home

Author Topic: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)  (Read 88396 times)

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2009, 05:24:19 PM »
Frederick nods to the knights at Leon's side, and the man would be rudely hefted to his feet as Frederick drew his sword.  "You're under arrest for murder.  Do you understand that, Tilean?"
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »
Stefan clapped his hands in delight. "An excellent machine, and now I see the true purpose of your roads. You could never get that monstrosity down a dirt track!" he exclaimed, while looking up at the sun, judging the time "Perhaps It is time for me to see what exquisite feast you have set for me" Stefan strolled past the General, making his way to the door, followed by a small army of servants.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
  • Be better then a man, join the waagh effort!
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2009, 05:31:11 PM »
    "TILEAN! TILEAN!?! Imbécil de espuma! I AM ESTALIAN! You mistake me fo' these Tilean dogs! NO!" Leon stands up, sending the papers flying and the ink pot rolling. The ink pot restes and ends its trip on the floor, sending ink everywhere.
Scream WAAAGH and let slip the Boars of war!

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »
Arathos sighed inwardly; this man thought of nothing but his stomach.  Luckily, he'd been prepared for this.  They made their way inside to their banquet hall, where indeed a lavish feast was waiting.  As they sat down, one of the servants huffed his way back to the kitchen.  He passed through the doors, and reached for a bottle of wine.
     "I cannot believe this!  The man who came here is as big as a cow!  At least!"  The cooks looked up at him, confused.
     "Man?  The General told ME he was bringing a crew of dwarven miners to eat, with monstrous appetites."  A steward handed a pair of wine bottles to the servant.
     "He told me elven traders were coming to drink, and as elves their thirst for wine was inordinately copious, and to have plenty on hand."  The men grumbled to themselves as wine and more food was sent out, to prevent the plates in the dining room from ever being empty.

Meanwhile...

Frederick raised his sword, the tip poking the underside of the Til- er, Estalian's jaw.  His knights moved to sieze the man's arms.  "Fine, my apologies.  Estalian, you're under arrest.  Will you come peacefully, or shall we gut you here?"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:34:16 PM by Toro_Blanco »
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
   Leon, growling angerly, tried to find the right words. "I Have done nothing! I do nothing! I have been here! Ask eh.. .. eh  Man at big table! Man of drink! He tell you! I do nothing!"

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »
The Walls of the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

Jochem peered through the spyhole in the sally port.

“I can see nothing … I mean, there’s no-one there,” he whispered to the man next to him. “Let’s open it and go now, and pray we get to them before they have time to reload.”

Tomas and two others began winding the handle of the windlass mechanism, and the iron grate began to lift. They had taken the precaution of oiling the mechanism so that no sound would be made. Considering that the mechanism had not been used in years, and the grate and its chains stood in a little ditch dug into the ground for concealment sake, then the oil was necessary, if only to get the rusted gears and chains moving.

Five minutes later and the grate was as open as it was going to get. The forty young men began crawling through it and assembling in the shadows of the ditch upon the other side. Jochem had taken his bearings from the wall above, and now began to move forwards toward what he hoped was the gap in the stormpoles he had espied. The rest followed him, swords, axes and spears in hand, moving as silently as they could. The lack of torches or lanterns did mean they stumbled here and there, tripped and faltered, but none of this distracted them, nor did the ominous dark of the night sky or the eery glow cast by the burning city behind them. They had other fears on their minds.

Suddenly Jochem halted, and once more whispered to Tomas,

“There, that mound – they made that. It’s one of their bastions, and there are two mortars emplaced upon it. Can you see the gabions, and the light of the match cord in a linstock?”

“I think so,” answered Tomas. “I do see something. Are you sure it is the right place?”

“As sure as I can be. Pass the word back, in one minute I shall yell ‘attack’ and we’ll rush them all at once.”

That minute was the longest minute Jochem had ever experienced. It amused him that he had not counted to sixty like this since he was a child at his petty school lessons. Once he had finished his counting he kissed the blackened blade of his sword and screamed his command.

Thirty yards away Luitpold von Jorgen snapped awake. He had been drifting off, which was not surprising considering the day he had had and the duty he was now about. What woke him was a shout, close by – at least certainly closer than the wall.

“Attack!”

Luitpold stood and looked over the edge of the ditch. For a moment he was confused – for there was no-one there. He could see the bastion upon which the battery sat, and he could see the ground between it and the walls. But no source of the shouting.

“Capitano, look,” came the voice of one of his duellists.

Luitpold followed the man’s gaze and saw a body of men rushing from the shadow of the walls towards, well … towards nothing. At least, not one of the bastions. They were, it appeared, charging towards a mound of earth, behind which stood one of the army’s wagons. An empty wagon, apart from the wagoner sitting upon it smoking his pipe.

“Tonto!” said the man next to him.

“Aye, and soon to be dead!”

Within moments Luitpold was leading his own band of men towards the flank of the sallying men of Mortensholm.

When they engaged with the foe, it was a bloodbath. The duellists were mercenaries of many battles’ experience, fighters of skill and vicious cunning. Jochem and his men were apprentices, journeymen, farmers and herdsmen, not only unskilled in swordplay but also confused by two things – the sudden onslaught from their flank and the fact that there seemed to be no mortars ahead of them.

Before even half of a quarter of an hour was up, thirty three of the sally party were dead, six were back inside the walls frantically closing the sally port, and one, Jochem himself, was lying still in a muddy ditch desperately trying not to move, praying to Myrmidia that he might escape and live to fight another day, to exact vengeance.

The goddess was not listening.

“Buenas noches, amigo,” came a voice from the darkness. Jochem felt the point of a blade at the back of his neck, sharp as a needle and already drawing a trickle of blood.

“Stand up,” added the heavily accented voice.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
((Power to the Estalians!))

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »
There are times when a man's emotions cause him to take leave of his common sense, his judgement, and his rationality.  During such times, half-suppositions, assumptions, and the like become iron-bound fact.  It was with such a mindset that Frederick had decided that this man, a foreigner wearing red and gold, was responsible for the slaughter.  It was possible he was wrong, of course, but that thought did not enter his mind.  His men dragged this fellow out into the street, despite his protests and the bartender vouching that he hadn't so much as left the tavern in two days.
     Of course, Frederick knew the slaughter happened before this man arrived in town, and that he led a band of soldiers on horseback like himself, so Frederick had reason to believe he was right.  Either way, he was not going to give this foreigner the benefit of a trial, or even a proper hearing.  Once they were in the center of the town, he turned to face him.  "You were west of here two days ago, and your men slaughtered an entire village.  We found the orphans you made there."

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »
Leon, eyeing him, did what he does best... He began to act.
    "You speak of Tileans! I am not a tilean! I am one man! I am uh... here for buisness, I am not a -ahh... uh... what is word... Soldier?!"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
"They were dressed as you were, and wearing odd helmets, the same as your men were described as wearing before they left."  This caused Frederick to pause a moment.  "Where are the rest of your men?"

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2009, 05:53:25 PM »
Leon shrugs, playing the role of the helpless clueless fool. "I am messanger, man of word and paper! I no'know where men are... They uh... Not under me... I am jus' servent of my ... uh... Lord?"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
The language barrier was making this increasingly frustrating.  He wished they had brought the orphans with them, though another part of him felt that frightened children would make terrible witnesses.  He took a deep breath, and thought.  This man, and his soldiers, fit the description, came here from the west at the right time, and he had even stated they were soldiers.  Was this enough to condemn the Estalian to death?  His knights were getting anxious; they had made the decision in their minds already, and were waiting for blood.  Frederick now became concerned that, if he changed his mind, his men would defy him and slay the stranger anyway.

Ultimately, he made the decision to side with his men.  Someone needed to die for what happened, and this man certainly fit what they were looking for.  Besides, this was the Border Princes, people died here all the time, and this Estalia place of his was far enough away that no one would know what happened.  He nodded to one of the knights, who drew his sword and went to stand before Leon, lining up the blade to plunge it into the man's belly.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »
Leon, struggling, keeps pleading and begging. Mostly in his native tongue. Over and over he talks of his Lord and him being just a messanger. The Estalian was beginning to struggle by this point and causing quite the scene. Local villagers began to watch the commotion, finding it to be tonight's entertainment.

The 20 knights, trotted slowly down the dirt road, joking of their exploits. They could see the town by now, but it was still a good distance away. They were in no rush, and they were in a good mood, today was a good day. Rodreigo even began to sing another song in their native tongue. The song was a long soft one, but still just as vulgar as the last, it involved a dwarf and his love affair with a Tilean fish monger.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:07:40 PM by Fog Of Waagh »

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2009, 06:09:06 PM »
The Estalian's cries were interrupted, rudely, by the sound steel running through flesh.  The knight had been all too happy to follow orders, and plunged his sword to the hilt into Leon's stomach, twisting it before yanking it free.  The knights holding on to Leon's arms released him, and stepped back.  Frederick made his way back to his horse, and his men took this as a cue to get ready.  Their helms returned to their heads, the blank metal of their plate armor and helms adding to the grim manner in which they ignored Leon's pleas.  Frederick mounted his horse, but was at a loss as to what to do next.  They didn't know where the other soldiers had went, and he feared what they were doing.

Not to mention, a small part of him gnawed at the possibility he'd just killed an innocent man.  He was not enjoying that feeling.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »
    Falling down to the ground, Leon died painfully. His last thoughts were, at least I leave good body behind.

The Knights, traveled slowly down the road, singing even louder and louder. They hit the climax of their song with the note of "and thats where baby dwarves come from!" The knights were in good spirits and they felt even better, once again Rodreigo thought: "It is a good day."

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2009, 06:17:57 PM »
The Mortar Emplacement, Outside Mortensholm, IC 2524

The prisoner was brought before Luitpold, the man was looking defiantly at the Imperial. "Thankyou, Allesandro, gather your men and carry out the Don's orders." The Estalian nodded and sprinted off with his men. Luitpold looked down upon the prisoner, his face and clothes were blackened with soot. The Captain took a firm hold of the man's collar, dragging him to the Don's Pavilion.

The prisoner was kept chained to a wagon some twenty paces from the pavilion, two stout guards watching over him. It was an uncivilised hour and Luitpold did not want to incur the Don's wrath by waking him.

---

Allesandro crouched with his men next to the pile of corpses, shouting his orders over the roar from the Mortars and the bustle of the crew manning them. The Duelists nodded as they understood the orders, hefting their heavy knives and grabbing the corpses.

As the dawn sun breached the horizon, it's light fell upon a grisly sight. A row of stakes had been set up before the gates of the city, like a row of vines, the heads of the raiding force set upon them like oversized gory fruit.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »
Alphonse watched the Knights walking their horses along the road from the long grass. They were singing a baudy song in their variation of Tilean, probably from Tobaro, Alphonse thought.

He let out a soft bird call, signalling to his men to keep tracking the horsemen.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
The men started riding along the road that went through the town, in the direction the townsfolk told them they last saw the strangers heading.  They left the body for the moment; Frederick would return for it if they failed to find the enemies they sought.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2009, 06:30:54 PM »
   Rodreigo, turning to his men pipes up loudly. "One of you ride ahead and get Leon, tell him were home... and we have his drinky-drink!" One of the knights, grinning happily nods and urges his horse on. He broke off from the rest and began a fast ride towards the town, leaveing the rest to slowly trot behind slowly.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2009, 06:33:43 PM »
As the man approached the town, he saw nearly two score men in plate riding their barded horses straight towards Rodreigo's band.  The men, for their part, stopped as they saw him approach.  After a brief pause, Frederick yelled out "Charge!" and the entire company roared forward towards the hapless rider.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
   The rider, rideing on in confussion, eyes the group advanceing towards him with a look of cruiosity. The rider slows his horse down and eyes the barbarians rideing towards him at the double quick. The other knights, seeing this from the distance, keep on trotting, thinking nothing of it. Rodreigo, turning to his knights once more speaks aloud. "Keep to the Right, give them room to pass, don't want to be in their way eh?!"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2009, 06:41:14 PM »
The decision to keep to the side, they soon realize, may not be the best decision.  Rodreigo and his men are able to see the stunned man lose his head, literally, as a passing knight swings his sword right on target.  The Estalian's body topples off his horse, its impact with the ground obscured as they continue on, shouting and brandishing their weapons.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2009, 06:46:16 PM »
Rodreigo, looking in with shock, quickly turns to his men and urges them on. "CHARGE! CHARGE! Kill them!" The knights, forming up quickly, charge head on, swords raised and swinging. Rodreigo, letting the other men pass him, spurs his horse into the field, off to the side of the road, urgeing his horse as fast as he can away from the conflict. Rodreigo, for all his boasting, was truely a coward, and he expressed this fully by his escape. Rideing as hard as his horse can take him, Rodreigo leaves his men behind to hold the Dawnstriders back.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2009, 07:05:23 PM »
The lead rider had ran his horse hard away from the band of raiders, fleeing the charging Dawnstriders. Alphonse, rising out from the grass with his men swung his bow in a vicious circle, the strong wood punching them man from his bolting horse. The Estalian landed heavily on the ground with a grunt, the bottle he was clutching broken on the floor next to him. The Huntsmen surrounded the hapless man, their long knives drawn, their intent clear.

Rodriego's screams sounded out for a full ten minutes.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
The work was bloody, the Dawnstriders hacking away at their debauched foes.  In their murderous haste, the heavy knights had not even noticed Rodreigo's flight, or his screams.  They were intent upon finishing these barbaric invaders, and fought like men possessed.