home

Author Topic: Whips - aren't they great? If you could model them...  (Read 2099 times)

Offline SirUlrich

• Members
Whips - aren't they great? If you could model them...
« on: March 27, 2006, 02:41:38 PM »
Hello to all and everyone...

This is actually a Mordheim related question. I've just started building my Sisters of Sigmar warband and I encountered an unexpected problem.

All of the SoS models available in the UK Online Store and shown in the Empire Collectors Guide are equipped with hammers (well apart from the single Matriarch model). For me even with the revised rules for Steel Whips (replace the "reach" rule of 4" range in CC with "whipcrack") I want to equip my Sisters with Steel Whips.
For one reason or another the idea of steelclad holy women wielding whips and bringing down the wrath of the Man-God is very appealing...  :twisted:

So how do I model the whips? Can you get separate ones somewhere? The Sisters Weapon Sprue does not include any and I'm not buying 11 Matriarchs (for £5 each) just to get the whips.

I suck at using GS. So what to do?

All you modelling/painting experts, please, HELP!

SirU

You brush and pallette guys scare me ;)

Offline wisenheimer

• Members
  • Michigan, USA
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 03:24:35 PM »
I realize you've already said no, but whips with GS are a good place to start. A piece of thin floral wire will help it keep it's shape and it's pretty easy to roll out the shape.

Still, if you really don't want to go that route, there are lots of options in the on line store.

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?WCI=Menu&WCE=Search&Query=whip&System=

I've used the Ork Slaver Whip on the Sisters and found it to be a good match. The other one I like is the Ork Boar Chariot whip. I like its length as it makes for dynamic model, but it's too large to use effectively inside houses and alleys etc.

Offline reiksmarshall

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 05:06:35 PM »
Using floral wire (even a paper clip) with a bit of papier mache (wet tissue paper with watery PVA glue - try not to use bog roll even as a last resort). I used this on my sisters to great effect, Trust me an entire warband (10 models) armed with whips (older rules) is actually quite a weak warband, but darned entertaining to use. Flay the men alive! In the name of Sigmar?
Supreme Commander of the Emperor's glorious armies, Grand Marshall of the Guardians of the Reik and Founder of the Anti-Helbalster Foundation!

Offline Arfa

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:46:24 AM »
If you want a few Orc Chariot whips PM me you're address and I could probably send some to you, I have a few lying about (I have a habbit of converting Orc Boar Chariots into Goblin Wolf Chariots, so the crew tend to be left over).

Arfa da Grate

Offline SirUlrich

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 06:32:00 AM »
Quote from: wisenheimer
Still, if you really don't want to go that route, there are lots of options in the on line store.

Thanks! Stupid me... I just didn't realize you could search the online stores for individual weapons like that. I appreciate the help and showing me the error of my ways  :wink:  That was a lot of help!

Quote from: reiksmarshall
Using floral wire (even a paper clip) with a bit of papier mache (wet tissue paper with watery PVA glue - try not to use bog roll even as a last resort). I used this on my sisters to great effect

Thank you! I could really try that idea... Any pictures anywhere? Because I count my total lack of imagination as being one of my virtues I could really benefit from some pictorial inspiration...  :roll: So pics, please? Anyone?

@Arfa: Thanks a lot to you too, but PM:ing is disabled on this forum. Besides the distance between Australia and Finland is, well, half way around the world (the postage cost probably isn't worth the trouble...)

You brush and pallette guys scare me ;)

Offline wisenheimer

• Members
  • Michigan, USA
Re: Whips - aren't they great? If you could model them...
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 08:16:15 PM »
Please post some pictures when you've completed the warband.

:mrgreen:  <-What's this suppose to mean anyway?

Offline Arfa

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 01:48:04 PM »
@Arfa: Thanks a lot to you too, but PM:ing is disabled on this forum. Besides the distance between Australia and Finland is, well, half way around the world (the postage cost probably isn't worth the trouble...)

Why are PMs disabled?

Anywho, it isnt a big deal at all, I post bitz all around the world with Da-Path and it costs nothing. Ive sent Orc heads to the US, Forrest Goblins to Canada, Imperial Guardsmen to Finland and a smegload of stuff all around England!

They are big though, on the model that is, so its really a desired look. If you want a smaller more wieldy looking weapon then I suggest using the wire or mail-ordering the originals, but if you want the dynamic long whip then just gimme the word!

Arfa da Grate

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 06:19:50 PM »
Good whips to use would be the whips from the "Sisters Repentia" Mistress figure in the 40K catalogue.