home

Author Topic: Upgrading armour core units empire 6th  (Read 945 times)

Offline Gandolf

• Members
Upgrading armour core units empire 6th
« on: January 29, 2022, 01:24:56 PM »
Hi everyone

My first post in the forum. Is there any way to upgrade the armour of halberdiers or spearmen in 6th ed? I am currently assembling and painting 20 spearmen and halberdiers, and I've noticed the halberdiers have a heavier looking armour than my spearmen. In the rulebook however, both units only have light armour. Is there anyway to spent points on upgrading my halberdier's armour? I've looked in the army book and the main rule book but can't read anything about it.

Thanks a lot!
Yours sincerely,

A modest scout from Middenheim

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Upgrading armour core units empire 6th
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 01:54:08 PM »
If I recall, they could be given shields which upgraded armor.

Moving this thread to the Electors Forum ...

... and welcome to W-E! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gandolf

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 02:08:31 PM »
This is true.
However, I think it is a little weird especially considering the old plastic monopose halberdiers who, in my opinion, carried pretty massive armour.
I have several other questions but I guess I should my new threads per question.  :blush:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 03:42:40 PM »
Cannot use the shield armour bonus however if fighting with a halberd as it's a two handed weapon. I think. But helps against missiles when advancing.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 04:18:02 PM »
Up to the 6th ed, heavy armour was virtually heavy hauberk or full plate, as there was no category for full plate (but Mithril and Chaos Armour). All lesser armour was just light armour, however heavy or minimal it was.

With the 6th ed, Empire got full plate for the new Greatswords, and this opened the can of worms about what the armour options for less armoured troop types were.

No, there never was an official way to upgrade State Troop armour. Light Armour is Empire standard. Even the 7th ed State Troops have visibly variable armour, one pose has no visible armour and another pose has rather heavy and ornate armour. And then the plastic Greatswords have armour that doesn't look like full plate, but rather more like heavy armour. So the look of the figurines and rules for armour do not go hand in hand.

But as long as you play with your friends, you can always agree on an armour upgrade. Heavy armour upgrade could cost +1pt for cheaper troops and +2pt for more expensive troops.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 06:40:47 PM »
See, this is why several of my campaign players use Rufus Sparkfire's Tilean army lists to create lists that really WYSIWYG to the max their models and regiments.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gandolf

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 10:26:58 PM »
Thanks a lot for your inputs and clarifications.

I think I'll go with the homebrew armour upgrades - I'm not a fan of playing with stats that doesn't correlate with how the models look. 6/6 stars response :)

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 01:10:39 PM »
Thanks a lot for your inputs and clarifications.

I think I'll go with the homebrew armour upgrades - I'm not a fan of playing with stats that doesn't correlate with how the models look. 6/6 stars response :)

If you can track down a copy of say the Warhammer Ancient rules for historical wargaming, there is a much more extensive system for better representative armor (Light, Heavy, Partial Plate, and Full Plate if I recall off the top of my head). It always perplexed me that though GW clearly did take elements from WAB for the 6th edition that little of this again crossed over as editions of main line FB advanced.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 01:34:36 PM »
Halberdiers generally suck in 6th for staying power. But they are nice and fluffy to take. I usually bring a unit to a game, just out of spite mainly, and I play bigger than 3k point games if I am going to set up a table, might as well be a real game.