home

Author Topic: New to the forums and Warhammer 8th/fantasy  (Read 2294 times)

lordhedgwich

New to the forums and Warhammer 8th/fantasy
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:19:09 AM »
So I started miniature painting last June I started with Warhammer 40k with Imperial guard since then I have painted , Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Ultramarines, Death Korps of Krieg, Genestealer Cults, Sigmarites (AoS), Khorne blood bound, Black Legion, Death Guard, Chaos Renegades, Dark Elves, and Vampire counts. I am a pretty confident painter I have painted and build a large variety of kits. I Sold all of my painted models and decided to do just two armies Vampire counts and Dark Elves for me and my wife to play AoS with, but while I was painting and building these models I started to read more and more about Warhammer fantasy and the lore is just amazing I also decided to get into the Empire with the sole purpose of trying to play 8th edition. Last night I ordered 16 spearmen, 16 handgunners, 8 knights, 1 Cannon, 3 command models, 2 generals, 10 state troops, and the 8th edition Empire Army book. Now that my introduction is out of the way I can ask my question. How do you decide what army to province to paint? I love the look of Averland, Reikland, and Nuln. I was thinking Reikland as it seems like the easiest to paint and I was going to go for a more off white cream color for the uniforms.. Any advice or tips while I wait for my minis and book to arrive? Thanks

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: New to the forums and Warhammer 8th/fantasy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »
I liked the black and yellow when seeing these on a knight in my youth, and when I read some material on Averland, that confirmed my choice.

Welcome to W-E! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:35:27 AM »
Welcome! Yes indeed, the background of WH fantasy is very rich.
People decide on province based on a number of factors. First things first, all provinces can have any unit - don't let people tell you otherwise, however you can decide to go for a more typical army province army vs a fully decked out one. That can limit your unit choices, however also gives great modelling and theming opportunities.

For example, these are some typical attributes of the various cities and provinces:
Stirland - a bit poorer and rundown
Hochland - forest dwellers mainly
Middenheim / Middenland - wolf themes
Nuln - a bit more blackpowder
And so on.

You can also read 'A is for Altdorf' which gives a decent rundown, and look at the Introduction board which has various threads about the players who play each province.

If you want to paint purely on aesthetic and colour combinations, that's fine too. There generally is a colour combination for any occasion.

Black and Yellow is very striking, and allows some interesting armour colouring too with black lacquered armour and gold trim. Averland is a solid choice.

Grey and White for wissenland breaks up the pure white from Reikland. Alternatively you can go mainly White with Reikland, and scatter the odd Altdorf unit it too.

I would suggest browsing the B&P for colour schemes, however since the photobucket troubles you may not be able to find everything you are after.

Anyway, welcome again!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:33:34 AM »
I'm glad you came to reason :-P
Uniforms & Heraldry: the Empire could you some ideas, it shows the uniforms of all provinces and some famous regiments.

Offline stareso

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:04:54 PM »
Welcome! Since you say you are drawn to fantasy/8th due to its rich background (can't argue  :biggriin: ) I would suggest you use that to choose your province as well. You are not obliged in any way to choose any provinces and could merrily mix any of them together or choose a theme of your own, but their backgrounds are interesting, as well as iconography. Excellent tips have already been given, uniforms and heraldry is a great source book if you can get a hold of it.

Going with a province which background suits you best is probably rewarding, so I too will point you towards the 'A is for Altdorf' articles. Great stuff!