home

Author Topic: Found - Large Complete Map of the Empire  (Read 12929 times)

Offline Ebola

• Members
Found - Large Complete Map of the Empire
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:28:36 AM »
Hi all,

One thing that has been annoying me for quite a while was trying to find a complete and detailed map of the whole Empire.  After a bit of persistence I have finally found a 16MB one.

You can see it at: http://www.sweetwatercakery.com/_jesse/WFRP3/WFRP%20Maps/Large%20Warhammer%20Map.pdf

I cannot identify whether there are any copyright infringements of this map being held at the web address so my apologies in advance and I will understand if this topic is deleted.

Cheers!
Ebola

Offline arselus

• Members
Re: Found - Large Complete Map of the Empire
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:49:11 AM »
The map seems good, nice and huge, I might have to print one out. The website is ridiculous, and no connection to warhammer at all. A cake and cupcake website?

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:50:32 AM »
Looks really good, and unlike another (huge and quite beautiful) map of the Empire that was linked to about half a year ago, this map actually has Bögenhafen in the correct place! :eusa_clap:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Grotsnot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:58:52 AM »
The map seems good, nice and huge, I might have to print one out. The website is ridiculous, and no connection to warhammer at all. A cake and cupcake website?
Yeah I know! Imagine dedicating a website to a niche interest. What came over them!?!?!?!

Offline arselus

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:09:02 AM »
Yeah I know! Imagine dedicating a website to a niche interest. What came over them!?!?!?!

Ha, you got me there. I was just dumbfounded because the site is a cakery website, but there is also a warhammer map posted to it... isn't that weird? I don't think you can even find the warhammer map by searching through the menus

Offline Ebola

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:54:32 AM »
It took me a long time to find this map  :ph34r: :blush:

I have promptly downloaded a copy to my pc just in case it ever disappears! Might be useful for a campaign some time in the future. I have had a good day today - finding this map and finally getting a decent deal on ebay - 30 Empire Free Company figures for A$20 (including P&H).  Would have preferred them to be halberdiers but still cannot complain!

Cheers! Ebola

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:21:26 AM »
Great work man, thank you for shareing !!!
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:23:08 AM »
Awesome find, thanks for the link :)
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
Ah it appears some other bored person has also pieced together the many small maps available into one large map. Looks to be all Mad Alfred maps for WHFRP and by the looks of Kislev and Ostland 1st Edition WHFRP.

Oh and my own boredom induced map project which I put at 85% done http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9854/oldworldmapclean.jpg
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Krag

• Members
  • All hail Hans Obrix !
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
 :icon_cry: Cant open it, keeps getting "file corrupted"... Not an expert, what do I do wrong ? Ebola, if you have a copy, could you somehow distribute it?

@ S.O.F. nice, love to see it when compleated  :happy:

Krag

Offline Archon

• Members
  • All for one Griffon soldier, one for all
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »
Great map!

Of note, there is a city named Hochsleben. Now please, any native German speakers help out my 16 credits from undergrad, because from what I recall this means....

1) 'Celebration' (loose translation, from what I remember of "hoch soll zu leben", or congratulations.... kind of like Asuncion, El Salvador, etc., quite cool).

-OR-

2) Literal translation: 'High Life'. Which can only mean one thing-- In Averland, it's always Miller Time.
Let them line up all their archers, we fight better in the shade.
Let them line up all their spearmen for they'll all soon meet the blade

Offline ostlandbull

• Members
  • Ours is the Fury
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »

2) Literal translation: 'High Life'. Which can only mean one thing-- In Averland, it's always Miller Time.

That's what I thought but my German are not very good.
Hell is for losers, heaven is for sissy gay guys, Valhalla is for real men.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
It took me a long time to find this map  :ph34r: :blush:

I have promptly downloaded a copy to my pc just in case it ever disappears! Might be useful for a campaign some time in the future. I have had a good day today - finding this map and finally getting a decent deal on ebay - 30 Empire Free Company figures for A$20 (including P&H).  Would have preferred them to be halberdiers but still cannot complain!

Cheers! Ebola

Hey if you are looking for good Halberdiers I will be posting my converted Artizan figs soon. I must say they look really, really good.

Adran

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
Great map!

Of note, there is a city named Hochsleben. Now please, any native German speakers help out my 16 credits from undergrad, because from what I recall this means....

1) 'Celebration' (loose translation, from what I remember of "hoch soll zu leben", or congratulations.... kind of like Asuncion, El Salvador, etc., quite cool).

-OR-

Native German speaker? At your command 8-)

Well, honestly it is a little surprise to see the second translation. Literally correct yes, but does not make sense to me. There is no "Hochleben" or "Hohes Leben" (as a literal re-translation of High Life) I had ever heard of. Especially not in the terms of debauchery or excesses.

Whatsoever: I would stick to the first translation. "Hoch sollst du leben." probably is the root. Just meaning kind of:

A place where one of Empire's celebrated heroes died or more likely won an important battle. Or whatsoever a celebrated man (or woman?) could have done to be cause of celebration :laugh:

Or maybe just a homage to J. von Hochsleben ... who ever this guy is, never heard of him before but google did :-)

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »
A very large full map can be found here in colour

http://www.hugs-site.co.uk/public/Ant/WRFP/whfrp-empire-map-big.jpg
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:32:12 PM by Uryens de Crux »
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Ebola

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
Nice find Uryens de Crux!
Cheers  :::cheers:::

Offline gitzman

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »
Hey guys,

I wanted to provide a bit of clarity and an update on the map. Update first =)

*Map Update*
The map and site has moved to a new location due to its popularity and is no longer on www.SweetWaterCakery.com.  It is now housed at its new home, http://www.GitzmansGallery.com.

*Map Update 2*
I have posted a brand new, expanded, larger, full color, rescaled, and more current version of the map at Gitzman's Gallery as well.  Please check it out and enjoy.

*Clarity*
This whole thing started as a weekend project a few months ago and spiraled out of control =).  I've been very pleased with the community feedback and continue to welcome it.  Best i can tell, the Super Huge, Detailed Map of the Warhammer Old World is in fact the most detailed map for Warhammer Fantasy to date.

Game on!

Gitzman

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 07:26:44 AM »
Wow, very nice new site! Thanks for putting up the link!

You did great work with that map. :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 08:01:29 AM »
There even is a Wuppertal in the Empire....so it is official it is Germany.

Offline gitzman

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:12 PM »
I have posted a full screen GoogleMaps version of the map in response to community feedback.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/Warhammer_Maps/index.html

Gitzman