home

Author Topic: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - Thread Superseded!!!  (Read 109990 times)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise)
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2012, 04:19:15 AM »
Really happy you like them, TVI - your praise is high praise indeed!

I seem to find it much more interesting to convert models than to paint them - which is no good when trying to get an army done! Still, I have manged to knuckle down and complete a unit of Knights. This is a 6 x 2 unit, 10 Knights with the BSB and the TGM in there. Click for larger pics;

The two Knights in the center of the front rank are from another unit - I just put them there so there isn't a big space. That is where my TGM is going to go (no pics of that as it is my entry to this month's painting comp, and it is not finished!) It is a 50mm x 50mm based model, counting as the TGM and a regular Knight.

Here are a couple of pics the wife took; she wanted to have ones that were "cooler" in composition - they don't was as well as a display of the painting (which is workmanlike at best).

Next project is finish off a half-completed Count's Champ for my Greatswords, and finish the TGM for the painting comp.

Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - TGM COMPLETED!
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »
<big timpany percussion here>

DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM!

Today I finished my Templar Grand Master - Count Vladimir Hunyadi of Sylvania-in-Stirland, member of the Order of the Dragon by birth and now First Arch-Warpriest and Templar Grand Master of the Order of the Eightfold Cross of Melite, Champion of Myrmidia, Beloved of the Goddess, First Son of the Maiden and generally badass monkey-fighting, muddyfunstering melon-farmer.

I have been working on this model, on and off, for the last six years - I started the conversion back then (before I got married and before I moved to the USA!) and left it for several years untouched. Then, I finished the conversion about a year ago and left it alone AGAIN and then, inspired by the painting competition on this fine site, dusted it off, undercoated it and bought some new paints.

Behold as I take you upon a pictoral journey, culminating in the pictures of the final model! Come with me as we travel through a land of extreme numbers of pictures many of which are very similar! (Click for larger versions)

The basic model - Archaeon, with the 40K Emp Champ head, a Dragon Prince lance, a plastic wolf head and a plastic Knight plume.

The green stuff work on the cloak - I expanded the cloak with paws from a Space Wolf cloak so it was a "full" pelt - four paws, a tail and a head. There is a sterling silver jump ring used to hold the cloak on with the paw and wolf jaw, patterned after a Knight of the White Wolf model I once saw. I had the sterling ring left over after making a rosary - otherwise, I would have just used a bit of wire!

The beginnings of the barding - cloth covered with mail

Tiny crosses (3mm square) are cut from plasticard and glued in place, with a pin head used for the center of each. Yes, I am a masochist. Shown tacked in place in the middle pic is the shield I designed (based on the Jerusalem cross which is a cross made of crosses)

The model progressing (see in the background is a wolf zoid project I was working on ... and still am)

Plasticard squares shown with an American Quarter for scale (for UK folks, a Quarter is about the size of a 10p piece)

'tother side of t'dude, as they say in my home county

The completed model, seen from all sides.

The above picture, with notations of where the various pieces came from.

The basic painting done, before basing, decals on the banner (banner is gloss varnished at this stage), and the shield.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:18:44 AM by Darknight »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise)
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 03:23:29 AM »
And here are the pictures of the final, completed model - as usual, click for larger versions (I have gone for small thumbnails with a couple of selected images at the bottom reproduced with larger thumbnails).

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - TGM Completed!
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 05:13:48 AM »
extremely nice, good craftsmanship. steveb

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
Very ambitious and well executed :eusa_clap:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
 :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »
Wow, DK.  This stuff is fantastic!  That TGM was WELL worth the time you invested!  My only CC would be that you can't see the rider's head too well and a few spot highlights on the plume, horse headress's horns, and, perhaps, mane/tail would be welcome.

One more point which totally deserves recognition which, I confess to say, I missed on my first pass is the banner.  Not sure whether those are decals or miraculous paint strokes, but it looks ace.

And, finally, the real reason I went through the full-out reply window...

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
Fantastic work....but unfortunately the wrong base so you can never field him.... :engel:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2012, 01:53:11 PM »
unfortunately the wrong base so you can never field him.... :engel:

"Counts as" him and another dude. Unit filler. Don't actually play the game. Meh.

Take your pick :)

Wow, DK.  This stuff is fantastic!  That TGM was WELL worth the time you invested!  My only CC would be that you can't see the rider's head too well and a few spot highlights on the plume, horse headress's horns, and, perhaps, mane/tail would be welcome.

Yeah, the positioning of the head is tricky - I noticed that after a lot of the conversion work had been done. My defence; if you were fighting in a world where there are 50ft giants, would YOU want people to be able to see your head?

One more point which totally deserves recognition which, I confess to say, I missed on my first pass is the banner.  Not sure whether those are decals or miraculous paint strokes, but it looks ace.

Decals from the Witch Hunter's sheet, and letters cut individually from the Imperial Guard tank sheet. My freehand work is nowhere near good enough!

Thank you both!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:55:52 PM by Darknight »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »
 :icon_eek: Holy Moly !! awesome dude
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
The epicness of your work on that guy reminds me of the Chaos Dwarf mine project  8-).
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
Thank you both.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2012, 08:38:41 PM »
Congratulations, Darknight! Fantastic model, and an inspiring story of your work.

So much to look at! :eusa_clap:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »
Thanks, Maza!

I just got a new camera (free gift with my new PC) and I took this shot with it; it is of the whole army as it stands inside the little dark wooden glass-fronted unlit cabinet my army lives in until I can get around to getting something better to display it - so it has the brutality of a flash on it. Still, it shows the whole army and reveals the camera is not bad for free; click for larger image.

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
your GM conversion is madness!

and by madness I mean blindingly awesome.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
Warhammer is all about the crazy.

EDIT : And in a classic example of the crazy ... here is my latest conversion, a unit filler for my (as yet unmade) Amazonian hoplite spearwomen of a haruspica (female of haruspex - a medium who divines using the livers of sacrificial animals). She is based, fairly obviously, on the Asdrubael Vect SoB slave girl and is held aloft by Spartan War Altar bearers from Crocodile Games (and, as luck would have it, all the figures are sculpted by the same person despite being from different companies!) Click for larger image;

(She was originally part of a model I'd partially painted - hence the undercoat and red splashes.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:02:55 AM by Darknight »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - Don't Call It A Comeback!
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 02:47:34 AM »
No comment on the model with the bewbs? Am I not on the internet?

Anyway;

It seems like an age since I updated this blog and, in truth, it has been a while. I've not had much time to paint and so forth, but I sat down this weekend and worked through getting these models done - heavy-armored crossbows with pavaises. When I started building these, I was going to count them as Brazanga's Besiegers, but now I guess I'll just use them as crossbowmen. Click for larger image.

I should probably get some more pictures - you can't see all the sculpted chainmail they have on.

These are as modelled as they can right now - I need another 5 of the Mordheim arrows and quivers to complete them. Anyone have any they want to sell / trade?

• Members
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 08:05:45 AM »
Great boobs great shields!

Offline Simon W. K.B.

• Members
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »
Extremely well put together boob-mini. Will love to see the unit when you have created it=)

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 11:15:15 PM »
I may have to steal the bewb idea, I have that model, but haven't had a clue what to do with it.

I'm actually getting ready to scratch build a WAltar influenced by the VC Coven Throne, i might use her on it.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 11:49:23 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, guys,

Alleton; I took her right left arm off, because it is chained behind her. It comes off pretty cleanly and you can replace it - I used an arm from the Wargames Factory Amazons which fits in perfectly. Otherwise, she is going to be holding a dagger behind her back.

Offline Johnny-Crass

• Members
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 01:04:11 AM »
Now that is what I call a comeback!

I am loving the besiegers
And all the boys in the Stirland scene are in the basement huffing gasoline !
Staff member of Carpe Noctem

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - Crazy Minotaurs!
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »
Alright, dudes and dudettes - new pics of new things!

As my army is a knightly order crusade army, war machines need to be mobile. And, as I have a Greek theme to a lot of it, rather than make horse-drawn artillery, I'm going for a sort of "Leadbelcher" look, but with minotaurs. Each minotaur will be accompanied by two human loaders, with a small horse-drawn cart and a horse for them to ride so they can keep up with the faster minotaur.

I'm planning to make a cannon, a helblaster and a mortar. The cannon is going to be modelled as a huge flintlock rifle, being held at an angle by the minotaur while one of the humans loads the cannonball and the other primes the pan; the minotaur will be sighting with a large telescope.

The mortar will be held by a kneeling minotaur, with him loading the shell into the muzzle with his other hand. There will be a level and protractor on the side to measure the trajectory angle, and the loaders will be reaching out to light the touchhole and checking the angle with an abacus and calucation sheet.

The helblaster will be modelled as a sort of oversized repeater handgun, with the minotaur firing it from the hip with a "Say Hello To My Little Friend!" vibe. The loaders will be flinching away and loading another handgun, ready for the insanse cow-beast to let rip.

So! These are the plans! I am aiming to get these converted by the end of February and then paint them in March so I can enter them as three entries into the April painting competition (I have no interest in the Feb and Mar categories).

And here are the pictures! (Click for bigger ones);

The first thing I did was cut all the bits off the minotaur sprue, assemble the arms and bodies, and then do some dry fitting to see how they fit together and which parts could give me the result I needed. Obviously, only some arms would give me anything close to it - and none of them would give me exactly what I wanted (they tend to be pretty close to the body, and I needed a lot of arm positions which aren't "holding a hand weapon".) I assembled three piles of bits and a big heap of everything else .... you get a LOT of arms in that boxed set!

What you see above is an example of how I cut up the arms; I chopped it in half at the elbow and carved away plastic at the shoulder. Because of the way the minotaurs are constructed, the arms have no options in them - they go in a single position or not at all. What I did was carve away the shoulder of the arms, which allowed me to turn the arms very subtly. If I'd done it too much, it would have placed the arm in an unnatural position. You can make a small change in the position of the elbow too, and bend the wrist a little as well. Taken together, with careful choosing of the arm used, you can get almost any position.

I'm unjustifiably proud of this - it's a cannon-sized flintlock rifle. Not complete - it needs a trigger and the rear of the stock modelling out so it's wider; but, yes - it's a cannon-sized flintlock.

Here is the minotaur as he stands right now - I've modelled his arm to be holding the spyglass, and I've given him hooves rather than the silly feet they come with. Minotaurs should have hooves, damnit!

And here is the ugly machine-tool I call a hand holding the flintlock at the angle it will be held at, with the loader putting the cannon ball in place. He needs a hand weapon at his belt (I am going to give him an ax, and the other guy some kind of hammer to perform "maintenance" on the cannon) and a shield. I'm going to give the minotaurs handweapons and shields too, either slung on their backs or on the carts.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:58:22 AM by Darknight »

• Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - Crazy Minotaurs!
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »
Bonus points for the Dudettes!

And even more points for the fantastic conversion  :::cheers:::