home

Author Topic: Arabian Nights  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Benedictus

• Members
Arabian Nights
« on: May 23, 2004, 12:48:24 PM »
Inspired by several discussions on the 'net and by some fan-made army lists for the lesser-known human kingdoms (Norsca and Araby, for example), I've decided to put together this admittedly brief article for creating a tournament legal Araby army. There are two variations on the Arabians:

• A standing army of the city-states of Copher, Lashiek or Martek led by an Amir or Sultan and supported by mounted slave warriors. This army is based on the DoW list, the Empire army book and the Kislev Allied Contigent rules.
  • A 'nomadic peoples' army, representing the scattered nomads of the deep deserts, who are nominally part of the mainstream armies of the city-states, but are in effect autonomous. These people have fought against the Tomb Kings for millenia. Their list will be based on the Kislev Allied Contigent list.[/list:u]

All my recommendations for these lists are my opinion only; feel free to ignore me if you desire.  :winky:

These armies are not designed to be game-winners and many options which make up the strengths of the base lists are removed- such as plate armour and pikemen. They are also probably not truly effective in terms of meshing with accepted background: this is due to my desire to create a list you can take to a tournament or a club without anyone having objections. If you'd prefer to use a list that's customized, and therefore requires your opponent's consent, try here.

I will attempt to show pictures of suggested miniatures, either byGames Workshop, should they have suitable miniatures available or Wargames Foundry if not. I've had surprisingly little luck finding miniaturs that match the saracen appearance of arabian armies, but will endeavour to do so as I update this article.

Finally, I'd like to point out that I'll be posting this article in a series of posts, for convenience of reading as much as for my poor fingers. This means it may take a few days to get out completely- please be patient.

Any typos, grammatical errors or glaring inconsistencies in this post or those following are the fault of tiny pixies and are not the work of this author.
Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline Benedictus

• Members
City-State Forces
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 02:33:31 PM »
This list uses Warhammer Armies: Empire as a base. Therefore, any special rules that apply to units, characters or weapons to that army also apply to this. This means that handguns are Empire Handguns, Dogs of War can only be taken as Rare choices unless stated otherwise and leadership values suck.

Magic Item restrictions and re-naming are left up to the player. You can take a Runefang if you like, but rename it. I'm not going to claim you can't take it, because that's just mean. I'm already not going to let you take a lot of other things- and remember, folks, this is my opinion. Feel free to make up your own list if you don't like mine. :)

----------------------

Lords:

Amir:

The rulers of the city-states of Araby, these are powerful, determined men. They are civilised and polite, yet decadent by Old World standards. They see slavery as a means to an end, and ruthless power-mongering as the norm. Most are worthwhile warriors, although many lounge in perfumed palaces for much of the time.

Amirs 'count as' Elector Counts.

Restrictions: No Full plate armour. Heavy armour is only recommended if leading heavy cavalry (Ghulam or Mamluk cavalry), not if on foot. All other choices are ideal, particularly pistols and handguns.

Sorcerer Lord:

As Hieronymous of Nuln wrote in his History, Araby is a land of powerful wizards, with the power to command djinns, raise dust storms and create powerful fireballs from the heavens. While these men are fewer than the venerable scholar believed, they do exist, and are fearsome men.

Sorcerer Lords 'count as' Wizard Lords.

Restrictions: I'd recommend only the following Lores: Fire, Metal, Heavens, Light. The Arabians are skilled scientists, astronomers and scholars, which justify the lres of Metal, Heavens and Light, while Fire simply makes sense of a desert people.

The Arabian merchant model makes for a suitable enough Sorcerer Lord or Amir.

The Baluchi swordsmen of the Foundry make for fine warrior leaders, particularly the one on the far right, in the dark robes.

----------------------

Heroes:

Captain:

While not as fiercely stubborn as the Sheikhs of the desert nomads, the captains of an Amir's armies are strong warriors noted for their courage and skill with a sabre.

A captain is identical to the captain of an Empire army.

Restrictions: Again, plate armour should not be taken, and heavy armour should be restricted to cavalry leaders only. Halberds are the equipment of the militia, and a great warrior would disdain their use.

Master Engineer:

The scholars of Araby, while not as famous as their Imperial counterparts, are nonetheless skilled with elixers, powders and arithmetic and their blackpowder is as potent as that of a Nuln-trained engineer.

Identical to the entry in the Empire list.

Restrictions: It's odd that a Master Engineer cannot take regular pistols or handguns, as I wouldn't recommend that an Engineer of Araby take these experiments of the northern Empire. On the contrary, I don't see why Arabians wouldn't have developed or traded for these, so take what you like. :)

Sorcerer:

See Sorcerer Lord, above.

Sheikh:

The warriors of the desert are fierce and cunning. With curved sabres and black robes, they cut off all hope for those opposing them. Swift in the attack, stubborn in the defence, they are like the sands they make their homes in. They do not like fighting alongside the city-state rulers, considering them weak an ineffective, and thus fight only alongside their own people. Likewise, the Amirs of the city-states consider the nomads primitive and wouldn't want anything to do with them anyway!

Sheikh's 'count as' Boyars in the Kislev list. There are no restrictions on them, as they (obviously) fit into the 'fast cavalry' look they so richly deserve.

----------------------

Monsters:

As I'm not entirely conversant on Arabian monsters, I don't see any reason why Pegasi and Griffons couldn't make sense in an Arabian army. They're pretty standard monsters, really.

----------------------

Core:

Yes, use the detachment rules. Why would only the Empire have developed them? :)

Halberdiers:

While the halberd is unpopular in Araby, local militias, mostly recruited from working class journeymen and merchant's sons, wield polearms in battle. They're not terribly effective, but are cheap and can be quickly raised for war.

As the Empire army list.

Restrictions: No shields.

Spearmen:

Unlike the spearmen of the Empire, who are often regarded as the poorer warriors, the spearmen of Araby are skilled, disciplined warriors who wear large shields for protection and go lightly armoured, so as not to bake in the oppressive heat.

As the Empire list.

Restriction: Always have shields.

These could make decent spearmen. For a greater look at the range, go here.

For shields, you couldn't go much wrong with the large oval shields used by the Tomb Kings, or take a look around the Foundry website. I'm sure there are suitable shields there.

Handgunners:

The Arabians are highly skilled scientists, and produce the finest blackpowder not from the forges of Nuln, and the handguns to accompany them. Effective in battle against nomadic bandits and undead raiders alike, they are present in nearly every state army of the Sultanate.

As the empire listing.

Restrictions: The marksman may only have a brace of pistols, as the finer pieces of weaponry are reserved for engineers.

These

or these

would make fairly decent handgunners. Otherwise, one could try converting old Tallarn Desert Raiders, although that would prove challenging.

Archers:

In the desert, it is often only your wits, speed and skill with a bow that provides dinner. In the army, the same skill can be used to slay a lightly armoured foe, and it is for this reason that many archers are used in Arabian armies.

As the Empire book.

Hashishin:

Inspired by the holy call to war, Hashishin train for night raids and stealth attacks against infidels and northern barbarians that seek to sully the soil of Araby.

'Count as' Huntsmen.

Note: These are religious fanatics used by the Islamic nations of Terra's Middle Ages, and the word eventually developed into 'assassin.' While one could argue that Dark Elves would therefore make a better Araby army, with the ability to take assassins and Shades (who are perfect Hashishin), I prefer the Empire, Kislev and DoW rules overall. *shrug*

Nomadic Horse Archers:

The nomadic tribes the dwell in the deeper deserts of Araby are famed horsemen- many travel the Old World as mercenaries, where they are the equal of Kislevite nomads. On their own soil, however, they excell, and this is why the Amirs often seek to recruit them into their own armies.

Nomadic Horse Archers 'count as' Ungol Horse Archers in the Kislev Contingent rules.

Note: While there were several kinds of light cavalry used by the medieval Egyptians (the army I based these lists from), armed with spears, or simply swords and shields, I feel that these rules capture the essence of them without requiring one to use precious rare slots on Dogs of War light cavalry. I'll still be including them in the Rare choice, but I see no reason you couldn't simply use these lads for the same purpose.

Go here for some suitable light cavalry models.

0-1 Ghulam Bodyguards:

The elite slave-guard of the Sultan and the weathliest Amirs, these men are heavily armoured in expensive full plate, imported from the lands of the Empire and ride upon caparisoned steeds. They are used as shock cavalry, and many invaders are surprised at the sight of such soldiery, when they are used to the light cavalry of the nomads.

These are as effective as Knightly Orders, and can be upgraded to Inner Circle status- this would effectively mean that they are the personal guard of the Sultan, so don't get them killed! Also, don't try to fill up any critical core choices with this unit. It's fine according to the rules, but these guys should be uber rare. Remember that.

Note: The Ghulams were an actual tribal people of Terra, as were the Mamluks mentioned later. I'm using their actual named because I've not the foggiest what GW has called the peoples of Araby. If anyone does know, please tell me.

----------------------

Special:[/b]

Artillery:

I'm not going to go into detail either fluff or rules-wise here: Take Great Cannons and Mortars alike. Both make sense for the technological Arabians, and so long as the crew are dressed appropriately, will look fine.

For guns that look different from the Imperial, try here.

Mamluk Light Cavalry:

The ruling peoples of Araby, the Mamluks have several brands of cavalry, which are mostly used in support of the infantry in this age of enlightenment. These light cavalry are the last remnant of these people as horse nomads, and are armed with pistols.

Mamluk light cavalry 'count as' pistoliers.

----------------------

Rare:

Naptha Throwers:

Naptha, a sticky, flammable substance, seems to only be found in Araby- and it's deadly effective. It sticks to armour, eventually eating through it, and water is no defence. Small, skirmishing units of warriors protect Arabian flanks, and most men refuse to go near them.

Naptha Throwers 'count as' DoW Duellists with pistols.

Note: Pistols aren't nearly as effective as naptha should be, but what are ya gonna do? :)

Mamluk Cavalry:

Skilled and disciplined, the cavalry of the ruling classes of Araby are considered some of the finest in the world, if not quite as indestructible as Bretonnian and Imperial cavalry units. They are faster, however, and far more manoeverable.

Mamluk cavalry 'counts as' DoW Heavy Cavalry, but cannot take barding as an option.

Nomadic Cavalry:

The nomadic tribes the dwell in the deeper deserts of Araby are famed horsemen- many travel the Old World as mercenaries, where they are the equal of Kislevite nomads. On their own soil, however, they excell, and this is why the Amirs often seek to recruit them into their own armies.

Nomadic Cavalry 'count as' DoW Light Cavalry, and have full options available. However, I'd hesitate about taking bows, as the Nomadic Horse Archers earlier in the list can take them!

Note: While there were several kinds of light cavalry used by the medieval Egyptians (the army I based these lists from), armed with spears, or simply swords and shields, I feel that the Ungol Horse Archer rules capture the essence of them without requiring one to use precious rare slots on Dogs of War light cavalry.

Go here for some suitable light cavalry models.

Ghazi Infantry:

In the north, when one loses everything one becomes a fanatic and strides to war. In Araby, it is a religious awakening that prompts such behaviour, and an uncommon one. Nonetheless, many still take up arms against infidels, particularly since the ancient crusades.

Ghazi Infantry 'count as' Norse Marauders with shields. They cannot take any other option.

----------------------

That's it! I'm open to any suggestions, changes, fluff infomation, etc. Another list will be forthcoming, featuring nomadic archers (yay, I hear you cry), and camel warriors (counting as Winged Lancers). It'll pretty much be the Kislev list, but with some fluff to explain away the Glorious Charge rule, for example.

I hope you enjoyed. The next part should be up in a day or two.

Offline Hagen_von_Loewenstein

• Members
Arabian Nights
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 02:54:19 PM »
That's some pretty good effort and beyond that one of the better takes on an araby list I've seen so far for sure.  :happyjoy:

Offline Benedictus

• Members
Nomadic Warriors of the Deserts
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 07:32:43 AM »
These noble people have dwelled in the deserts for millenia. Long before the Empire arose, they were here. When Nagash cast his spell of death into Nehekhara, they were here. When Settra the Unperishable awoke from his sleep of death, they were enslaved. These resolute warriors and vagabonds refuse to accept their fate, and are renowned for fighting against impossible odds. Many have travelled overland as mercenaries, others are enslaved by the Mamluk rulers of Araby. Most dwell in the tents and oases that have been their homes for centuries, and will fight fiercely against those who try and take them away.

As with the city-state list, I've used real-world names for the tribes of Araby- in this case, the Bedouins, famous for their camel warriors and nomadic ways, even in the 20th century.

Heroes:

Sheikh:

The warriors of the desert, the Bedouin, are fierce and cunning. With curved sabres and black robes, they cut off all hope for those opposing them. Swift in the attack, stubborn in the defence, they are like the sands they make their homes in. Their leaders, the Sheikh's, are fiercer, nobler and braver than their comrades- great men among great men.

Sheikh's 'count as' Boyars in the Kislev list. There are no restrictions on them, as they (obviously) fit into the 'fast cavalry' look they so richly deserve.

----------------------

Bedouin Horse Archers:

The nomadic tribes the dwell in the deeper deserts of Araby are famed horsemen- many travel the Old World as mercenaries, where they are the equal of Kislevite nomads. On their own soil, however, they excell. Those armed with bows are among the youngest and least battle-worthy of the nomads, and prefer to keep their distance from melee. For this reason, they prefer to ride upon swift horses rather than the camels their heavily armed elder cousins ride.

Nomadic Horse Archers 'count as' Ungol Horse Archers in the Kislev Contingent rules.

Note: Unlike in the city-state lists, these are best used simply as horse-mounted archers. The special and other core choices are melee-based cavalry, and I believe that in this army, spear-armed DoW light cavalry is suitable.

Bedouin Camel Riders:

The warriors of the nomad peoples ride upon foul-tempered beasts called 'camels' that can travel for days without food or water, and stink terribly. Foes unused to these foes often panic when attacked by the odd creatures, particularly horses, which hate the smell of the beasts.

Bedouin Camel Riders 'count as' Kislev Winged Lancers. The Glorious Charge special rule accounts for the reaction of those unused to camels- which should be most opponents. :)

The miniatures below, part of the Foundy India range, make for good camels, although the riders are armed with muskets, not lances. I'm sure that could easily be remedied by a skilled modeller, though.

----------------------

Special:

Bedouin Noble Cavalry:

The most skilled of the nomads often form into elite regiments on the field, led by a respected champion, and ride upon the vicious camel steeds favoured by their people. These warriors are often the equal of foreign knights, especially when their champion is armed with a pistol stolen or bartered from the northerners!

Bedouin Camel Riders 'count as' Kislev Gryphon Legion. The Glorious Charge special rule accounts for the reaction of those unused to camels- which should be most opponents. They may not fight as mercenaries, but their champion can (and should- it's neat!) take the pistol allowed to him.

----------------------

Rare:

Bedouin Light Cavalry:

It is not always the younger sons of the tribe that ride upon horses- some cannot afford camels, and certain tribes even prefer the use of horses. Even those tribes with many camel riders may use horse riders, lightly armed and armoured as forward scouts and flanking forces.

Nomadic Cavalry 'count as' DoW Light Cavalry, and have full options available. However, I'd hesitate about taking bows, as the Bedouin Horse Archers earlier in the list can take them!

----------------------

A final note on the Regiment of Renown, Al'Muktar's Desert Dogs: They make a most suitable choice for either of the army lists I've detailed here, but they're expensive for their purpose. While I heartily recommend the miniatures (seen here), I don't recommend you take them, if only for strategy reasons.

Coming up next: Sample army lists!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Arabian Nights
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 09:57:29 AM »
I'm not going to claim you can't take it, because that's just mean.

:largh:  

Excellent work! You've really put a lot of thought into all this, and the results are very good. I think the inclusion of camels as winged lancers is quite clever, though it does make them a bit too fast (and really, the glorious charge should only work against horse cavalry).

Instead of pegasi, which are too Greek, why not have flying carpets? There's even a very old citadel model of an Arabian wizard riding one. Also, you could do with Djinns in there somewhere to up the fantasy content - maybe as DoW ogres? I'm not to keen on the griffon, which I think is also Greek - maybe a Roc instead?

Looking forward to more. :biggriin:
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
Arabian Nights
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 12:30:25 PM »
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
Excellent work! You've really put a lot of thought into all this, and the results are very good.

Thank you. It's good to be appreciated. I've been hanging about the forums, hoping someone would notice my little effort and praise me for it.  :biggriin:  Seeing as this was so successful, I'm considering a Norscan theme for my next try.

I think the inclusion of camels as winged lancers is quite clever, though it does make them a bit too fast (and really, the glorious charge should only work against horse cavalry).

I had to work with what I had. There was no other way to get core choice medium cavalry. When I originally thought up the list in my head, I thought glorious charge only applied to Griffon Legion- so they were to be camels, the rest were to be horses.

However, camels did freak out infantry that weren't used to them as well, just not as badly as horses. If I was writing a made-up list, I'd leave the glorious charge as it is and have them cause fear to horse-mounted troops. I'd also have them M 7, so you're also correct on that point.

Alas, the sacrifices we must make for 'count as,' yes?  :winky:

Instead of pegasi, which are too Greek, why not have flying carpets? There's even a very old citadel model of an Arabian wizard riding one.

Yes, I did consider that. The problem? How do you justify a flying carpet being able to attack?  :tongue:  Perhaps I could suggest 'Flying Carpetmen' which 'count as' the Birdmen of Catrazza? If I were able to use the Bretonnian lists instead of the Empire lists, I could use Pegasus Knights...but then I couldn't use DoW.

I think  :bonk: sums up the difficulties I had with this list.

Also, you could do with Djinns in there somewhere to up the fantasy content - maybe as DoW ogres?

Yes, I considered that as well (great mind think alike...or is it "Idiots seldom differ?"  :largh: ), but I was opting for more of a 'human warriors' feeling to the army, similar to that of Kislev, the Empire and Bretonnia. But, as a 0-1 Rare choice only if you include a Sorcerer, they make pretty decent sense.

I'm not to keen on the griffon, which I think is also Greek - maybe a Roc instead?

Done. I'll post a new 'monsters' post soon, taking into account your ideas. I just couldn't think of any 'arabic' monsters- I think my brain froze. If you notice the times of the first two posts, you'll see why...

-----------

I appreciate the comments, folks! Keep 'em coming.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Arabian Nights
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »
How do you justify a flying carpet being able to attack

OK, you got me there. Maybe they could run people over? :biggriin: I suppose the Birdmen would work well then, but that still leaves the problem of what to use as a pegasus equivalent. Hey, maybe the carpet comes with its own Djinn that can appear when battle is joined? I don't know... :huuh:

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what other Arabic monsters there are...

I don't know if you have access to the 3rd edition Warhammer Armies, but my dubious memory tells me that there was some kind of Araby list in there. Since I haven't seen that book in years, I might be wrong. Anyway, if there was it might give you some ideas for alternate unit names (then again it might not, since the Empire and Bretonnian lists in that book tended to use real-world names more or less.

Why not do a list of renamed-for-the-theme magic items? Might be fun.

Seeing as this was so successful, I'm considering a Norscan theme for my next try.

Don't push your luck. :largh:
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
Monsters
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »
Thanks to Rufus Sparkfire for these ideas.

Monsters:

Roc:

Giant eagles, with wingspan that equals that of the mightiest Royal Pegasi in all Bretonnia circle the deepest deserts of Araby. The Bedouin tribesmen regard these giant beasts as sared demigods, and refuse to ride them into war. The Amirs and Sorcerers of the city-states have no such qualm, and will often pay vast sums for an egg or young Roc, to ride into battle. Once tamed they are loyal creatures, although the reins and harness required to ride them restrict their effectiveness in war.

A Roc is a giant eagle, but 'counts as' a Pegasi for all intents and purposes.

Phoenix:

How these magnificent, fiery birds do not destroy their riders is unknown, but their power is unquestionable. Only the wealthiest of Amirs can afford to ride one of these magnificent beasts, for they are extremely rare, and only found in the deepest parts of the hottest deserts. Taking the form of great, flaming Rocs, these magnificent birds are loyal unto death to their masters, and require no harness to fly. Anyone other than their rightful master touching them results in a terrible, flaming death, and in battle Phoenixes fight fiercely, with beak and claw.

A Phoenix 'counts as' a Griffon for all intents and purposes- and you should convert the creature to give it the justice it deserves. :)

----------------------

While note monsters, the following Rare choice in a City-State army is pretty darn close. :)

Djinns:

Turbaned men wielding great scimitars, these creatures of legend supposedly live in bottles, obeying the whim of their masters when summoned. The legends are relatively true- while unable to grant every wish, Djinns are powerful creatures, easily the equal of an Ogre in melee, although only sorcerers know the techniques to summon them.

Djinns 'count as' DoW Ogres, and have full equipment options open to them- I particularly recommend great scimitars. However, you can only take one regiment for every Sorcerer you have in your army, as someone needs to summon them.

I recommend you paint or model them appropriately to the Lore of the Sorcerer who summoned them- bronze tones for Metal or Fire Sorcerers, Bluish tones for Celestial or Light Sorcerers.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
<snip>
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Offline Cyric

• Members
Arabian Nights
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 06:27:47 AM »
Great  list, if we spend more time on it can be better but is has 1 problem. Is not official tournament acceptable because we don't use GW figures.  :( But the idea is great and we can move to modifications on the figures are provided by GW. I see that my table will be a battlefield after a big masacre (cut body parts etc)
Time to get my modelling books and my tools from the box!!!! :roll:

Offline Benedictus

• Members
Arabian Nights
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 08:24:03 AM »
Yeah, that is a problem. Someone suggested using High Elf miniatures with head swaps- the flowing robes work rather nicely, methinks.

If you do some conversions, please post pics! Thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline von Frundsberg

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Arabian Nights
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 07:46:23 AM »
Hi Benedictus,

I was really pleased to see your list as I have been getting some figs for an Arabian army together, and I would also like to thank Rufus Sparkfire for his valuable critique.

Several months ago I had come to the conclusion that an Arabian army would be one of the most useful armies to do for the general gamer and modeler.

If you are not too picky you could cover eras from before the time of Christ up to Indiana Jones with a bit of tweaking.

For comparison (except for magic) in the Warhammer Historical game book ‘Armies of Chivalry’ there is the Ottoman Turk list, and then there is the ‘El Cid’ book where the Christians battled the Muslims.

Later The ‘Holy Roman Empire’ (which the Warhammer Empire army is based on) battled the Ottoman Empire in the 15th and 16th centuries.

At our club I hope to be trying out your list in about 6 months or so, although I will be posting it on our club site much sooner.  At our club we can use non-GW models where needed – in fact for Warhammer Historical they suggest certain other manufactures for figs not made by GW.

I am not worried that an Arabian army is not a GW Warhammer Fantasy approved tournament army at present. There is just so much you can do with them – I can hardly wait to do the crusades with the Bretonnians painted up as the knights Templar.

For those of you who do colonial gaming you could do the Mummy Returns with some of these Arabic figs. plus the some of the Warhammer Tomb King figs.

For the Hollywood type movies with an Arabian component in them I can remember some of the following.

The Crusades, 1935, by Cecil B. DeMille

The Thief of Baghdad, 1940, directed by Ludwig Berger, Michael Powell & Tim Whelan
Won art direction, color cinematography, and special effects.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, 1958, with animation by Ray Harryhausen

Lawrence of Arabia, 1962, by David Lean

and  the Adventures of Baron Munchausen, 1988, by Terry Gilliam

Well Benedictus those were some of my favorites, and you may have some of your own.

von Frundsberg

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 11:48:11 AM »
You could try Artizan Designs which is run by ex-foundry designer Mike Owen.

He has a range of Moors which I think are quite fantastic, including spearmen, archers, crossbowmen, light cavalry, and guard cavalry...

for example...

and for £20 (the same price as the Chaos Marauder Horse boxed set, or 4 pistoliers) you get...
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline Kjarra

• Members
Arabian Nights!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 03:18:18 AM »
As my first post here, let me offer my warmest salutations on a job very well done.  Being a fan of mythology (and things Arabian in particular, of late) I'm glad to see the lands of Araby getting some justly-deserved attention.  Above and beyond the Dead Kings, that is....  Now, on to a few suggestions of mine own!

As far as Arabian myth goes, it's a bit difficult to find.  I suggest (naturally) the Thousand and One Arabian Nights as a source for possible material for monsters and ideas.  Granted the stories stretch in origin from India all the way to Spain, but it never hurts to have a peek.  Also, I'd suggest the book from Gurps:  Arabian Nights.  I'm not sure how applicable any of it is, but it has, hands down, the *BEST* bibliography for finding other Arabian myth and material I've ever seen.

In fact, it also offers a suggestion to the tricky "Greek Pegasus" problem.  In one of the stories, there is a tale of a prince who travelled to India upon a great statue, a stallion carved of onyx.  Whether it was mechanical or magical, the Flying Horse (or a variation thereof) has appeared in quite a few stories.  With that in mind, a pegasus becomes quite viable.

What Mighty Commander from Araby would *not* want to flaunt the wealth of his city and the prestige of his magicians, riding into battle upon a majestic, magical steed of living stone, carried aloft on a path of burning flame!

Hope these suggestions help.  Cheers, and fortune for future endeavours!

Kjarra