home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 89499 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
So the wife and I have been watching DS9 and is it just me or is Garak gay for Bashir?

The actor said he deliberately played Garak as being sexually interested in Bashir.

He's so proud of Bashir for shooting him in the James Bond episode!  :icon_lol:  That episode was also great for being a Holodeck plot that couldn't be fixed by just turning the thing off, unlike every time they did it on TNG.

Quote from: Siberius
Talking of watching star trek, I'm towards the end of rewatching voyager.

I know it's not universally liked and they definitely could have done so much better had they have taken a ds9 approach to story arcs but for what it is I have a soft spot for it.

Voyager wasn't that bad really, but it needed better writers and better actors! Borg lady and holodoctor were good, but the others were either bland (like the first officer) or actively annoying (the captain, the alien cook).

I didn't see all of it though.

Quote from: Gneisenau
She was - at least in the beginning - the most "evil" main character that Star Trek ever had

Garak!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
Hey, Kate Mulgrew is a fine actress. They just changed her character from episode to episode.

Robert Beltrami, on the other hand, was lousy.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
Been watching a BBC short series "Sword, Musket & Machine Gun: Britain's Armed History"

Episode One was about Sword, axes, crossbows and the longbow.
Episode 2 went on to black powder weapons.

Episode 3 is next week and goes up to WW1 - the Vickers machine gun features. Episode 1 tells how an experiment on one single machine saw it fire over 5,000,000 rounds non-stop over the course of a week. How's that for reliability.

Not sure if it is available outside the UK?
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2017, 05:41:16 PM »
Sounds great! Going to look for it. That vickers reminds me of a film of the Newfoundland regiment 'the blue putties' on the attack. They were virtually wiped out. The camera man had to shut it down as it was too depressing to watch. Of course this was censored back home at the time. I think the band 'great big sea' did a song about them. I'm not sure how my grandfather survived 4 years there. He was gassed a couple of times and that eventually finished him off at the age of 72 I think. Tough old codger 'e was😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
So the wife and I have been watching DS9 and is it just me or is Garak gay for Bashir?

I have no idea how anyone could ever reach this conclusion.
A simple "Of course he's gay for Bashir" would have sufficed.  :engel:

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2017, 02:37:27 AM »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2017, 02:40:03 AM »
Yeah mulgrew was good but they definitely wrote her making done odd choices. Neelix is a big pity. I actually think he could have been a great character considering his empathy, wartime experience and wheeler dealer trickster knowledge. Unfortunately they relegated him to comic relief mostly and not good comic relief like the doc's huge ego. The guy is a pretty good actor too which makes it all the more a pity.

From what I can tell, beltran just got more and more underused and was upset by it so kinda went into coasting mode. It would have been much more interesting if they had kept some of the maquis fire in him but after a few episodes they decided he should be janeways loyal puppy.

As people here are more into ds9, was anyone else a dukat fan? I loved garek of course, but I really enjoyed the way that dukat basically got to be the exact opposite, outwardly villainous but with a secret and complicated moral side.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »
Yes, it was probably Kate Mulgrew's character that was at fault rather than her acting.

The Starfleet/Marquis split in the crew could have been interesting if they'd actually used it!

As people here are more into ds9, was anyone else a dukat fan? I loved garek of course, but I really enjoyed the way that dukat basically got to be the exact opposite, outwardly villainous but with a secret and complicated moral side.

I think he was a fantastic villain, because his arrogance, his fragile ego, his total self-deceit, and his underlying brutality felt very realistic. He was the man in charge of the occupation and oppression of Bajor who couldn't understand why the Bajorans didn't appreciate him. Couldn't they see that he was trying his best to look after them? He was only doing his job!

He became more and more obsessed with Sisko as the series went on, going to greater and greater extremes to simultaneously destroy him and earn his respect.

Damar had one hell of a character arc too.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
I watched all of Voyager, but to me it's still the worst Star Trek series. People have already named most of my reasons, so I won't repeat them. The real pity was that the premise and some characters on that show were amazing. The Doc is still one of my all time favourites. On the other hand, Neelix was just cringeworthy (and I don't use that word lightly) - awkward, unfunny and annoying. Overall a lot of wasted potential!

As for Enterprise - I actually liked it for a lot of its run! It fell off towards the end, but most of that series felt very solid to me. Some good characters, and the setting was fresh and interesting. Some good plots too. Could have been better, but I don't really get the hate that show has garnered.

And all that DS9 talk makes me want to rewatch it again. Such a good series! I agree that Dukat was a fantasic villain. IMO the best one Star Trek ever had. And the show was also bold enough to smack our beloved Starfleet heroes with some truly dark shit - "In the pale Moonlight" is still in my top 3 Star Trek episodes ever.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:16:10 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
I actually enjoyed enterprise too, though it's hard to deny it all get maybe a touch too over reaching? I did really enjoy the whole thing with the race of different animal types and such though and how can you not love bakula?
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
I watched the UK championship on the WWE network and it was fucking fantastic.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2017, 01:33:24 AM »
I've just finished TNG and have started DS9.  I'm enjoying the characters so far despite many people telling me it's terrible.

I've also watched the first two TNG movies (Generation and First Contact).  They're ok (despite obvious plot holes) but it's like they tried to make TNG into an action movie and failed to make it either.  Such a waste.  Hopefully Insurrection and Nemesis are better.

Should I begin watching voyager concurrently with DS9 since they're set at the same time?  I already messed up my time frames watching First Contact before Worf made it to DS9. 
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »
Nah, I would watch Voyager after DS9 if I were you.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2017, 05:56:27 PM »
And all that DS9 talk makes me want to rewatch it again. Such a good series! I agree that Dukat was a fantasic villain. IMO the best one Star Trek ever had. And the show was also bold enough to smack our beloved Starfleet heroes with some truly dark shit - "In the pale Moonlight" is still in my top 3 Star Trek episodes ever.

"I can live with it, can't I? . . . Computer, delete entire log entry."

DS9 was by far the best. I still enjoyed TOS, TNG, Voyager and Enterprise, but none of them had the depth of characters and storyline that DS9 had. Plus the space battles were by far the best! Dukat and the Cardassians in general were great villains, but the secondary characters (Damar, Weyoun, the female changeling leader) were what put the show at the top. 
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
Anyone else find it funny that there are these ugly people in star trek [not sure which series] called the 'Kardassians' :icon_lol:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »
Final Space looks interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yco11ZQ0UE
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2017, 07:53:04 PM »
Started watching Black Sails.. seen episode 3 of season 1.. not sure what to make of it..feels full of political intrigues instead of brute piracy
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »
Anyone else find it funny that there are these ugly people in star trek [not sure which series] called the 'Kardassians' :icon_lol:

I have to admit: when I first heard tangentially about the Kardashians a couple of years ago, I wondered why in God's name an obscure race from Star Trek was attracting media attention.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »
The Expanse season 2 has started airing, and it's really good.

Season 1 was a bit slow at times because they had to do a lot of world building (which I didn't mind at all!) - season 2 has really been steaming ahead right out the gate. Highly recommended if you're into scifi at all, it's an amazing show.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2017, 11:22:28 PM »
Big fan of the Expanse. Really looking forward to sitting down and binging the new episodes.

Started watching Black Sails.. seen episode 3 of season 1.. not sure what to make of it..feels full of political intrigues instead of brute piracy

I watched a lot of Black Sails for the first two seasons. It was really good at first, but then started becoming less and less about pirates. By the time I stopped mid season 2, it was just everyone wheeling and dealing but not actually accomplishing anything. It felt like multiple episodes of everyone just sitting at a table constantly renegotiating a contract, only to come back next week and do it again.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2017, 12:40:32 AM »
Did they at least speak like pirates during the sit down negotiations? Did they drink rum? Any eyepatches?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2017, 12:45:48 AM »
When you say 'Did they speak like pirates?' I take it you actually mean, 'Did they speak like they were from Devon?' 'Cos if not ... you are aware that not all pirates were from Devon, yeah?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2017, 01:52:10 AM »
The answer to all your questions is generally no. Except for the rum part. I believe there was lots of rum. The accents could get all over the place, a real tour of the world.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2017, 03:11:38 AM »
I was talking in jest?
Glad to hear there was rum!
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »
The president of Fox announced he'd be willing to reboot or continue Firefly but only if Joss Whedon is on board.
http://epicstream.com/news/Fox-is-Open-to-Rebooting-Firefly-But-Only-Under-This-Condition
― Jake the Dog