home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 66019 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2019, 11:16:39 PM »
I thought that banner was a Holy Grail one.

Nope. Grail Knights (ordinary and classical) have their own command group with standard bearer, but the one I posted is the only official generic BSB model. Of course, many Bretonnian models would lean themselves for conversion into a BSB.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2019, 11:50:58 PM »
Just trying to keep my armies balanced.

Sure, but you only are within limited parameters. Which is what I was trying to convince you about with unit sizes for horde troops vs elites.
All the armies are different. They have their own strengths and weaknesses, and if ever you want to play with them, you want each to feel like its own experience. There need to be some armies that have their BSB mounted. Others (like VC or lizards) where you dont even bother with a BSB. Sure they make the army look great. But they also have to suit the playstyle.

Take 9th age for example. Now personally I hate thier implementation of ‘Army Strengths and Weaknesses’ of ‘ASAW’ however at least it guves the player a view on how the army is supposed to be composed.
Each of the armies you are collecting, you have an approximate vibe you are trying to obtain. But that could differ from others vibes they get from the same army. Empire infantry was a good example from before. Lizardmen with skinks and skirmishers is another. And Brets being about a lot of cavalry is another. You have a feeling for Chaos - the 70/30 ratio. Others have their own view and might think marauders are a waste. Balance is quite broad - its one of the appeals of warhammer I guess.

If you are talking balance, then. Bretonnian infantry is trash. The BSB needs to be mobile to support the cavalry, because thats all that matters in the Bret army. The peasants can die and it doesn’t and shouldn’t matter. Its what they are for.
Just like in a Dwarf army, every unit matters. Or a combined Orc and Goblin army the Goblins are the trash. Balance is about applying the identity of each army, not taking the same unit size or hero choice in each army, because then you actually are just making the armies more similar despite their ASAW. And some armies do those similarities better than others, which ultimately makes it unbalanced.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #252 on: October 28, 2019, 02:04:03 AM »
I see, and you are right about the Battle Standard keeping up with the knights. I’ll get the mounted one then.

Thanks!

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2019, 08:49:33 PM »
So here are my mounted Squires for my Bretonnian army...

I know, nothing you haven't seen before. But I really like these guys and getting them to this point was a pain in the ass. I tried to save money and bought them assembled/painted as I was looking for specific guys, and the squires and horses turned out to be in really crappy shape. I did the best I could, but who knows maybe some day I will try to get 5 new ponies for them. I did replace the banner pole that the standard came with and replaced it with a proper banner from the Knights kit. I just prefer everything to be more uniform. And some of the shields are re-casts I made. I think I only got 3 in that shape and I wanted all of them to be the same, and match what the Knights have.

I know I get a lot of heat for not having enough Knights but I would rather have a variety of units so I got these guys in place of another Knight unit. At least for the small armies I was building.

I have a mage as you can see, and she is one of my favorite WFB models let alone Bretonnian. My plan for the general is to make the same guy on foot, mounted, and on a Pegasus like I did with the Empire General. But I am a long way off from hitting the Bretonnians. I only worked on the Squires because they were in such bad shape.

I am sure I said it before, but I was iffy on the Bretonnians when I first started getting into WFB but the Squires had a big part in me getting interested in them. They and the Man-At-Arms. And once I got the Battalion set was blown away with the Bowmen too. I have learned having all these weak units isn't going to help their cause, as opposed to more Knights, but I really, really like the Bretonnian grunt models. They went from being 'whatever' to one of my favorite armies and that was a real surprise to me.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
Congrats, they look awesome! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #255 on: October 30, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »
Yes they do look awesome. I like the squire fluff as well. Your approach is much like mine was. Taking what I liked as opposed to what guaranteed a game. Suffice it to say, when I won the reaction of my opponent was ‘what did I do wrong?’
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2019, 02:02:31 AM »
Thanks!

Need some advice.  When I got my Wood Elf Battalion, the horses had been assembled and primed black, and weren't even really assembled well. I broke them down as best I could and cleaned them up. After I assembled them I was wondering if I shouldn't have removed the parts where the legs are molded to the tall grass for extra support.

Would you guys remove them? The models sitting on them are plastic too, so I don't think using only two legs to attach to the base is a big deal. And I do not intend to add new grass like that to the base either.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2019, 03:39:56 AM »
The squires, men-at-arms and bowmen are great models no doubt. I don’t blame you for that reason - its a good reason!

I cut those bits off most of my elven steeds. It kinda looks ridiculous when they made them that way...
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2019, 08:14:05 AM »
Nice Brets!

Earlier, I cut the sculpted grass off the horses. These minis have sustained the wear and tear quite well, but it's obvious the horses would be much sturdier with the plastic grass still on. I'm sure the horse legs will eventually snap, and I need to resort to pinning, and possibly greenstuff. So it's a trade-off between sturdiness and good looks.

To a degree, you could hide the plastic grass within tufts of long static grass.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »
Z this was my worry too. I tend to take care of things, but like everyone else I can be clumsy and drop something on a tile floor, etc. I really don't like the grass, but I also don't want to deal with any structural issues either. I guess I could just add a lot of superglue and model glue to the feet that are attached to the base, to reinforce things now...

I'll think it over. I know the models would look better without the grass. I don't know what GW was thinking.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #260 on: November 01, 2019, 03:07:35 PM »
I just picked up the Bretonnian battle standard guy. I got him for a decent price and if I can find another around the same price, I will buy another to have on foot.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #261 on: November 01, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »
Actually I have some questions about Bretonnian standards. The Man-At-Arms/Bowmen command sprues come with some random pole mounts and I am not sure if those are meant to be used in place of a flag for a standard. Like the peliquin-looking head or the box -like thing.

Lower right sprue under the flag and then above the far lower right figure.

What are those exactly. I do like the flags so will probably just use those. Not sure if this show go over the flag on the pole either. But if someone can make a good case to use them, please let me know.

EDIT: Ha. Just noticed in the picture they go above the flag. Well that answers that.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #262 on: November 02, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
Yep. Like the tops of the empire banners with their variable tops. Skulls with swords, skulls with arrows, etc.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #263 on: November 02, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »
Yeah looking into it further I am not sure about using those on the top of the poles. We'll see. I know I should differentiate between my units and those will certainly help, but I like those three leaf symbols better. And I have see them just mounted on standard poles without the flags, so maybe I will to that with the bowmen or something. I don't know. I am not there yet, but just want to be sure I have all the pieces now.

Welcome the newest edition to my Beastmen army:

I. Love. This. Guy.

When I set out to get Battle Standards for everyone, I had no idea what I was going to do with the Beastmen. I didn't have any leftover bodies to make a hero, and didn't want to recycle a unit banner unless I had to. I saw a hero with a back banner and almost considered him, but just before I pulled the trigger I found the guy above, who doesn't seem too common. Maybe it was a limited edition figure? I don't know. I also think what I got was a re-cast but it looks great and I am fine with that. He was also metal which was great as I avoid nearly all finecast.

I also have the multi-part plastic Shaman but will work on him later. I was so blown away by the two above that I had to assemble and prime them as soon as they came in. I really like the Beastmen army. Really had no idea I would be as impressed with them as it turned out, and I am REALLY glad I picked up that chariot over the summer. And the plastic multi-part Minotaurs before that.

The Beastmen are right up there with the Wood Elves and Bretonnians as far as armies I thought were blah from a distance but once I started getting the kits they were right up to the top of some of my favorites. Other armies, like the Dark Elves or Chaos, you expect to be cool even though you might be surprised by the detail. With the Beastmen my jaw was on the floor. They just ooze a disturbing evil that the other Chaos armies don't have, even if they are more traditional looking chaos.

Also, I had planned to finish off all the armies in my starter sets first before moving on to the battalion sets, but after completely revamping my Empire army, which exhausted me the first time around, I might actually hold off from doing the empire for now. I do think the new kits I got are vastly superior to the older ones I was working on, but after all that work on the older ones, I am kind of burned out on Empire at the moment. I am also not 100% sure on what parts from the old I am going to use in the new, so I have some figuring out to do. I hope to do something with the older figs I did, even though I don't like many of them anymore. If I could go back and wipe out the first 5-6 pages of this thread when I was posting pics of them and replace them with the new models I could. You have basically watched me waste some time. I really tried to do things on a strict budget but I blew right out of that like everyone said I would.

So I am thinking of focusing on the hero models for everyone now. Well, the ones I haven't already built. I am going to try to make the armies centered around the hero models, which means a Hero General (in most cases mounted and unmounted), Hero Battle Standard, and Wizard (or Runesmith in the case for the Dwarves). In some cases I do have extra heros and they are just for character. But I guess I am making the armies more about who is leading them, versus the masses of troops they are leading. Maybe I will name some of these jokers.

So once I sort out what I am doing for everyone hero-wise, I will post pics as I finish them (I am doing some custom work for Chaos, Dark Elves, and Wood Elves which will take some time), and hopefully they inspire me to add units around them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:15:20 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #264 on: November 02, 2019, 07:13:08 PM »
I've wanted to have a beastman army.  You're inspiring me further. :icon_cool: :::cheers::: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
Really like that beastman banner bearer. Wish I had him for my AoS beastmen/skaven chaos conglomeration.
The other unit I love is the Shagoth.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2019, 01:19:21 AM »
Shaggoth is beautiful.

Also, KTG, nothing wrong with your approach, and changing it. Its not a race. :happy:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #267 on: November 03, 2019, 11:09:32 PM »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2019, 11:23:31 PM »
Oh that's interesting. :icon_lol:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2019, 11:23:44 PM »
😺👆
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2019, 01:25:35 AM »
So my Empire General was really bugging me and I had to do something. The legs on the guy are pretty static, and look fine from the front, but my guy was looking off to the side, and his feet both facing 45 degrees to the left looked dumb. So I carefully cut off his right foot and re-attached it at an angle. Came out pretty good.

Much better. Subtle, but it looks more natural. I would have gone further, but where the foot goes the knee kind of follows so I didn't want to over do it. Now I am really excited about the guy.

Also, I have had some problems with Standard Bearers falling over. I struggled to find some kind of weight to put under the stand and considered everything from magnets to sinkers, but at Home Depot today decided on washers. They come in all sizes and I got perfect fits for the 20mm base and the 25mm bases. Spray painted black and they will hardly be noticed.

I say hardly noticed because despite what is going on top of the base, what is under it bothers me too.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2019, 02:09:45 AM »
Excellent! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2019, 08:45:37 AM »
Good work on that General. Subtle change but matters a lot. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2019, 03:40:53 AM »
Guys, need advice.

Working on my Orc Battle Standard. Nothing fancy, just the kit.

However the head I was going to use has really big horns, and I was thinking of giving him the facemask. But I was wondering, would the large horns on the standard bearer look out of place if the main Orc Boss has smaller ones? I was thinking the bigger and badder the orc, the bigger his horns or stuff would be, like a sign of status. The problem is if I did a head switch, I would also would have to swap out the Big Boss's arm since the horns would be in the way. And I have to be honest, I am a big fan of the older Big Boss. Should I look for a different head? I do have extras. None as impressive as the one I am using though.

What would you do?

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2019, 02:41:25 PM »
I WANT SOME ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!