home

Author Topic: New Terrain! - An Electors Palace!  (Read 4798 times)

Offline phil1103

• Members
New Terrain! - An Electors Palace!
« on: February 17, 2006, 01:37:15 PM »
Hi all,

My gaming club has decided that as part of there latest WFB campaign that one of the battles will include an assault on an empire fortress (Me :lol: )

They want it to look like a stately home, so it will reside the Elector.

How do i go about designing this? I want it to look good, as it represents my Elector, but it needs to look stately, with enough space for me to defend the outside.

I was planning on having small ramparts on the top, for my Handgunners and maybe a gatehouse, but no fortress walls are allowed, or we would have used the siege castle.

Any ideas on how to design it?

Phil1103
Who's General Failure, and what's he doing on my Hard Drive?

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 02:10:28 PM »
So they want you to build a Fortress for an EC but without any fortress walls? :?

Ramparts and a gatehouse but no fortress walls to go between them? What is supposed to go between them then?

Actually I cannot imagine any EC living in something that isn't an actual castle/fortress. This is the Warhammer world that we are talking about, with enemy armies just a hill or forest away!

Things like palaces (which really had no defensible application) or stately homes that resemble a castle but could not function as such because of the state of technology came about much later.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Elieress

• Members
  • Slaanesh.. Just a painting project... I promise...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:22:01 PM »
You should perhaps consider a summer residence or some such.. A regular castle would most certainly be defensible, whereas a mansion on a hill somewhere that was generally considered safe could quite possibly "only" be surrounded by low walls with numerable gates and such...

And these walls could also be rather fra from the mansion.. and even broken or burned...

Imagine part of a mansion in one corner of your deployment zone.. Positioned on a hill... Standing in a park that bears the marks of a previous battle...

Make a few pieces of broken wall, burned bushes and noblemen / womens corpses scattered arround the mansion where the brave imperial forces make a last stand to save their count and his family...

Consider the fluff possibilities.. and arguments...

Why would an elector count ever consider fighting near his mansion/palace/castle?? Only as a last resort...
Why are there enemies so close??  Because his defences has been broken and only a handfull of loyal men remain to protect the lands...

All you need would be part of a mansion, broken pieces of wall (placed fairly on the battlefield so noone gains too big a benefit from them) and assorted things to make part of the battlefield resemble a palace garten after a major battle.   :)
Elieress... Just an old RPG name that got stuck to most of my online profiles...

CPH denmark

Offline phil1103

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 02:34:11 PM »
Quote from: Elieress

Make a few pieces of broken wall, burned bushes and noblemen / womens corpses scattered arround the mansion where the brave imperial forces make a last stand to save their count and his family...

Consider the fluff possibilities.. and arguments...

Why would an elector count ever consider fighting near his mansion/palace/castle?? Only as a last resort...
Why are there enemies so close??  Because his defences has been broken and only a handfull of loyal men remain to protect the lands...

We did this a few weeks ago, but we used a normal house for the mansion (cheap Count  :lol: ) so they want another model for the building

BTW, I won brilliantly, my 2000 points of loyal troops beat off 1000 points of Dark Elves and 1500 points of VC (only beat them from a lucky HLR shot on his general!!!)
Who's General Failure, and what's he doing on my Hard Drive?

Offline MixnMash

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 02:46:56 PM »
Many stately homes have low 'garden' walls separating the veranda arae from the gardens/lawns. This wall is no larger than the standard one covered by the rules (in fact it would generally be lower). A wall such as this makes the terrain far more defendable without actually turning it into a fortress.

I think that a general will always attempt to fight on the most advantageous terrain in the vicinity. There would be numerous advantages to defending his country residence (supplies, roads, outbuildings, storage facilities etc) compared to other rural locations.

Be sure to post a photograph when you finish this project.

Offline wisenheimer

• Members
  • Michigan, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 03:36:38 PM »
You might get some ideas from MBA. There's a mansion, estate walls and garden walls on this page.

http://www.thewarstore.com/MBAEuro-VillageSeries.html

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 05:31:23 PM »
You might find some inspiration for manor houses, or defensible villas here:

http://www.touchinghistory.co.uk/Picture%20Gallery.htm

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 06:43:02 PM »
make a keep and fight a massive mordheim type battle inside it  :P

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 07:40:03 PM »
Take a look at something like this for inspiration:

It is both a palace and a perfectly defensible castle.  This is also nice:

Offline jack

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 08:03:13 PM »
Perhaps Marcus Leitdorf will let you borrow his tower[Although I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you].
eat till you are tired .sleep till you are hungry

Offline Zarkdon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 04:39:00 AM »
I would make a big manor house on a hill with a low wooden/stone wall around it to defend behind. I would make it fairly large maybe double the standard hill size as this would represent the Electors Estate grounds.

The  mannor itself should probably have a small opening to a roof for archers and a couple of wings off to each side.

It would be difficult to make but would look really cool and you could have some fun battles without the whole seige game...
"Yours in not to question how or why, yours is but to do or die."

Preceptor of the Knights of the Yellow Streak before their failed feartest outside of Holdensburg

Offline FlameKnight

• Members
  • in your base, killing your dudes
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 10:56:25 AM »
Something like this:

From here