home

Author Topic: Right then guys- you all think you're so smart!  (Read 4055 times)

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
Right then guys- you all think you're so smart!
« on: June 13, 2003, 04:49:47 PM »
lol. the title was a joke to reel you into answering my topic. I think we got a nice little advanced Empire community going here so i will ask you guys for some some tips and your own armies. right well down my local gaming store the owner is organising a tornement/ campaign type event and the setup is the typical good vs evil scenario. basically there will be 6 good and evil players but it is only 1000 points. there will be other uch events but at higher points values also.

basically i want some advice on an army- any suggestions guys? i have a basic idea - which i have tried and undefeated with it. but i feel many chaos and undead players have a few tricks up their sleaves
Citizen Erased

Offline Albrecht von Hinkel

• Members
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 04:59:30 PM »
Drop the artillery, drop the cavalry! SEND IN THEM TROOP HORDES!!!

Offline intrepidjohnny

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 06:08:54 PM »
drop the artillery........!? heresy.....

Offline IH8Skaven

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 06:19:28 PM »
In 1000 point games, the hordes rule.  Maybe keep a mortar, but toss the rest into troops.  Take as many as you can fit.  You should be able to tear up the DE's.  The gobbos and skaven may still give you fits.  If the Chaos player is smart and goes only hounds and maruaders he might give you some problems too.  But how many chaos players are smart enough to leave their warriors and knights at home, not make something chosen, or dispense of their fancy marks?

Stength in numbers.  Store the big guns for the bigger games that will come later.

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 07:10:12 PM »
cool, i find that a hellblaster is really good in a thousand points as nobody wants to get their precious units anywhere near it. The same goes for the cavalry, the fear they instill in small games is worthwhile. i do have the figures to overwhelm the chaos and i know that the chaos players like their warriors but still like the mauruders too (espeically the horsemen). could anyone draw up a decent list for me?
Citizen Erased

Offline Unsung Zero

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 09:04:05 PM »
1k pts

24 swordsmen
8 fc

23 swordsmen
9 fc

warrior priest mount bardin hvy armor grt weapon 117
5 knights IC warbanner-195

5 pistoliers marksmen repeater-112
5 pistoliers marksmen repeater-112

1000 pts exactly i think.
Its like my grandmother always used to say, why buy the whole cow, when you can get the sex for free!

Offline Albrecht von Hinkel

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 03:49:01 PM »
I like that list.. I forgot to add : Use those pistoliers

They're great (BANG BANG BANG BANG)

A unit of 5 without marksman can unleash 15 attacks (incl. horses)

Offline Feanor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 02:20:38 AM »
I would play with a Warrior Priest, Cpatain and Wizard lvl.2 in 1000 points.  Give the Wizard lore of Beasts and take the oxen stands.  Take lots of infantry and take a small regiment of cavalry put the Warrior Priest in here, Hatred is so useful it's unbelievable in these battles, with the cavalry I would take most likely pistoliers but knights (not IC) with a standard and first knight are nearly unstoppable in 1K battles as few armies have the firepower or strength to mow these guys down.  Stay away from Warmachines and invest in some form of shooting either Handgunners (without cavalry) or archers/huntsmen with cavalry.  You should get a playable reasonable sized army if you stick with this.
If I were witty, this would be my chance to shine.  But not everyone can be brilliant

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 12:04:42 AM »
list-1000pts

heroes:
captain w great weapon, armour of meteoric iron, sigil f sigmar-106

lv2 wizard w 2 dispel scrolls-145

core:
19 swordsmen w full command-254
detachment: 8 spearmen

19 halberdiers w full command-251

19 spearmen w full command-267
detachment: 8 handgunners
detachment: 8 handgunners

TOTAL: 1007pts
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Boris Todbringer

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 01:37:27 AM »
Detachments of spearmen? Are you crazy? What's the point if they're always going to be the one charging? Replace the halberdiers with another unit of spearmen or swordsmen (way better) and have halberdiers for detachments, or free companies if you prefer, but never spearmen!
You've got questions? I've got a cannon.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 11:18:02 AM »
big deal...

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2003, 12:46:44 PM »
I must agree on this one, spearmen make lousy detachments. Because the detachment will be getting the countercharge i think it is important that the troops selected for detachment duty should have a good charge capability. Even free company are better than speamen on the chage (double the attacks!!!) and halberds are also good with their ST4. If anything i think the spearmen should be the main unit here, as this the unit that is most likely to be charged and spearmen are the best unit when being charged. So would parent units of spearmen and swordsmen be the best idea? and always have detachments of halberdiers and free company.

Although i have found my uses for handgunners as detachments, last game i played the hangunners killed a chaos aspiring champion on a disc with their stand and shoot rule. well worth it.
Citizen Erased

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 04:24:21 PM »
whoa! that had gotta be a lucky shot... and i guess youre right 'bout the spearmen use halberds instead