home

Author Topic: Entransmission's Ostermark  (Read 2336 times)

Offline endtransmission

• Members
Entransmission's Ostermark
« on: December 22, 2022, 10:22:37 PM »
After many many years out of WFB (I think the last time I actually played was 5th edition!) and a bout of playing lots of Total War Warhammer 3, I decided now was a reasonable time to slowly start painting up an army in preparation for TOW... or to try and find some local players next year to try the Warhammer Armies Project rules. I always wanted an Empire army, but for some reason I has Dwarves back in the day. Slayers were obviously cooler to 14 year old me than ranks of floofy sleeved infantry, but the empire infantry being released by Highlands Miniatures at the moment have been inspiring. Given that TOW is hopefully introducing Kislev, I decided to go for Ostermark as the two regions tend to work closely together which gives plenty of scope for allies or counts-as going forward. They are also bordered by the Vampire Counts; which I've also been painting over the summer... so that's the main army colour scheme selected, which is nice as it's a good counter to the dark colours of the undead and I need something to alternate between.

I've started with a small unit of handgunners and an engineer to try out the colours. I've been using an old flagellant as a scale, and ended up printing these at 90% so they don't tower over any old models that I find or buy to bulk out the options. The photos aren't great as we're in the process of moving the house around... so fingers crossed the new lightbox will be better!

Colour wise, these are an experiment to see how much I can get done with contrast paints, with metals being the only non-contrast paint. So far, looking pretty good! Still need to go back and touch up the engineer's rifle as I missed the metal slippage before taking the photo.

The bases and magnets for the army arrived this morning, so part of the Christmas challenge is to create a pile of decorative bases for them all to go on so they rank up nicely. I've still not decided if they should have cobbled streets to go with my vampires, or woodland as a nice counterpoint to the yellow and purple colour scheme. Either way, I need to have a play with properly basing them.

To go with this there's the start of a spreadsheet of doom that lists everything assembled so far, and the planned acquisitions. While we've been moving rooms around I did manage to uncover some bits that I clearly acquired at some point in the past... including 6 empire knights, the Manaan's Blades command, some ooooold wizards, 10 plastic handgunners and a general!

There's also a nice selection of troops from the printer as well. 10 swordsmen, 10 archers and (so far) 16 halberds, including command, a BSB and a mounted Captain. All of these are bulk standard Highlands Miniatures prints. So far the halberds are probably the weakest as they are one of the earlier sets from them, so the posing has improved a lot since then. Still really nice though!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Entransmission's Ostermark
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 12:55:47 AM »
Welcome!

Ostermark purple and yellow is a strong painting scheme, and you've done great with the contrasts. The units will look gorgeous as you proceed.

Just recently learned that Highland Miniatures has practically the whole Empire modeled. Quite nice models. Modern, but not overly detailed.

Hope to see you update often and a lot!  :smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 02:18:25 AM »
Great job :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 12:26:41 PM »
Those look fabulous! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline endtransmission

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 02:37:17 PM »
Thanks! I hope you all had/are having a nice christmas break!

No real work got done on painting over the last few days as we've been away, but I have managed to still make a bit of progress none the less.

First up is the current army progress chart that I'm going to use to keep track of how things change over time... I'm notoriously bad at remembering to follow through on project ideas, so some form of visual queue that shames me into doing stuff is always good :D

This is mostly a just-for-fun/display army, but it'd be good to get pointers from people on where I should be headed anyway, just in case I do manage to get some games in!

You'll see on there that I've marked some Death's Head halberds as well as the regular ones. For these I've been playing around with Blender a bit and created some alternative heads and shields to help differentiate them from the regular ones. In-game... no difference at all, but it's a chance to introduce some variation in the colours through the elite unit. I hope to do this a lot by adding some of the WAP knights and halflings to the mix so it's not all yellow and purple. For the heads I found an interesting skull ring on Thingiverse and scaled it way down to make the mask

I've also applied the same skull to the front of a shield so that I don't have to go around freehanding these things!

Before the printer gets packed away to move offices, I also managed to squeeze out one last thing. A hellblaster and crew to add to the artillery battery (also Highlands Minis).

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 04:34:01 PM »
I like the tracking chart idea. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 07:58:43 AM »
Agreed. And I love the color scheme!

Offline endtransmission

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 08:54:21 PM »
I managed to decorate some bases for the gunners today, as well as finishing off the archers. That's two baseline units down. Next up are the normal halberds and some old school plastic knights that I found in my bits box while tidying up! The knights will be Osterknact to go with the overall army's composition, but I do eventually want to go through the WAP Knightly Order expansion and do some squadrons of any order that could be in the area

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 10:04:27 PM »
Looking very good! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Stefan_von_Kessel

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 07:36:25 PM »
Some great vibrant colours. Really stark and striking

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 12:19:21 PM »
Great job. Yellow is such a nightmare to paint

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 05:59:03 PM »
I managed to decorate some bases for the gunners today, as well as finishing off the archers. That's two baseline units down. Next up are the normal halberds and some old school plastic knights that I found in my bits box while tidying up! The knights will be Osterknact to go with the overall army's composition, but I do eventually want to go through the WAP Knightly Order expansion and do some squadrons of any order that could be in the area

beautiful bro  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 06:33:40 PM »
Like the archers! More, please!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.