home

Author Topic: Heavy Armored Crossbowman  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Uldakamedes

• Members
Heavy Armored Crossbowman
« on: July 16, 2018, 06:18:22 AM »
Hopefully, I'm posting in the right section  :-P . But my question is, does anyone know any companies that make Heavy Armored Crossbowman similar to the old Dogs of War Braganzas Besiegers? I have a mix of Wargames foundry and GWModels (ranging 4th edition to current)  in my army, so anything close to WGF range would be cool.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Heavy Armored Crossbowman
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:33:00 AM »
Perry Foot Knights 1450-1500 with crossbows from the Perry Mercenaries 1450-1500 box? You also get pavise shields from the Mercenary box. You can buy 1450-1500 commands per sprue, if you like to mix smaller amounts of figures/bits from the different boxes. The Mercenary command especially is useful, as the pavises are there. You can also get the sprues from a couple of internet sellers, if you want the rank-and-file knight bodies, the mercenary crossbows, and/or to add to the order useful stuff from other companies.

Perry whould be compatible with Foundry 28mm scale. Not so with GW 28mm scale (in my opinion), unless you mix with real DoW figures, which were more real scale 28mm than the Fantasy line.

-Z
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:45:19 AM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »
Only yesterday I was scouring the net for 'city militia' style crossbowmen for my Tilean Campaign. I also had my Perry sprues out to count the number of crossbow arms I had.

I have already made some Perry xbows (kitbashed with some GW crossbowmen arms) for the Compagnie del Sole:

In the end though I couldn't be bothered with more cutting and glueing and trimming of plastic, so I looked at metal alternatives.

I already have some Mirliton ...

The following pics being on their site, which I really like:

I looked at some of the slightly unusual 'Casting Room Miniatures' (accessed via the Wargames Foundry page)

But in the end I ordered some Perry Metals ...

Two packs, plus the Mirliton I already have, throw in some command, and I'll have a unit of 20.

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
I know none of those are particularly heavily armoured but it was a coincidence that you too were looking for Tilean type crossbowmen so I was spurred by your post to reveal to all my researches.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:23:58 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Uldakamedes

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 02:59:07 AM »
Perry Foot Knights 1450-1500 with crossbows from the Perry Mercenaries 1450-1500 box? You also get pavise shields from the Mercenary box. You can buy 1450-1500 commands per sprue, if you like to mix smaller amounts of figures/bits from the different boxes. The Mercenary command especially is useful, as the pavises are there. You can also get the sprues from a couple of internet sellers, if you want the rank-and-file knight bodies, the mercenary crossbows, and/or to add to the order useful stuff from other companies.

Perry whould be compatible with Foundry 28mm scale. Not so with GW 28mm scale (in my opinion), unless you mix with real DoW figures, which were more real scale 28mm than the Fantasy line.

-Z

The perry foot knights look perfect, 38 in a box is excellent because I need about 30 to make a unit for free guild Crossbowmen. I'm not too worried about the pavise shields I only really wanted armored crossbowman, the problem now is I'm having a hard time finding the crossbow arms sprues online.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:02:29 AM by Uldakamedes »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 03:37:39 AM »
You may try asking around if anyone has spare crossbow arms from building the kits with different configurations. Might take a while to get 30, though...

Padre, I recommend adding Front Rank to your future searches, if you haven't already looked at them previously. (Unfortunately in this case, they don't have any fully armoured crossbowmen - just light armour or breast plates. )

Offline Uldakamedes

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 04:16:11 AM »
You may try asking around if anyone has spare crossbow arms from building the kits with different configurations. Might take a while to get 30, though...

Padre, I recommend adding Front Rank to your future searches, if you haven't already looked at them previously. (Unfortunately in this case, they don't have any fully armoured crossbowmen - just light armour or breast plates. )

Sounds like it might be a pain to get this project off the ground at the moment haha. Maybe I might just buckle and pick up those Front Rank Mini's you mentioned to padre, they look pretty cool even if lightly armored. Do the banner carriers they sell come with the flag poles or do you purchase those separately?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
The Front Rank miniatures are nice (War of the Roses, rather than the Hundred Years war range). I had seen them, but was trying for something (a) more Tilean looking and (b) more in a 'standing around' or marching pose. I want to use figures for my campaign story photos as well as the games, see? What I wouldn't give for marching Tilean xbowmen.

If I had remembered them, and had taken proper notice of what Uldakamedes was asking about, I would have mentioned them in my piece. However, I am old and frail of mind, and I forgot first that he had asked re 'armoured' xbow, and second that I had seen the Front Rankers!

By the way (and again, not particularly helpful) there was a third set of Casting Room Miniatures which are slightly more armoured than the others - some leather, helmets and breastplate action!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:14:46 PM »
Apart from the Perry plastic Mercenaries, several Fireforge infantry and Lt. Cavalry boxes come with crossbows. Many arms are just lighly armoured, but some have at least mail sleeves.

These aren't commonly sold e.g. in ebay, but they must exist in numbers in people's bits boxes. Asking around in your area/country would likely bring up people who are willing to trade or sell for little. Two or three people would likely be enough to supply you with the crossbows.

2nd_City_Games sells the sprues separately. But there are usually only two or four crossbows per sprue.

Hope this helps. I'm thrilled to see the results, whichever route you take. :)

-Z

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »
Would GW dwarves be a source of armoured crossbow arms? Just a thought...

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 01:40:07 PM »
Could you use the armoured figures that come with the swordsmen kit or great swords box? That might work.
Great avatar by the way. 20 years ago, I wasted several hours on Warcraft II

Offline Uldakamedes

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
Could you use the armoured figures that come with the swordsmen kit or great swords box? That might work.
Great avatar by the way. 20 years ago, I wasted several hours on Warcraft II
I didn't think of using greatswords that might work as well not as armored but enough to look alright, ill have to look into it see how much it would be to source the bits, haha I loved WC 2 once in a blue moon ill crack it out and play.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
@Uldakamedes
I still have my old copy of WC2 [still have the instruction book too] but sadly it doesn't work on my current P.C [although I can build maps, using map editor I cant play them] I still have the damaged CD rom cover too which kids I used to babysit, 20 years ago put pokemon stickers on it

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
Nothing.

Here was a list of Perry plastic bits that I could trade, but in the end I decided to keep them myself. :)

-Z
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:13:25 PM by Zygmund »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »
In a sense, the pavise amounts to the same thing as a lot of armour.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
@Uldakamedes
I still have my old copy of WC2 [still have the instruction book too] but sadly it doesn't work on my current P.C [although I can build maps, using map editor I cant play them] I still have the damaged CD rom cover too which kids I used to babysit, 20 years ago put pokemon stickers on it

Me too. I have the expansion CD too. Neither work on windows versions higher than XP from what I can tell...
It saddens me - one of my favourite games ever, and an entry drug into Warhammer too - for me at least anyway.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.