home

Author Topic: TEG2: Rothgar's Wild Boyz Tactical Thread  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
TEG2: Rothgar's Wild Boyz Tactical Thread
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
TEG 2:  Rothgar's Wild Boyz Tactical Thread

This Tactical Exposition Game (TEG) is a modification to our popular Tactical Decision Game (TDG).  In this game, forum members will be able to sit "table-side" to watch a forum member go up against one of my Griffon Formation lists.  The list that won is Rothgar and his Wild Boyz O&G list.   

We will have several running threads for this TEG:
          --A Dicelog Thread with all the rolls as they happen
          --A Battle Thread where all the tactical decisions are posted after they are made and where the results are posted
          --An Enemy General Thread where Rothgar can communicate with the forum , get advice, discuss strategy and tactics.  (I will not look at the Enemy General thread till the end).

After the battle is over, I will post my thoughts as the battle went along so you can see why I did what I did when I did it.

I also plan on deleting the intro thread and dicelog thread when they are no longer needed to keep the Tactica forum from getting too cluttered.

Noght will be the moderator, backed up by Fidelis on any rule issues.

Choices to Start:

See the Battle Thread for the lists, terrain and scenario.

This thread is going to be used to post tactics discussions and recommendations to Rothgar.

What I need Rothgar and the forum to do now is to discuss/decide what spells to choose and what angle/deployment zone you want to go with.

I also need Rothgar to appoint some trusted Lieutenants.  Either let him know you volunteer or he may pick some people he knows.  Noght and Fidelis are off limits due to being moderators.

Once you have decided, post in the Battle Thread so then I can post the rolls for your units that are in reserve.

For spells: 
Big Waaagh-  Lvl 4: 1,3,4,5
Little Waaagh Lvl 1: 3

Meeting Engagement was rolled for the Scenario.  Rothgar won to choose the angle of the board and sides.

Here is a graph to help you see the deployment zone options:

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
Re: TEG2: Rothgar's Wild Boyz Tactical Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »
No Foot for this game? Sadness. That said, I got Hand and 'Ere We Go, so it's not all bad.

I'll go with the following spells:

Big Waaagh!
1 - Brain Bursta
3 - The Hand of Gork
4 - 'Eadbutt
5 - 'Ere We Go!

Little Waaagh!
3 - Itchy Nuisance

I'm not much of a fan of the Big Waaagh! signature spell, so we'll go ahead and keep the current lineup, which could see some use at trying to pick off his Wizard Lord. Itchy Nuisance is an awesome spell (and I rarely roll it), so we're going with that as well.

Since the road going down the table has no effect on gameplay, I'll take the top half of the table, and the diagonal that goes from top-left to bottom-right. I'll also open up the search for my Lieutenants; if Finlay is available, I'd like to nominate him, but anyone who wants to volunteer is more than welcome to.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:58:07 PM by rothgar13 »

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
I agree with the spell picks. I wonder how two snipespells will affect the battle.

Top right means that they donīt have any cover from our war machines. I think top left is an option too, we wonīt get much use from the hill but on the other hand they will have a lot of obstacles in the way of their deployment and advance, and the house may obstruct reinforcements trying to enter in the bottom left corner.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »
Too bad about the lobbas in reserve. I hope they get back quickly.

We are loading the left flank with combat units and the right with artillery+diverters. I expect most of the knights and the tank will sweep in from the right while he engages the combat units with his griffon. I'm a bit worried about the right flank.

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »
Just thought I'd pop in and wish you well. I've never played with or against Orcs and Goblins so I've no advice to offer, but I'll be eagerly watching the battle.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
I think you have to pull Finlay in here so he might help out not sure he visits the Tactical decisions game section of the forum.

I wish you luck mister!

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »
Thanks, Fandir. I sent him a PM, hopefully he'll stop by and lend his thoughts.

@Forumite: I can see why you'd be concerned in principle, but the way HHG has deployed, there's not much reason to be right now. There's only one unit of Knights and some Archers on that side, and my diverters and artillery can take them (and if not, there's not many points there, and the diverters can pack up and leave). If he brings his ICKs up from that side, they'll take serious damage from all the shooting - if he brings the Greatswords, they'll take too long to get there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:08:28 PM by rothgar13 »

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
Great call on your Goblin Bosses. Those Vanguard moves will help you to get rid of all his chaff good and early. Without the chaff the Griffon Formation is just another battle line. I honestly think OnG are going to win this one.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
I hope so. I'm fond of HHG and of his list, but I'm even fonder of winning. :icon_wink:

All right, boys, let's talk a little movement strategy. My thoughts right now are to have the Manglers make a beeline for the STank, have the Big Bosses sprint across the field and get in the grill of the Archer detachments, put the Black Orcs on counter-charge duty against the Knights, and move everything that's not a war machine straight forward. Anyone got opinions on that?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
What are your plans for dealing with his shooting?  He's got a lot of shots and can throw a couple magic missiles at your advance units.

If your manglers make a beeline for the Steam Tank, I expect they'll be blown away by the outriders, leaving magic missiles and archers to target your goblin bosses.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 06:26:23 PM »
My plan is to shoot his shooters - his Outriders are easy to kill with massed bowfire and Doom Divers, and that's exactly what I'll try.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 12:05:49 AM »
I think that you're spot on targetting his Outriders with the Doom Divers. That unit wilts fast under pressure. Plus, if you get a lucky morale check they might just make a run for it on Turn 1  :laugh:

You movement plan seems solid but I'm a bit confused on one point. How much damage can manglers actually do to a Steam Tank? I've never faced them before so I'm a bit vague on their actual capabilities.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10:29 AM »
. How much damage can manglers actually do to a Steam Tank? I've never faced them before so I'm a bit vague on their actual capabilities.

2D6 S6 AP hits vs the unit/model hit.  It could cripple it with good dice.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 02:45:30 AM »
Yep, Manglers hit like a ton of bricks. Easy to kill, but very painful to do so, and if I get them to go where I want... look out.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »
The night goblin shaman is probably not close enough to cast Itchy Nuisance on the Steam Tank, that would have been my first spell. This leaves Hand of Gork on the Mangler, 'Ere We Go on the Savages and two snipe spells. 'Eadbutt is probably at the very long range so itīs out. Here is my suggestions:

3 dice Hand of Gork to move left Mangler 3d6'' to behind their lines, goes in on 9+
3 dice 'Ere We Go on the Savages in case they get charged by the Steam Tank, goes in on 11+
2 dice Boosted Brain Bursta on the Wizard Lord, goes in on 9+ (the lord should be within 36')

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the Mangler in action. Very interested in seeing the battle.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the Mangler in action. Very interested in seeing the battle.
Depending on what you throw it at, the Mangler is either amazing or dreadful.  Against good toughness and armor saves, it's deadly (although Rothgar has doom divers, so it's less useful against armor).  Run it through a monster and you've got a very good chance of killing it outright, or leaving it with only 1 or 2 wounds.  Against infantry it isn't very good.

I take two because it forces my opponent to throw away chaff, who usually cost about the same as my one Mangler.  If they don't have chaff to deal with it I can destroy whatever I throw it at.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
The night goblin shaman is probably not close enough to cast Itchy Nuisance on the Steam Tank, that would have been my first spell. This leaves Hand of Gork on the Mangler, 'Ere We Go on the Savages and two snipe spells. 'Eadbutt is probably at the very long range so itīs out. Here is my suggestions:

3 dice Hand of Gork to move left Mangler 3d6'' to behind their lines, goes in on 9+
3 dice 'Ere We Go on the Savages in case they get charged by the Steam Tank, goes in on 11+
2 dice Boosted Brain Bursta on the Wizard Lord, goes in on 9+ (the lord should be within 36')

My fear here is that there's not a whole lot of reason for him to try and stop the 'Ere We Go!, since it's a "just in case" spell, and then play the roll-off game against my 2 other spells. I'd rather throw a boosted 'Eadbutt out there, and put more pressure on the Wizard (even if it is a bit unlikely to do any meaningful damage).

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
You are right, 'Ere We Go isnīt a big threat to him unless he makes it a threat. If weīre going for two snipes, then a 3 dice Boosted 'Eadbutt followed by 2 dice Boosted Brain Bursta should do it. 'Eadbutt should get past his 2DD, and Brain Bursta might not get enough power so we save it for last.

For character placement how about this? Great Shaman at the extreme eastern edge of the horde, BSB beside him, Champion beside the BSB. General at the north edge of the Black Orc unit, command in the middle. Night Gobbo Shaman on the eastern edge of his unit, champion beside him.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »
Roth, did you know he had a Witch Hunter in that Archer bunker before you trowed Eadbut in there?

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »
Yeah, the purpose of 'Eadbutt in that regard is to chew up that Opal Amulet save. I wasn't expecting to take him down, and both his Wizards are in there, so they're protected and there's not a whole lot I can do about it.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »
It makes me wonder if those sniping spells aren't best spent trying to take out that Witch Hunter. With that MR(2) down you'll have a much easier time taking out the wizards, assuming the game goes long enough for you to try.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
Turn Ideas/Suggestios:
Charge Savage Orks into Archers. The Steam Tank will likely be held up by the Night Goblins and unable to come to their aid. You'll probably overrun into the larger Outrider unit. He'll loose a lot of chaff and firepower. After you pummel them in his turn you can reform to face him for you next turn.

Setup Black Orcs to kill knights when they come back on. Probably overkill but they need to die.

Launch the fanatics from charging NG1 as a screen between their flank and the Greatswords. Make them pay for that semi-inevitable flank charge.

Remaining warmachines focus on Knights and Inner Circle in that order, assuming they can see them. If not, start milling those Greatswords.

NG2 tries to Swift Reform and begins moving toward the right. They can setup for a counter charge or support for the Savage after they do their job. Maybe fling some desperate arrows into some archers.

Magic should try to buff/eliminate the Witch Hunter. Without the MR(2) you can, hopefully, snipe a wizard or two. Plus, that guy can apparently shoot and thus needs to die and quickly.

If all goes as planned, you'll be prepared to defend your backfield, severely lowered his mobility, and reset your battle line in a south-easterly direction by the time his turn ends.

Hell, now may be the right time to call a Whaaaaghh! if orcs have such a rule (more familiar with 40k orcs, only played against fantasy twice but their generals were terrible.)

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »
We canīt call a WAAAAGH because the warboss isnīt charging this turn. Otherwise that would have been cool.

I agree with most of librisrogue's suggestions, there are a few exceptions though. I think Doom Divers and eastern chukkas should target the knights in the east, followed by Lobbas against the mass of infantry in the south. If you target the archer detachment north of the halberdier detachment, then it should hit something juicy wherever it scatters.

I assume the night gobbos will fail the long charge, and if they do, Itchy Nuisance against the Steam Tank is a priority to reduce its movement to a 1d6. After that I think we should try to snipe the Wiz Lord again. The stronger snipe spell 'Eadbutt, only works against wizards, so killing the Witch Hunter will take two turns at least. On the plus side, if the savages gets into combat, that gives us a +1S on both snipes. Hand of Gork might be an option, in this case moving NG2 forward to use their fanatics against the Outriders.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 03:42:06 AM »
Agreed, Forumite. I'll try to make the Knight unit flee with the first Chukka shots, and then try to finish him off with the Doom Diver (sadly, one of them can't shoot this turn).