’t think I needed). The best part is I have a bunch of heads with caps and lots of extra feathers so I am really going to pimp these guys out like I have seen in some pics. I didn’t really go nuts with my other units so I am excited about doing these guys up.

Wreaths. Knights have them on their shields. My knight spruces came with extras. Are these limited to Knights? If so where else would I put them? Can any of these go on a Spearman or Swordsman Champion or Standard?

Thanks for all the help guys, I am really pumped about my little Empire army.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:04:47 AM by KTG17 »