home

Author Topic: The Magic Phase and the Crimson Amulet  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
The Magic Phase and the Crimson Amulet
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »
What's with the Crimson Amulet?  I'm sensing that people around here like to use it on their wizards.

I can see that with 8th's emphasis on '(insert stat type here) test or die, no saves of any kind allowed' that you might want to protect your investment, but i've never had much trouble. 

To me 8th edition has almost ruined magic.  Sure it seems big and badass and the spells all do incredible damage, but in the hundreds of games I've played in 8th edition, magic usually plays a very minimal role.  Especially when we are playing empire.

With an Arch Lector and Warrior Priest set-up, almost standard now, you have too many dispel dice for your opponent, and when something nasty goes through its either dispel scrolled, or it's irresistible. 

Magic has become all or nothing.  You either put all your dice into the big spell hoping for a miscast, or you fail. 

As a player also of Dark Elves, among a few other armies, the best combo I have seen has got to be a Dark Sorceress on Dark Pegasus with the pendant of Khaleth. 
The pendant means that you only have to role under the strength (6 always fails) of the incoming wound.
Thus when miscasting, and generally taking either a S6 or S10 hit, you have potentially a 2+ ward save.

Be that as it may, when i'm playing Empire with a Lvl 4 wizard, I usually go Lore of Life and try for Throne of Vines, purely to stop the miscast when I'm forced to throw 6 dice at a spell to even have a chance.

How have you all found magic in 8th?  And has the crimson amulet ever saved you?

Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: The Magic Phase and the Crimson Amulet
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:37:27 AM »
I have found mostly the same as you on magic either I dispell all magic or I get it with IF against me. Only rarely I let a spell slip through to save dice versus the big nasty spell that might come around.

As for the amulet. I used it in my early games, but never had any use for the anti-test ability and the ward save I have never made yet.
I now ignore this item mostly and would rather give my wizard a true ward save if I still have some points left to use otherwise just a dispell scroll or the RoP.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
Just don't take WP or AL.
Problem solved.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »
But then you're missing out on the fun of shutting down your opponents magic phase, and missing out on a huge part of empire lore!
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
But then you're missing out on the fun of shutting down your opponents magic phase, and missing out on a huge part of empire lore!
Well yeah. But if you're complaining that something is too overpowered to be used often, you should just not take it.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra