home

Author Topic: Engineer 8.0  (Read 25504 times)

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
Engineer 8.0
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
The 7.0 Engineer was a step in the right direction and a halfstep backwards. 

I love the engineer tools list and I can even live with his robohorse and it's electrical brass balls.  I have to admit I sort of like the model too! (/me ducks for cover).   That being said I think he needs some adjustments to be truly worthy in the field.  So for all intents and purposes I'll suggest keeping him as is with some exceptions.

Ballistic Skill 5.  - The Engineer has been creating and firing weapons since he was a wee lil lad. It's not hard to imagine that he served as a handgunner in an Imperial army somewhere and eventually was promoted to lead a unit.  It's also not hard to imagine his skill in calibrating and firing a war machine with dead on accuracy.  He should be one of the best shooters on the battlefield, and his enemies beware,  an engineer with a hochland long rifle will be taking shots on your noggin.  Had the GW design team reasoned this, the Engineer would be fielded much more on the table.

Reroll Ability-  If an Empire Engineer is on the table,  ALL warmachines get a reroll in case of a misfire.  His coaching and efficiency amongst the war machine crews prior to battle, and on the warpath have boosted their abilities on the field.  If an Engineer crews a War Machine,  his BS is utilized when necessary, and a second Reroll can be applied in case of a misfire.

-Grutch

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: Engineer 8.0
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
I like your take on the engie! I'd like to add one thing: the option to take heavy armour at +4 pts.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »
and Magic items.

And I'd limit it to 1 reroll per battle per warmachine.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »
bah I say no magic items.  I say he should get engineer only items to choose from, kinda like how wizards get to choose arcane items.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
That would work as well. As long as they get items that are similar to magic items in their effect, I don't care what you call them.

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:32:37 PM »
There should be option to upgrade mechanical steed to a necron monolith for 200pts.  :icon_lol: Or perhaps option for destroyer body?  :icon_rolleyes:

Offline Soulfire

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:34:48 PM »
Pah! In Empire 8.0 Steam Tanks will be made into special choices, and they will be an upgradeable mount for Engineers!
Burn them with the Flames of your Faith!

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »
 :-D

On a more serious note, I think some magic-items-look-alike-invetions would be a good addition. Just a few, such as a sort of cross-over between the HLR and the dragon bow.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »
:-D

On a more serious note, I think some magic-items-look-alike-invetions would be a good addition. Just a few, such as a sort of cross-over between the HLR and the dragon bow.

In a repeater version ?

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:57:23 PM »
well yeah, either that or a nuke :roll:

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »
Hey, Valmir Von Raukov had one of those (a repeater dragon bow, not a nuke)

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
at 20 points, no hero slot, as unit upgrade... I might reconsider EVER fielding one in my armies...

Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 08:00:54 PM »
Yes that sounds good.

Or how about suicide bomb dog upgrade to engineer? Like in WW2. Dogs that are trained to go near the enemy and then engineer will trigger the bombs that are attached to the dog. It could use rules of goblin fanatics.  :icon_lol:

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »
OOOh

Steveb, where are those powder monkeys ?

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
Yes, only they'll blow up our steam tanks :engel: Anyone get it? Anyone? (instert misaksi's favourite smiley)

You mean powder, I think? Him and his regiment of powder monkey flagellants?

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 08:04:01 PM »
Yes, only they'll blow up our steam tanks :engel: Anyone get it? Anyone? (instert misaksi's favourite smiley)

I got it.  :icon_lol:

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 08:31:58 AM »
The 7.0 Engineer was a step in the right direction and a halfstep backwards. 

I love the engineer tools list and I can even live with his robohorse and it's electrical brass balls.  I have to admit I sort of like the model too! (/me ducks for cover).   That being said I think he needs some adjustments to be truly worthy in the field.  So for all intents and purposes I'll suggest keeping him as is with some exceptions.

Ballistic Skill 5.  - The Engineer has been creating and firing weapons since he was a wee lil lad. It's not hard to imagine that he served as a handgunner in an Imperial army somewhere and eventually was promoted to lead a unit.  It's also not hard to imagine his skill in calibrating and firing a war machine with dead on accuracy.  He should be one of the best shooters on the battlefield, and his enemies beware,  an engineer with a hochland long rifle will be taking shots on your noggin.  Had the GW design team reasoned this, the Engineer would be fielded much more on the table.

Reroll Ability-  If an Empire Engineer is on the table,  ALL warmachines get a reroll in case of a misfire.  His coaching and efficiency amongst the war machine crews prior to battle, and on the warpath have boosted their abilities on the field.  If an Engineer crews a War Machine,  his BS is utilized when necessary, and a second Reroll can be applied in case of a misfire.

-Grutch

Both pretty good ideas.  I would lower the cost of all his upgrades to 5 or 10 points and let him take as many of them as he wants in addition to the above.  The re-roll ability is the most controversial of the two but honestly its hard to justify wasting one of your hero slots unless it does that (a captasus, level 2 mage, or BSB; are always better choices than the current engie; allowing all your war engines to reroll misfires might make him competitive).

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
Great idea boss.

So simple, and yet ffective. Don't forget dropping the points cost though. 45 pts is fair IMO.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 06:03:12 AM »
Ballistic Skill 5.

This always seemed like a sorely missed typo, to me.  The Engineer is a skilled tinkerer who does nothing but build and play with guns, yet even a Captain has better marksmanship than him?  Absurdity, I say!  High time we fixed that and gave him the Ballistic Skill he deserves, if nothing else!

Oh, and get rid of the stupid horse ::throws something at Grutch::
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 01:34:16 AM »
I can see your reasoning on the bs5 heck in my time playing empire hitting on a five with a hochland was absurdly terrible, i mean he's standing still with a sniper rifle, how hard could it be?  :eusa_wall:

but i can sorta see the gw reasoning, they've thought 'hmmm, an engineer that makes guns then tests said guns, not uses them every day, but tests them' actually that sounds a bit weak to me down with gw reasoning!
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »
Maybe it isn't just about skill. Maybe they are astigmatistic and thats why they have only bs 4. :icon_lol: The models even have usually eyeglasses or monocle so that must mean that they have bad vision.  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 09:58:58 AM »
I stand by my option of 'paying 15 points or so to take him out back and shoot him'..... :engel:

::throws something at Grutch::

Aargh!

*flies through the air and misses Grutch by a foot or so*

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Maybe it isn't just about skill. Maybe they are astigmatistic and thats why they have only bs 4. :icon_lol: The models even have usually eyeglasses or monocle so that must mean that they have bad vision.  :icon_biggrin:

I object to your unfair blanket statement about monocle wearers, sir!  ::watches Eight Merrick miss Grutch by a foot or so:: Hmm... ::Adjusts monocle:: objection retracted.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 12:03:58 AM »
Come on guys you can't say you wouldn't buy a monacle if you saw one for sale would you?  :unsure:

But in response to the engineer gw can't make him too powerful or it would take away from the dwarves, because the dwarves are supposed to be made to be the best shooting army out there apparently. Well thats their reasoning I guess. . .
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »
I would have liked him if he granted unlocking abilities to the army :-)

Like, field an engineer, and you can take engineering weapons for your other characters. Take two and you may upgrade all missile unit champs with special weapons (or CC troops with experimental weapons akin to the Von Zeppel stank). Take three and you can take double of a rare war machine for 1 slot, and so on.

Hopefully, gunlining would be balanced by the char slots taken up by the buggers :-)

/Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/