home

Author Topic: Using 2 x lvl2. Lore choices Halp!  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Mortim

• Members
Using 2 x lvl2. Lore choices Halp!
« on: May 24, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
Hi,

I ll be using 2 x lv2 (pls skip the lv4 debate here :-D) and I like 1 Shadow Mage and 1 Heavens combo the most for these reasons:

Shadow and heavens have good debuff and buff options together.

Heavens have low casting value+ decent range while shadow have high casting value and decent range. So 1 big spell + 1 lower spell could work with average Dice pool.

Both have some scary damage spells and usefull default spells.

So my question is, what and why would you chose as lores for 2 lv2s?

thanks,

Mortim

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
Re: Using 2 x lvl2. Lore choices Halp!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:02:29 AM »
When it comes to lvl2s it seems to me that one should deeply consider the signature spells available to the lores. To that end, I'd put some serious though into a Lore of Beasts wizard and a Lore of Metal one. Both of these units have awesome signature spells, though the metal wizard is sometimes subjective. When the enemy isn't packing high armor units metal does pack two great buff spells (Enchanted Blades and Glittering Robes) as well as an impressive whole unit damage spell (Final Transmutation) that has a fairly low casting value.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
Shadow, Heavens, Beast are probably the 3 best signature spells.  You can cast the first two lores with 2 dice, 3 dice with Beast. 

If you know you are facing a High Armor save opponent, Libis' recommendation for Metal is solid, though it will require 3 dice.

Guess it depends on the point level and event?
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:27:01 PM »
I think part of the answer to your question lies in the composition of the rest of your army.

You are making a conscious decision to not go with a Lvl4, so you are going to have to get the most out of your 2x Lvl2s.

Your Shadow and Heavens combo will be good for your troops, but you will not have many nuking options to clear out chaff/diverters so you will have to cover that duty with other parts of your army.
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Mortim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
Hi thanks for the replies!

Yes, my lord choices are taken already by the not so popular Griffin GotE+ AL on Altar! So I am left with 2 levels 2s, I am even considering having 3 level 1s instead (cost the same) ... It hurts the dispels abit more, but give more channels and 1 more lore, but 1 less spell

- Anybody tried 3 levels 1 only?

I am new to 8th ed so I still use lots of Bs shooting lol... Well I Think bs shooting still has a Place (clear chaffs, present threat/area denial, remove ranks, help remove steadfast, shoot warmachines since 6s Always wound, hunt lone characters, shoot unarmored monsters, or even remove a hydras regen with Soulfire+shooting combo, so many options realy...) and besides people realy tend to make strategical mistakes when you shoot down a few of their expensives Knights for example... Many players cant resist charging say 10 handgunners in revenge instead of doing something better strategicaly!

So many choices is half the fun, it feels like a new game for me :icon_biggrin:

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 04:14:46 PM »
Hi thanks for the replies!

Yes, my lord choices are taken already by the not so popular Griffin GotE+ AL on Altar! So I am left with 2 levels 2s, I am even considering having 3 level 1s instead (cost the same) ... It hurts the dispels abit more, but give more channels and 1 more lore, but 1 less spell

- Anybody tried 3 levels 1 only?

Well, now that you mention the WAltar in your list, you can never go wrong with some extra Light mages in the mix.  The Banishment off the WAltar gets nasty when at Str 5 to 7 depending on how many light wizzies you have!
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
If you're seriously considering 3 Lvl1s then I think you only have two reasonable options available. The first, as HHG suggested, is to go with Lore of Light and have then there to buff the banishment of the War Alter (an their own if any of them roll it up.) The other option is Lore of Fire. Here the signature spell (great for clearing chaff) and the Lore Attribute come into their own, allowing one wizard to throw out a fireball and the following wizard to pretend to be a Lvl2-4 when he repeats to process.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Mortim

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
Hmm, that are realy good ideas!

Burn the Witches, kinda fit the Arch Lector theme and I even use a witch hunter in the army with ruby ring of rhuin....

This makes me Think of this... So If i get through the ruby rings fireball first! Will the 3 other fire wizards benefit from their lore attribute on the same target that got burned by the ring?

- This possible synergy could maybe make a real barbeque of witches!?

or maybe go with 2 light wizards and 1 fire wizard if the Ruby ring trick works that way?

I like your ideas!  Either go light, or fire or maybe a mix... Any ways Witches are going to burn!

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »
Bound spells still benefit from the Lore Attributes so if you get off the Ruby Ring of Ruin and then three more spells from the wizards then all of the wizards would be +d3 to casting.

Great fun.

Offline Mortim

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:45:57 PM »
Hmm this looks like an interesting combo, thank you for info :-)

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »
On a side note, if you're investing on getting that many spells off in a single phase then please consider getting a hurricanum. You'll need all the power dice you can get. Also, power stones. In closed lists you can work yourself down to 1-2 power dice, hopefully draining the opponent of dispel dice, then BAM! powerstone plus lore attribute plus 1-2 dice equals BIG fireball.

Offline Mortim

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »
Ah nice!

I havnt got very familiar yet with all the new arcane toys, been using a scroll so far :-)

I read a battle report on Another site... the guy had 0 wizards, but he had  an Arch lector Altar + both Wagons and he managed to pull off some nice magic phases. His reasoning was the Wagons cost like wizards, have a garanteed spell, have 5 wounds and a save (no need for wiz bunker), Always LOS (large target) and have undispellable buffs 6" wide... and the wagons can actualy help win in Close combat with impact hits and some attacks. I thought it was kinda creative!

Anybody tried substitute wizards for wagons? Or maybe 1 wizard+scroll and rest on Altar and wagons?

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
The problem here is that a good opponent will really hurt you on their offensive magic phase. One Lvl 4 is better than 1 extra die for each spell cast. So, someone with Heavens, for example, will cast 3-4 spells in a phase, and crush your defense. And they don't need a ton of dice to do this. Maybe 6 or so.

That said, I like the idea of the non-traditional approach. One extra die for offense and defense can help, certainly. The wagons are more durable, although they are also nice targets for enemy artillery. I'd love to hear how this works, if you try it.
Bring out the mop and broom sammay.  I want to see you clean this house.

Offline Mortim

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 09:01:28 AM »
Hm, I will stay with conventional approach for a while. I am not realy sold on the wagons myself :icon_wink: mostly because of the lack of + 4 to dispel/cast if going with 0 wizards.

Btw,any of you using the 70pts Book of Ashur?

What are the good Arcane items after the obvious dispel scroll?

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »
Earthing rod is solid.

As for the three level ones discussion, three light dudes makes the banishment from the Walter serious business, as it's a bound spell you can toss a load of dice on it and not worry about the miscast, 2d6 str 7 hits hurt (or 3d6 if cast on demons/undead!)

You must be playing at a pretty high points levelnif you un both Griffon general and a war alter? Lvl 4 sounds even more of a necessity then IMO

Offline Mortim

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
Hmm,

You guys gonna call me crazy... I am experimenting with Griffin Lord (around 300 pts) and W.Altar (around 300pts) in a 2500pts list. So no Wizlord at all, thats why i wanted advice on 2xlv2s...

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »
Hmm,

You guys gonna call me crazy... I am experimenting with Griffin Lord (around 300 pts) and W.Altar (around 300pts) in a 2500pts list. So no Wizlord at all, thats why i wanted advice on 2xlv2s...

You'll do fine, right up until his magic phase, especially one when he's got like 4 extra PD.....
But we just ran a Battle Rep where 2 Level 2's held there own vs a Lvl 4 Necromancer, so things can work out.  It's all about figuring which spells to let through.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.