home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 679746 times)

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1625 on: February 05, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
Which is a great tactic if your business plan is to go bankrupt.  :-P
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1626 on: February 06, 2013, 04:36:58 AM »
I found some perfect Kossars for a Kislev army. http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DIF-33
They have some terrible pictures
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1627 on: February 06, 2013, 05:50:36 AM »

When I bought my last batch of historical stuff, I found a website where only some of the miniatures actually had photos- the rest had drawings.

Some of them don't even have the line drawings. "Line infantry, standing at ready." Thanks! That's good enough, I can totally picture exactly what it looks like in my mind, don't bother trying to sell me anything with photos. Pixels cost money, and there's a pixel shortage, don't you know!  :wink:

I just buy so little historical stuff it wouldn't be worth it.

If you cant be arsed to buy a light box from ebay like chumley and fr1day have, and take pictures of your minis, I can't be arsed to buy from you.

Unpainted miniatures don't need a sophisticated setup at all. 15+ years ago I was putting figures on a scanner. On unpainted figures that would work even better. Even now, for my painted figures, all I use is a regular desk lamp or two.

On the other hand, there's a newer generation of companies that handle the "high tech" marketing very well.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:29:45 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1628 on: February 08, 2013, 12:00:44 AM »
Foundry has rereleased some WoTR packs, along with some ancient Germans and Babylonians.  They are offering these packs at buy 2-get-1 free for February.  Some of the armoured infantry would be nice for empire greatswords/reiksguard...

http://wargamesfoundry.com/
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1629 on: February 08, 2013, 12:07:11 AM »
Those are so old though. I have the original GW versions of some of those!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #1630 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:57 AM »
Those look amazing
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1631 on: February 08, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
I just bought a box of Victrix Napoleonics - obviously not new figures, but really very nice indeed. Anyone looking for 28mm Napoleonics could do much worse than grab a box of these; they were about $35 for 52 figures.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #1632 on: February 08, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
More hotness coming from TAG's tudor range  :icon_eek:

infantry, tudor nobles, spanish gendarmes, borderers....man.... this whole project is getting me wet, I must confess. :)

More on the workbench pages over at TAG:  http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/ 

:eusa_clap:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1633 on: February 08, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »
I love the foot and the non knight horse.

Don't like the knights really.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1634 on: February 08, 2013, 11:45:25 PM »
I´d love to love them, they are totally right in their timeperiod.  But no, they do not rock my boat at all. Too chunky in general and butt-ugly horses. I´d say Foundrys Elisabethean and swashbuckler infantry are superior.

Luckily Pro Gloria are producing better infantry and soon cavalry too.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1635 on: February 09, 2013, 08:52:33 PM »
I like them. Perhaps I'll use them for some future project - in the future, that is, when they're available.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1636 on: February 11, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Some Picts from Tanatus Miniatures, available through North Star:

http://corblogme.blogspot.sg/2013/02/painted-picts.html

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #1637 on: February 11, 2013, 09:33:05 PM »
The champion has got a massive nose. Great palette........NOT
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #1638 on: February 11, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
Some Picts from Tanatus Miniatures, available through North Star:
Well, they are painted models, but no Picts.  :icon_wink:
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1639 on: February 11, 2013, 09:47:44 PM »
they are not good
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #1640 on: February 13, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
I just buy so little historical stuff it wouldn't be worth it.

If you cant be arsed to buy a light box from ebay like chumley and fr1day have, and take pictures of your minis, I can't be arsed to buy from you.

You can even make one out of a cardboard box and a white sheet that works just as well!
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #1641 on: February 14, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »
That was positively the most crapy painted picts/generic migration period barbarians I have seen! I did not know the picts were cloned from one single person, nor dad they had strictly enforced uniforms... :dry:

I love their shields, perfect for germanic warriors of the period. All in all, they would all work well as rank and file germanoic warriors of the later empire and migration period.

And the shields... So sweet shield bosses! Makes my heart grow warm and fuzzy. But if thee paingter had done a modicum study of the period, for example read the excellent source book from old WAB, Fall of the West. The romans used the shield designs to identify their units and it seem very likely the germanic tribes did the same. That germanic shields were decorated and painted is shown by finds from the danish warbooty sacrifices, but we do not have enough finds to see if there were consistent designs for specific warbands. It seems likely, however, since the warbooty sacrifices indicate that the armies of northern Europe were organized along roman lines, even if the equipment for each warrior did not match a roman soldier.  Shield, spears and some sidearm was standard, unless you were an archr. Warriors belts were germanic verions of roman soldier belts, and in some cases you have roman equipöment that seem to belong to veterans who have serving in the roman army. Fact is you even have the kit of a roman officiial with the duty of keeping check of the border and gather intelligence from inside Germania Libera. He seems to have ended up on the losing side in a local war.

Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #1642 on: February 14, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »
that TAG kickstarter is coming up soon and certainly has my attention...these would make an excellent proxy empire force.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1643 on: February 15, 2013, 02:42:02 AM »
That was positively the most crapy painted picts/generic migration period barbarians I have seen!

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1644 on: February 15, 2013, 02:57:54 AM »
I like them..... they are kind of uniform though, which is not normal for barbarians.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1645 on: February 15, 2013, 03:24:21 AM »
I didn't paint them as barbarians per se because I plan to use them in my Empire army and also as armed medieval peasants in my fantasy skirmish.

They are nice figures, so hopefully my paint-job didn't do the manufacturers a disservice.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #1646 on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:31 AM »
That was positively the most crapy painted picts/generic migration period barbarians I have seen! I did not know the picts were cloned from one single person, nor dad they had strictly enforced uniforms... :dry:

I love their shields, perfect for germanic warriors of the period. All in all, they would all work well as rank and file germanoic warriors of the later empire and migration period.

And the shields... So sweet shield bosses! Makes my heart grow warm and fuzzy. But if thee paingter had done a modicum study of the period, for example read the excellent source book from old WAB, Fall of the West. The romans used the shield designs to identify their units and it seem very likely the germanic tribes did the same. That germanic shields were decorated and painted is shown by finds from the danish warbooty sacrifices, but we do not have enough finds to see if there were consistent designs for specific warbands. It seems likely, however, since the warbooty sacrifices indicate that the armies of northern Europe were organized along roman lines, even if the equipment for each warrior did not match a roman soldier.  Shield, spears and some sidearm was standard, unless you were an archr. Warriors belts were germanic verions of roman soldier belts, and in some cases you have roman equipöment that seem to belong to veterans who have serving in the roman army. Fact is you even have the kit of a roman officiial with the duty of keeping check of the border and gather intelligence from inside Germania Libera. He seems to have ended up on the losing side in a local war.

Ahh, now there dear heart, I would argue that these are not migration era Picts, but late dark age picts. They are not bad figures for that, although I would have expected the R&F to be bare legged and bare footed. Now, your late Pict and Scotti shields for R&F were generally plain brown leather covered shields with little to no decoration. The Picts were far flung Welsh effectively, being P culture trash as opposed to Q culture goodness and fought in warbands in the Welsh way (time of Kenneth McAlpine) but by the time of the Kingdom of Alba started fighting in shield walls armed and equipped as those figures are (earlier ones used longer two handed spears) Those figures are good for fighting the wars of Constantine to MacBeth, but I would still prefer them bare legged.
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1647 on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »
They are based on c. 7th century, apparently.

They have leggings, but I suppose they can be painted with bare knees.

They have figures using long spears two-handed too:

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #1648 on: February 15, 2013, 08:35:10 AM »
Some of the old Gripping Beast ones were very nice (and some were abortions), but I am not sure about the current range.

trouble is you are paying Gripping Beast Prices for 1st Corps quality as they were designed by Rob Baker - so why would I want to do that?

the figures you've show are much nicer posed and look more natural.
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #1649 on: February 15, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »
What kind of archaeological or historical evidence is there for an early use of two-handed spears at that date (5-6th century AD). I have only seen one single probably pictish depiction of a man wielding a long twohanded spear while being protected by a man with shield and axe.
Was this a very pictish fighting style?

Today it is kinda widespread among re-enactors to use long twohanded spears but in the old days, using spears twohanded as far as I know something more for the later medieval period, besides that mentioned pictish image that I do not know the exact date for.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!