home

Author Topic: Steam Tank  (Read 41667 times)

Offline Dezzo

• Members
  • Shooty!
Re: Steam Tank
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2010, 11:39:28 PM »
@Perforated:

I guess the Unit Type is Warmachine.

You are right about the 27" charge xD... I would think that the risk that you gonna take for that is a huge one since the failure to get the right dice roll would mean the Steam Tank would take wounds and render it almost un-usable.

I'm quite pleased with the general acceptance of the Engineer upgrade. I still think that during the design of the Stank, the Master Engineer that was added to the Stank, artificially raised the cost of the Stank. It doesn't matter if he does nothing or not, that was how GW developers did things then. Because of improved design theory now, that we might see the Stank costed appropriately.

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2010, 06:09:01 AM »
You are right about the 27" charge xD... I would think that the risk that you gonna take for that is a huge one since the failure to get the right dice roll would mean the Steam Tank would take wounds and render it almost un-usable.

Sure, the risk is huge, but if you pull it off you've landed a terror bomb right in the middle of the opponents army that is more or less guaranteed to destroy any regiment it touches.

I'm quite pleased with the general acceptance of the Engineer upgrade. I still think that during the design of the Stank, the Master Engineer that was added to the Stank, artificially raised the cost of the Stank. It doesn't matter if he does nothing or not, that was how GW developers did things then. Because of improved design theory now, that we might see the Stank costed appropriately.

You know, that is just assumptions, I don't believe that they've added an arbitrary +65 points to the steam tank just because there happens to be an engineer on it.

Anyways, what about the rest of my comments? (I've cleaned up my post a bit)
Stirland rabble for life!

Offline Dezzo

• Members
  • Shooty!
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
I think your cannon misfire chart is cool.

It gives the Stank more survivability and the player, options.

On the off set chance that we don't want the Stank to move, at least we can fire the cannon and be less worried about the misfire.

Terror Bomb? I think over-all only 4 - 5 army books truly have a weakness to that. The others just shrug and carry on. xD

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »
I think your cannon misfire chart is cool.

It gives the Stank more survivability and the player, options.

On the off set chance that we don't want the Stank to move, at least we can fire the cannon and be less worried about the misfire.

Which was my intent, the misfire "chart" as it is now actually punishes people so severely that a lot of people refrain from actually using the cannon at all.

While on the not of survivability, what about my proposed changes to "reliability"? As it stands now a pair of bolt throwers are more or less guaranteed to reduce the steam tank to a peice of junk that can reliably  generate between 1-3 steam points. And that's just from one turn. Let's not get into what a cannon or stone thrower will do to it.

Terror Bomb? I think over-all only 4 - 5 army books truly have a weakness to that. The others just shrug and carry on. xD

While the terror might not be the worst offender, the possible 9D6 S6 hits would annihilate any unit on the recieving end of the charge, thus forcing several panic tests as well. Quite nasty. Capping the amount of steam points is necessary.

Offline Hobi

• Members
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »
Imho Steam tanks is good as its.

But he needs only one thing to be more comparable with new monsters....automatic steam points ! something like (wound/2) rounds down:

10 hp = 5 steam points
8-9 hp   = 4 steam points
6-7 hp  = 3 steam points
4-5  hp = 2 steam points
2-3 hp  = 1 steam point
1 hp     = 0 :Ohmy:

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2010, 10:27:57 AM »
Actually no, it isn't.
It need automatic steam points as you phrase it. However, I believe that the extra steam point should warrant some risk taking from the player. Also, the cannon needs a proper misfire chart.