home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 5.0: Vampire Counts Tactical  (Read 18844 times)

Offline Noght

• Members
Tactical Decision Game 5.0: Vampire Counts Tactical
« on: January 19, 2013, 03:56:31 PM »
Vampire Counts 2500 List:
Lords:
Master Necromancer w/Earthing Rod and Opal Amulet.  Master of the Dead upgrade
Vampire Lord (General), Lvl 1 Lore of Vamps w/Sword of Anti-Heroes, OTS, Dragonhelm.  HA/Shield on Barded Nightmare.  Aura of Dark Majesty.

Heroes
Vampire.  Lvl 1 Lore of Shadow, w/Cursed Book, Biting Blade, Enchanted Shield and HA.  Beguile.

Core
40 Crypt Ghouls
5 Dire Wolves x2
29 Zombies w/Standard (Necro here)
29 Skeletons w/Full Command, Spears (Vampire Hero here)

Special
9 Black Knights w/Barding, Lances and Full Command and Screaming Banner (Vamp Lord here)
Corpse Cart w/Balefire upgrade
2 Spirit Hosts (single stand)

Rare
2 Terrorgheist w/Infested upgrade

Eighty's Holy Warriors
Lords
Arch Lector General - Aomi, Fencers blades

Heroes
Warrior Priest - Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, 5+ ward
BSB Captain - Full Plate, Shield, Dragon Helm, Dawnstone
Lvl 2 of Light w/ dispel Scroll
Lvl 2 of Light

Core
12 Archers
45 Halberds w/ full command & 5 archer detatch
35 Spearmen w/ full command & 5 archer detatch

Special
24 Flaggies
24 Flaggies
40 Greatswords w/ full command & 5 archer detatch
5 Pistoliers w/ musician
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:38:58 AM by Noght »
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline zakalwe

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 5.0: Vampire Counts Tactical
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
Well, they have a lot of bodies.  Shifting units of 24 flaggies will not be easy.

Lets see if we miss not having a scroll.

Lets hope we get curse of years :)

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
Did I forget the Scroll?  No worries, two lvl 2 casters aren't dangerous IMO vs a level 4.  There is no answer for the Flying Monsters either.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Meeting Engagement.  Empire chooses corner and deploys first.....
Hang loose.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:53:30 PM by Noght »
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:24 AM »
First thoughts:
They have nothing that can really touch our Terrorgheists, or our Vamp Lord, who could run around on his own if we wanted to. Just don´t get them stuck in multi-combats with our troops.

They have 2 Lvl2 mages who´ll be casting at -1CL if we move up the Corpse Cart (and why wouldn´t we? They have no artillery to shoot it with). Our Vamp Lord is almost immune to their MM´s with his Dragonhelm. Either way they don´t scare me.

Pretty much the only thing I find scary are the Greatswords. We need to delay them and hit them in our magic phase until they´re cut down to size.

We also need to take care of the Pistoliers with magic or a Spirit Host before they cause chaos in our ranks.

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »
Agreed flaggies would be a good target for the hosts too.

If we can get enough of the cursed book spells through, we can really start to hamper them. Most of the spells are remains in play and are useful.

What order are we rolling for spells? Are there any particular ones we want the necro to get?

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:48:24 AM »
The Flaggies will have ranks though, so they could beat the Hosts. Still a good matchup, though with that many Archer units I doubt they´ll let us have it.

As for spells, on the Necro we want Nehek and Vanhel´s obviously, and Raise Dead is too good to pass up should we get the chance. A magic missile would be nice, so I guess my ideal take would be:

Necro: Nehek, Vanhel´s, Gaze, Raise Dead
Vamp Lord: Nehek, Vanhel´s
Vamp: Miasma

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
Necro rolled 4, 5, 6, 6.
Vamp Lord rolled 6.
Vamp Heo rolled 1.

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »
I don't have access to the book atm.

Necro rolled? : Gaze curse and wind?

Swap one double, for dance or vigor
swap wind for nehek

Vamp rolled wind? and? is he level 2?

swap for nehek?

miasma on hero.

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
The rolls were:

Necro: raise dead, curse of years and soulwind x2.
Vamp lord: wind
Vamp hero: Vanhels.

I think I'd be inclined to agree with zak, so we'd have

Necro: invocation, dance, raise dead, curse of years
Vamp lord: invocation
Vamp hero: miasma
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
Welcome to Team Bloodsucker, valmir!

Necromancer: Invcation of Nehek, Vanhel´s Danse Macabre, Raise Dead, Curse of Years
Vampire Lord: Invocation of Nehek; but he is lvl 2 so should get another roll (we´ll take whatever it is, Soulwind seems like a bad idea on our lvl 2 General)
Vampire: Mystifying Miasma (he has the Lore of Shadows!)

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »
Vamp Lord only level 1.  I concur with Val (welcome! BTW).  0145, though all those ranked with a template seems sweet.....

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
Yeah, if the lord was lvl 2, then it would be fun to give him wind(!), but I suspect invocation is going to end up being of more use.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 01:24:58 AM »
Vampire Reinforcement roll.  Check this out. 

Zombies + Master Necromancer, Skeletons + Vamp Hero and a Terrorgheist enter as Reinforcements during Remaining Moves Turn 1.
Dancing early methinks.

Think about deploying to support a long side entry point for those guys.

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
Any idea what side we are yet?

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
Any idea what side we are yet?

Nope.  Expecting East side.  I'm not sure why they don't want the Stubborn Ruin or the Fence Line to defend because they are at a mobility and Magic disadvantage.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
Well, it´s hard to make a legitimate declaration about our deployment when there´s still so many unknown factors:
  • Which corner will they pick? (probably the one with the Stubborn thing in it if they pick West?)
  • Where will they place their troops and characters?
  • Did they roll any reinforcements?
  • What spells did they roll?

Having said that, I will assume they take position in the S-W corner, leaving us with the N-E corner.
We should try to keep our forces together, going for their northern flank. The T´gheist should take position as far forward as possible in the North (assuming no good charge possibilities for them on it), to be joined by his buddy. The Corpse Cart (if possiblewithin 24" of their mages) and Black Knights could follow next, with the relatively independent Ghoul-Horde being the unit farthest south. Chaff as appropriate.

The Zombie Bunker could come in either on the hill for more offensive reach or farther back to lend support to our lines. I´d go with further back, with the Skeletons screening it. We hit their north flank hard and fast with the Knights and Gheists, then wipe up what´s left with the Skeletons or protect our main forces´ flank with them. The Ghouls approach from further south to keep them honest with their flanking maneuvers.

The match-ups we should probably avoid are magic weapons vs. Spirit Hosts; Flagellants vs. Gheists (if possible, though it wouldn´t exactly be the end of the world...well, ours, anyway); Greatswords vs., well, anything, really. They need to be miasma´d ASAP to keep them from doing much of anything hopefully.

We also need to remember that even though we´re mainly a melee force, we still outshoot them. We can pick at their flanks at our leasure with the flying T´gheists and cause damage in our much superior magic phase to whittle them down before taking them on in melee if a charge doesn´t seem viable in the beginning.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »
Empire deploying first SW corner around Acropolips of Heroes.  So VC get NE corner. 

Remember they will get a Magic phase where the +4 dispel is off the board.

May want to rethink keeping the Vortex spell instead of Raise Dead, mass of clumped infantry to roll it through, even the small template vs 20mm bases is full of win.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 12:25:39 AM »
Empire deploying first SW corner around Acropolips of Heroes.  So VC get NE corner. 

Remember they will get a Magic phase where the +4 dispel is off the board.

May want to rethink keeping the Vortex spell instead of Raise Dead, mass of clumped infantry to roll it through, even the small template vs 20mm bases is full of win.

Hmm, good point, and sounds like fun too.

Do we know their spells yet?

Just saw they have everything but the Pistoliers on the board, that should be VERY crowded indeed, so I agree with taking the Vortex.

They have Shem´s Burning Gaze and Pha´s Protection on one Wizard, and Gaze and Net of Amyntok on the other. Intersting that they kept Pha´s over Speed of Light, I guess they wnated the lower casting value. The Net could potentially hurt us and will probably be the priority dispel. Hopefully they´ll try to force it through early and blow one of their Wizard´s up in the process.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:33:00 AM by grifter »

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
Yes, lets see how they set up first.

If we do have to go toe to toe with the Greatswords, our ghouls are the best bet.

Lets see where the BSB deploys too, i hope we can screen one Gheist by the house.

What are the chances of wind of death exploding on the caster? is it artillery dice or d6 based?

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
Yes, lets see how they set up first.

If we do have to go toe to toe with the Greatswords, our ghouls are the best bet.

Lets see where the BSB deploys too, i hope we can screen one Gheist by the house.

What are the chances of wind of death exploding on the caster? is it artillery dice or d6 based?

Wind of Death is a Vortex.  Misfire centers on caster random D6 scatter.  Otherwise it moves Artillery dice x3 in direction nominated. Units touched take D6 S3 hits/rank, no Armor saves.  Otherwise like Vortexes do it bounces through all the units it touches.

Editorial...who cares, we'll just Regrow more Zombies and use the Lore Attribute to heal the Necro.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:40:23 PM by Noght »

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »
I would quite like to use raise dead, and the necro master of the dead, to create new skellie units and make them grow. Mainly for fluffy goddam that's not fair reasons, doubt we would have time in game to actually make a new horde unit or multiple horde units^^

Vortex is fun to use anyway, i rarely get a  chance to use them myself.

HOw are they getting on with deployment?

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 01:05:59 AM »
Empire Deployment up.

Decision on Raise Dead vs Wind of Death.

Any questions regarding ranges and placement, post it here and I'll answer ASAP.

Posting the Vamp Reinforcement info on the Main Board....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:48:30 PM by Noght »

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
Wind.

How did those Pistoliers end up there? Do they get to Vanguard on even when they´re reinforcements?

I still like denying their right flank, it has the GS as well. So, the Tgheist hidden behind the house, the Black Knights between the house and the table edge to hit their left flank on turn 2, the Ghouls along the fence keeping the GS from flanking us easily. The Corpse Cart between the house and fence, within 24" of their Wizards if possible. The Hounds go in front of the Knights and Ghouls, one Spirit Host goes to chase the Pistoliers, the other one inside the house so it can´t be first-turn banished.

The second Gheist comes in next to hill, the Skeletons right over the hill, the Zombies behind the Knights.

One thing we might consider: if we don´t start the Vamp Lord with the Knights, they could march right through the house. Since we´re probably going for a turn 2 charge, he couldn´t rejoin them in time, but could clear stuff on his own (Spearmen would be a good matchup for him maybe?).

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »
Pistoliers aren't down yet.  Put them there so I don't forget them.

Might consider staying 24" away from the Boosted Shem's until the Master Necro's +4 Dispel hits the Board, consider the Corpse Cart only has Regen and the Terrorgheist is Naked.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:55:12 PM by Noght »

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »
Pistoliers aren't down yet.  Put them there so I don't forget them.

Might consider staying 24" away from the Boosted Shem's until the Master Necro's +4 Dispel hits the Board, consider the Corpse Cart only has Regen and the Terrorgheist is Naked.

Ah, no Pistoliers in our backfield then (yet); the other Spirit Host could hide out in the house as well then?

As for the Shem´s: well, the TG has Regen 6+, but that´s not much better then nothing. Can we hide it out of LoS behind the house? Otherwise, denying their first magic phase by keeping away does sound tempting, even though a lot could still go wrong for them in the magic phase (not enough dice, miscasts, dispelling,...).

Zak and Valmir, what do you guys think? Should we play it safe or go for the kill right away?