home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 301266 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Unconventional mercenaries & a witch)
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2015, 02:57:49 AM »
 :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: wow
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2015, 09:51:50 PM »
the undead are among us, maybe you should have a ghost whisperer  communicating with the spirits,  some could be guardian spirits in a unit as filler/fighter,  like old Griswald put in 30 years of service and never missed a muster the whole time, now he shows up for roll call even though he is dead,    dang it I think I am going to have to use this one for myself.  steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2015, 06:13:23 AM »
Ooh, I like that. I was thinking that as my solo narrative campaign progresses, I may want to do some Empire style troops like this, representing the spread of the sinister influence as the battle moves into home territory. That would be a good way to start.

I have painted up a prototype for some Ogres that have also been turned.

I was just digging around for my WFB 3rd ed. rulebook and I'm really annoyed/upset that I can't seem to find it.

Offline Derg

• Members
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2015, 06:21:24 AM »
Just fantastic love the bone giant :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »
Ooh, I like that. I was thinking that as my solo narrative campaign progresses, I may want to do some Empire style troops like this, representing the spread of the sinister influence as the battle moves into home territory. That would be a good way to start.

I have painted up a prototype for some Ogres that have also been turned.

I was just digging around for my WFB 3rd ed. rulebook and I'm really annoyed/upset that I can't seem to find it.

that's so awesome I just got this guy off of eBay  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Ogre)
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2015, 08:56:49 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I like this edition of the ogres, but the casting on some of mine is a bit rough.

Rulebook update: I found my 3rd ed. book, along with all of the older Empire army books, 1/2 of the 5th ed. rules, plus 6th & 7th, and How to Build Wargames Terrain! But not before I rushed off and put a hasty bid in on a 3rd ed. book on eBay...  :|

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2015, 11:34:10 PM »
I'm glad you painted him, give me some idea's ...my Ogre will be called,  Little Mike  :-P
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2015, 03:07:35 AM »

More old & unfinished projects discovered as I dig through old boxes o' stuff. This was a good find, as my mind has been into the idea of trying my hand at sculpting again lately. These are all pretty old. In fact, I quit using green Kneadatite quite a while ago.

This one was intended to be an unarmored samurai being taken by surprise.  I think this was only the second or third attempt at sculpting from scratch. He's a bit smaller, more like the old 25mm figures than bigger "heroic" scale guys. Never finished the bottom half nor his sword. A lot of things wrong with the sculpting, but it's kind of tempting to finish the rest & paint it up, since it's mostly done anyway.

Next is a set of 5 ratmen, intended to be roughly in scale with the original range of Jes Goodwin sculpts. Obviously I never got very far with them.

And lastly, the third of a set of vulture men I had been working on. The other two are finished, and one was even cast in metal. After the second one was cast, I cut this guys arms off and started working on repositioning them so he would also be suitable for casting. I can't remember my intentions -- if I meant the arms to stay separate or if I was going to permanently attach them -- but as it stands, they be cast separately and be glued on if I finished the hands & other details.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
Oooh, I like the Vulture man. And there are three of them, designed to be cast, you say?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2015, 10:02:11 PM »
Oooh, I like the Vulture man. And there are three of them, designed to be cast, you say?

Well, one was a one-off. The second was cast and had been for sale, but the manufacturer seems to be AWOL. This one was going to be a one-off, but then I started to re-work it to be able to be cast after the previous one was cast -- but I don't think I've got much reason (nor ability) for casting it anymore.

I'm still digging out old figures & going through my collection. I've also started (sloooowly) putting together a Marienbug Gallery on my blog/site. I will do the same with the Undeadish when I get more done. I'm pretty sure most of these mages have been posted here before, but here they are together in a new pic:

...and some familiars, many of which need repainted, rebased, or both!

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Old Mages & Familiars)
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 02:50:51 PM »
going through old boxes and finding old/new stuff is one of my favorite pastimes, and discovering old unfinished projects that can be repurposed is my second most favorite things........... I am now glad that I saved some of this stuff that I had no use for way back when (when I was  an Orc and goblin player) Now I am amazed when I find a box that has not been opened for decades,   steveb

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »
going through old boxes and finding old/new stuff is one of my favorite pastimes, and discovering old unfinished projects that can be repurposed is my second most favorite things........... I am now glad that I saved some of this stuff that I had no use for way back when (when I was  an Orc and goblin player) Now I am amazed when I find a box that has not been opened for decades,   steveb

hahah me to Steveb  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »
Well, some of this has only been in storage for a few years. Other bits have been away for a lot longer.

I should probably see if I can merge my "conceptual" (wordy) thread in the Counts Tavern with this, but I figured it was best to stick with mostly photos or direct discussion of painting/modeling stuff here. I guess that's probably still best. But at any rate, I've had a few more thoughts about going forward with my new altMarienburg army and the idea of putting together a narrative campaign. Specifically, I think I've decided to restructure and (gasp!) possibly expand the altMarienburg army within this context.

Mercenaries: The bulk of the field army. This encompasses most of what I've done so far, all the puff & slash troops, etc.

Urban Militia: Defend the city itself. Decently equipped, but only moderately skilled. These will be represented by the Perry WotR figures, as well as a few left-over Grenadier and Front Rank figures that I still have.

Rural Militia: Militia of the outlying towns & villages. Irregular equipment, but no worse skilled than the Urban Militia. Maybe better, since they are more likely to have to deal with bandits, raiders, etc.? Free Company and similar miniatures, plus halflings.

Allies & "Other" Mercenaries: Everything else. Various elves, giants, and anything else that doesn't fit into the other three groups, and probably doesn't fit within the usual defense structure.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »
Another thought....

One of my complaints about a lot of fantasy settings is the two dimensional nature of most non-human races. That's why I've always liked the idea of having a diverse army of mercenaries -- including wanting to add more orcs. I like the idea of different races still remaining different than humans, but still having an "internal diversity" of their own. So as I've been increasingly been plotting out my own altHammer setting, I've been wanting to push at that idea more.

That said, I'm wondering about the idea of a small number of ogres that have settled down in a pastoral setting. At least in the altMarienburg area of influence. Maybe not so much in other, less accepting, areas. Their size & strength would be valuable on a farm, or in many trades, just as it would be valuable as a bandit or mercenary. With that in mind, maybe I should go full circle and consider ogres in the Rural Militia.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Undeadish WIP)
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2015, 04:30:05 AM »
I've been working on 800 things at once, so I've got some more figures started, but nothing quite finished yet. But a lot of the undeadish are coming together on the painting table...

After I finish this batch, I will do a small group of cavalry to go with them, followed by a boatload of basing. Then I believe I will wrap up some odds & ends.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2015, 02:20:33 AM »
crazy cool sir  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »
I went to a resin toy sculpting & casting class yesterday. This is what I did. The original is on the left (grey) and my three casts are on the more colorful ones. They still haven't been cleaned up yet, but came out pretty nice. I definitely learned some tricks and now that I've had someone walk me through, I'm ready to try a bit of my own! I bought the casting equipment a while ago, but haven't set it up yet. Now I'm even more motivated. For what it's worth, I've got ideas/plans for casting both designer toy stuff and gaming stuff. If I can make some time...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Undeadish WIP & Casting Lesson)
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2015, 06:11:15 PM »
Mostly finished the giant, though I think I may go back and clean up that awful mold line I missed (and one other small one that's not visible) and then touch up the paint. She's a Reaper Bones figure, and the first I've worked on. The figures seem nice, but my two complaints are the mold lines -- which seem more numerous and prominent than on metal or traditional plastic figures -- and the bendy weapons. I did fix the latter, but somehow one end slowly bent itself back out of shape.

I'm including three figures for scale comparison. I had initially thought the Reaper giants were a bit small. They are smaller than many of the competition. But after painting this one, I'm actually thinking I prefer their size & proportions to many of the others. I might have to pick up some others. The sculpts look really good.

Again... basing will be done in a big lot, after I've finished some more figures.

Finished more of the undeadish horde, this is a shot of all of the infantry I've got so far. Twelve 40mmx40mm bases worth. Most with 4 figures, a couple only fit 3. Sorry, not the best pic.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Undeadish Infantry & Giant)
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2015, 08:22:59 PM »
I love the color pallet used here  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Undeadish Infantry & Giant)
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2015, 11:25:12 PM »
Interesting to contrast your giantess with the one that Warhammer-Weib painted

Pretty sure I've got this model too, perhaps we should all paint one and start a gallery of them... I'm thinking that the only cure for the bendy spear is a brass rod along its length, perhaps a tricky bit of work though.

The sensible size of the Reaper Bones giants is because they are all based on metal castings. Also, Reaper's history is all about (A)D&D, where giants were relatively small - I think 1st Ed AD&D giants started at about 10' tall.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Skeletest)
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
I've seen quite a few different paint schemes on the Reaper giants, and that one in particular. All have looked great. I just think the figures are really good. I started thinking about the scale of giants and realized that the Reaper sized giants would be pretty f'ing terrifying to face on a battlefield once I visualized their height in comparison to me. That's why I included the other figures in the photo. She's better than twice the height of a human, muscular, and well armed/armored.  :ph34r:

Got a little distracted and skipped ahead of my own plans/schedule. Tested out a few paint & wash combos on some skeletons.

I'm looking for some armored skeletons to use for elites. Preferably heavily armored.

If there aren't any actual undead to fit what I'm looking for, I've been contemplating a few different historical ranges and then swapping some of the helmets for skulls and "roughing up" some of the other equipment.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2015, 08:23:07 PM »
looks good  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2015, 12:31:15 AM »
Thanks!

Speaking of armored skeletons, I recently won some old plastic skeletons on eBay. I wanted to bump up the numbers I already had. There were a few bonus metal minis in the box, an old mounted skeleton hero/knight, a necromancer with a busted sword, and these five guys.

Pretty cool. Though now I want a full unit of oldschool metal skeletons. (And more variety...)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2015, 05:55:30 AM »
Painting. Deadline. Adepticon. Nosleep.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Sleep deprived painting)
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
Nice looking new skele - love the hood  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?