home

Author Topic: White Dwarf Presents: Chronicles of War  (Read 4804 times)

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
White Dwarf Presents: Chronicles of War
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:36:17 AM »
Somebody tell me about it and is it worth owning?
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
Re: White Dwarf Presents: Chronicles of War
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »
Is this the one?

ebay item link

Unless you're an avid reader of old (4th ed.) WD battle reports then I'd have to say it's not worthwhile.

IIRC it was released near the end of 4th ed. and included:

A book of WD battle reports, a couple of card buildings and a bucket load of new magic items to herohammer your characters up to an even more ludicrous degree.

I'm quite surprised that boardgamegeek don't have a writeup on it.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
I was googling as well and can't find any real breakout of it, weird!
I bought back in the days, mainly because of the buildings it included  :D
Though if you played back in the days it has some really fun articles to read.
Maybe I should try and add to Lexicanum or something (or anyone else, who feels up to it).

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »
White Dwarf Presents: Chronicles of War (1995) is a compilation of White Dwarf tactical articles and Battle Reports of the 4th edition, many of which feature the Chaos Dwarfs on one side or another. Tactics articles were mainly on flying monsters, war machines, deployment and cavalry types. Included was an early narrative campaign form WD181-186, starting with The Gathering of Might - a massive multiplayer battle between an Orc, Goblin, and Chaos Dwarf host against an Empire-Wood Elf alliance - followed by a series of linked battles:the Orcs and Goblins moved against Talabheim, where they were defeated by the Emperor Karl Franz; the Chaos Dwarfs successfully besieged Wurtbad and sacked the town. A special scenario "Death in Drakenmoor" dealt with their attempt to escape with their loot.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 12:26:17 AM »
Hope Wally feels this is better late than never.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:55:15 AM »
At least he was still active on warhammer-empire this year.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
True.  And he'll be back.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
White Dwarf Presents: Chronicles of War (1995) is a compilation of White Dwarf tactical articles and Battle Reports of the 4th edition, many of which feature the Chaos Dwarfs on one side or another. Tactics articles were mainly on flying monsters, war machines, deployment and cavalry types. Included was an early narrative campaign form WD181-186, starting with The Gathering of Might - a massive multiplayer battle between an Orc, Goblin, and Chaos Dwarf host against an Empire-Wood Elf alliance - followed by a series of linked battles:the Orcs and Goblins moved against Talabheim, where they were defeated by the Emperor Karl Franz; the Chaos Dwarfs successfully besieged Wurtbad and sacked the town. A special scenario "Death in Drakenmoor" dealt with their attempt to escape with their loot.
Which month did it get released?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 10:52:13 PM »
December, AFAIK.

Offline KevinC

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 02:10:19 AM »
The supplement also had a bunch of new magic items included in the set.
"These princes try to tell me how to wage war, and seek to advise me on how best to rule my people. They are dolts and dullards, and it is a wonder that with such cretinous commanders your armies ever held against mine."
– Malekith, Phoenix King of Ulthuan

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 03:16:49 AM »
I actualy ended up purchasing it- it's an intresting time capsule, has little other value.

The included card buildings are nice... Ultimately I deemed it not worth owning.
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 06:09:26 AM »
I think I had it and pulled it apart.

I used to have a lot of white dwarves, and i went through an exercise about 10 years ago where I pulled them all apart, and sorted articles into categories - race specific articles, campaigns, battle reports, background, terrain articles, etc. and then put them into clear plastic sleeve folders.

So I cant tell which WD the article came from, but I have a lot of content.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.